Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
Mr-Jakk

Question 8th Fret Buzz

Been having major fret buzz problems with my Les Paul. The 8th fret buzzes on every string. I tightened the truss rod a quarter turn, and it didn't move the buzz to another fret, but only made it worse on the 8th fret. Before I tightened it, the neck already had a decent, not yet too far, bow. Should I loosen it a little more than before or just say screw it and take it to a tech? btw, how much would it usually cost to bring it in for repairs? Also, I've raised and lowered the action, and that seems to have no effect on it either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mr-Jakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
TVeye
Not Worth It......

Seems you have a high fret or too much bow (should be about a business card thickness.)
TVeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
Keefer1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVeye
Seems you have a high fret or too much bow (should be about a business card thickness.)

Wrong answer. At the 8th, normally it should be around an 8ths inch give or take a 32nd to 64ths.

If you have a long straight edge, place it across the frets to determine if you have a raised fret. Keep in mind that the neck has to be adjusted to the point where there is slight relief.
Keefer1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
TVeye
Not Worth It......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefer1966
Wrong answer. At the 8th, normally it should be around an 8ths inch give or take a 32nd to 64ths.

If you have a long straight edge, place it across the frets to determine if you have a raised fret. Keep in mind that the neck has to be adjusted to the point where there is slight relief.

You are obviously not capo-ing the first fret then.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:

Putting a straight edge across all of the frets will only confuse him. The best thing to do is to use a rocker, something straight and small enough to span 3 frets, and see if it rocks on the suspected high fret.

The truss rod should be adjusted before doing this. Fret the 6th string at the first and last fret(use a capo on the first fret if you have one), and then check the distance between the 7th fret and string. You can use a feeler gauge and adjust to a specific measurement, but I prefer to set it to about a credit card's thickness, and then increase the back bow until the low frets buzz, then I back it off juts a bit. But if you may have a high fret, it might be best to set it to a specific measurement, assuming you have a feeler gauge. But it really doesn't matter too much atm, since you are only trying to get it in the ballpark and determine whether or not you have a high fret.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
Keefer1966

Capo-ed or not, it should never be 12 pt (thickness) at the 8th.
Keefer1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
Mr-Jakk

So I capoed the first fret and held the 22nd checking the 8th and 9th and 10th frets. All three were at 1/64th. I also used an allen wrench as a straight edge for three frets,(not sure if an allen wrench is considered a good straight edge) and is didn't seem as though the 9th or 10th frets were any higher. Starting to suspect that I don't really have a high fret. I'm going to trying W4rpig's idea tonight and tighten up the truss rod until I get buzz in the 1st frets, then back it off a bit. Afterwards I'll check my heights and such again to see what I'm really getting seeing as the neck is quite bowed at the moment.

Also, a credit card's thickness I measured is about 2/64ths, and when I capo the first fret and hold the 22nd and measure, I'm getting around 1/64. How exactly do I get it to 2/64? Does that come from loosening/tightening the truss rod?
Old 01-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Jakk
So I capoed the first fret and held the 22nd checking the 8th and 9th and 10th frets. All three were at 1/64th. I also used an allen wrench as a straight edge for three frets,(not sure if an allen wrench is considered a good straight edge) and is didn't seem as though the 9th or 10th frets were any higher. Starting to suspect that I don't really have a high fret. I'm going to trying W4rpig's idea tonight and tighten up the truss rod until I get buzz in the 1st frets, then back it off a bit. Afterwards I'll check my heights and such again to see what I'm really getting seeing as the neck `1is quite bowed at the moment.

Also, a credit card's thickness I measured is about 2/64ths, and when I capo the first fret and hold the 22nd and measure, I'm getting around 1/64. How exactly do I get it to 2/64? Does that come from loosening/tightening the truss rod?

If you need to make the gap larger will need to loosen the truss rod. Also, always check and setup your truss rod in the playing position, with out pulling or pushing on the neck.

And to check for a high fret, you do not need to measure anything. Just use a fret rocker. I find that a stiff plastic card, like a Safeway or Kroger supermarket card works well, but you'll need to trim it down to make sure it only sits across 3 frets. All you are doing is placing something across 3 frets and seeing it if rocks back and forth. If it does, the fret in the middle is probably high.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
Mr-Jakk

Oooh okay, rechecked the 9th fret with an old credit card and there is definitely some rocking going on there. No rocking anywhere else thankfully. What can I do to fix this high fret?..
Old 01-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #10
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

The fret has probably come unseated. If you have a hammer, preferably one with a hard plastic face, you can pound it back down. You'll want to support the back of the neck, probably with a book, and make sure the headstock isn't touching anything. You can use a metal hammer, as long as it has a clean, smooth face, and you don't go to town on it. Frets are fairly hard, but metal hammers are harder, just keep that in mind.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #11
Mr-Jakk

Okay, gave it a few good hits. There's definitely a little bit of an improvement. Still some rocking with the straight edge, and still some buzz. Thinking I might have to file down that fret a wee bit?
Old 01-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #12
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Tap it from one end to the other. If it's high, then filing it down instead of reseating it is a bad idea.

Actually, I take that back. Start from the middle and go out to each end.

Last edited by W4RP1G : 01-27-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #13
Mr-Jakk

Still getting quite a bit of rocking.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #14
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Look at it closely, is there a gap between the fret and fretboard?

If so, something needs to be down to seat it properly. It's useless to level a fret that is so loose. The correct way to do it would be to pull it, crimp it to make it catch the slot, and reinstall it. Possibly a leveling after that, but it might not be necessary.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:25 AM   #15
TVeye
Not Worth It......

Quote:
Capo-ed or not, it should never be 12 pt (thickness) at the 8th.

If you don't know how to set neck relief..... you shouldn't give advice about it or tell people that do they are wrong.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #16
Mr-Jakk

Okay, so I ended up just pulling out the fret, and resetting it. Afterwards, I gave it just a tad bit of leveling and everything's good now. No more fret buzz. Thanks for all the help folks! Cheers!

Rate This Thread: