Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
GS LEAD 5

Cant quite make out the scale in a song

I really like the feel that the notes this guy plays brings out. It seems to be a single scale of some sort, no changes in the type, but I'm probably wrong having a rather imperfect ear. Either way, I can't figure out what sort this is, if he's playing in plain Major or if he's using suggestive play with Lydian. Would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction here!
Peavey KB4

DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?

Last edited by GS LEAD 5 : 01-27-2013 at 02:16 PM.
GS LEAD 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
cdgraves

The chords are D#m9 and Bmaj7. Or, Em9 and Cmaj7 if you play in standard tuning.

The notes in the harmonies are D# F# A# C# E#, and B D# F# A#. Add them up, starting with the tonic: D# E# F# (G#) A# B C#. Looks like natural minor to me!
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
GS LEAD 5

Natural minor? The song sounds pretty happy and trippy to me :| anything I try writing in minor tends to sound...well....minor. Must be doing something wrong then.

Either way, thanks a lot for clearing that up really appreciate it.
Peavey KB4

DSP's FTW

You Liek Digitech?
GS LEAD 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
cdgraves

minor 7 chords (and their extensions) have a really mellow sound, unlike the plain minor triad. This player jazzed up his/her chords to get a spacier so as to avoid screaming MINOR KEY. Throwing in those 7ths and 9ths really opens up the minor key - the "modal" sound you heard was likely the guitar leads accenting the 9th (E#) while taking a solo.

Try it yourself! Play an Am7 x0555x and then use your pinky to play with the B, C, and G (x05557, x05558, x0558x).
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS LEAD 5
Natural minor? The song sounds pretty happy and trippy to me :| anything I try writing in minor tends to sound...well....minor. Must be doing something wrong then..

Probably it's related to what you said about your ear not being that great.

Diatonic harmony is incredibly flexible. If you're writing without strong guidance from your ear (you should know the sound you want BEFORE the pick hits the string) then you're just sort of stumbling around and you're likely to produce stuff that sounds generically minor.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: