Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > 80s Rock, Shred & Progressive
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
NickBech

Opinions on Steve Vai?

I guess the title really explains most...

I've heard all the hype about Steve Vai, and the fact that he played with Frank Zappa leads me to believe that someone thinks he's got some chops but...

Seriously, I think the guy is a joke. It's the purest form of guitar wankery and his sense of musical place is almost non-existant.

I mean...
Old 01-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
TomSawyerRush

I like the triple neck, but I never really cared that much for him.
TomSawyerRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
shredder3386
Lord of the Strings

That video is not the best way to judge him, although I will admit I do find some of his stuff hard to listen to. If you want to give him a real chance I suggest listening to "Passion and Warfare." That album is incredible.

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Ibanez S5470F
Ibanez RGD2127fx
Schecter Hellraiser C-7 FR
Axe FX II
Mackie HD1221
shredder3386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Gui_Lux

Listen to his latest album, it might change your mind.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
awesomo41894

I disagree completely, the guys a genius. Listen to Frank, Juice, his new album, bad horsie, for the love of god, building the church, and tender surrender. The guy is a god.
awesomo41894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
Szarlih

An opinion on Steve himself: from the interviews he appears to be a very nice, funny and surprisingly humble guy with a lot of distance for his own music (he would probably be the first guy to saythat his music really is the way you described it).
Szarlih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
tappooh

Im not a fan of his songs but he can definitely play. I watch the Tender Surrender video on Youtube once in a while, I think hes obsessed trying to reach perfection in all aspects but he puts up a good show and is entertaining to watch.

My Buckethead covers (I don't dress up like him)
tappooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBech
Seriously, I think the guy is a joke. It's the purest form of guitar wankery and his sense of musical place is almost non-existant.

If you think that about Steve Vai then I dread to think what you think about guys like Rusty Cooley...
Random3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #9
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Never been a fan either. Sure, he may be technically brilliant but I find people like Billy Duffy far more entertaining and inspiring, he can do more with 2 notes in a whole song than Vai can do with 1,000 notes a minute!
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
Kromeo

The reason why he is my favourite guitarist is because he is so far out there. He is not everyone's cup of tea, but he does have some great songs/albums, which are mentioned above
Kromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #11
supersac

some of his music is quite different or just difficult to listen to...air guitar hell comes to mind
but he does seem like a nice guy he has written some amzing peices
like bad horsie and for the love of god
i havent heard his new album in it entirety but what i have heard its good

he does seem to want to perfect everything in his technique and seems humble enough about his playing considering hes steve vai

but he does seem to love what he does though so i have nothing but respect for the guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #12
AnuGunn

DLR's Eat 'em and Smile is one of my all-time favorite guitar albums. I wish he would do an occasional guest appearance with singers again (who don't treat him like a god <cough> Whitesnake<cough>).
AnuGunn.com
AnuGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #13
sock_demon
Ol' Dirty

Great composer, amazing showman, and a fluid player. and the faces

Oh, god, the faces.

In a word: Brilliant.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #14
youngsharon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBech
I guess the title really explains most...

I've heard all the hype about Steve Vai, and the fact that he played with Frank Zappa leads me to believe that someone thinks he's got some chops but...

I mean...

I have listened to passion and warfare, sex and religion, alien love secrets, fire garden, the 7th song, & and the story of light. I don't like him. I enjoy music that has a mood and feeling associated with it. I listened to all the above mentioned album because of all the hype about him. I thought may be it one of those people whose music you have to listen to multiple times to really get into it, but even after multiple listens, it just doesn't do it for me.
youngsharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #15
Lemoninfluence
Masculist

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngsharon
I have listened to passion and warfare, sex and religion, alien love secrets, fire garden, the 7th song, & and the story of light. I don't like him. I enjoy music that has a mood and feeling associated with it. I listened to all the above mentioned album because of all the hype about him. I thought may be it one of those people whose music you have to listen to multiple times to really get into it, but even after multiple listens, it just doesn't do it for me.

and you didn't enjoy Tender Surrender or For the Love of God or Bad Horsie or Erotic Nightmares?

None of them?

Maybe I'm just imagining a mood or feelings when I listen to that stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Lemoninfluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #16
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

About 30% of his stuff is brilliant (and I hate that word) the rest I don't really like at all. I love his style though, gives me goosebumps sometimes.
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #17
youngsharon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoninfluence
and you didn't enjoy Tender Surrender or For the Love of God or Bad Horsie or Erotic Nightmares?

None of them?

Maybe I'm just imagining a mood or feelings when I listen to that stuff.

Off course I did, infact Tender Surrender is one of my favorite Vai songs, But I am used to listening to concept albums. I am not into singles. 'The 7th Song' has a number of good songs in it, but its a compilation album.

I enjoy listening to full albums where all the songs are related to each other and the whole albums has a story or a theme. Yes, Vai has that stuff, but there isn't one Vai album that I would list as my top albums.
youngsharon is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: