Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

Coil split switch

I'm wanting to change the pickups on my guitar to some DiMarzios with 4 conductor wiring method. Currently have 2 humbuckers with a 3-way toggle switch, 1 volume and 1 tone. I'm gonna be drilling holes to allow me to have a second volume control, and also a mini-toggle switch for coil tapping, as push-pull pots don't appeal to me.

Confusion here, is that I don't know what type of toggle switch to get for coil tapping. I know that I want it to coil tap both pickups at the same time, rather than have a separate one for each pickup, but I see things like DPDT or SPDT and on-off-on, on-on or on-on-on and also 4 pole 4PDT. All I know is that I want a 2 position switch with humbucking mode on one side, and single coils/coil splitted mode on the other side.

Any help is much appreciated, cheers
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
james4

all you need is a DPDT switch.
4pdt would work, but you'd have an unnecessarily big switch and only use half of it.

on-on, on-off-on, and on-on-on descriptions don't tell you how many poles the switch has, but just tells you the physical function
so you'll want an on-on, as the other two types have three positions

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
james4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
LeviMan_2001

Yep, on-on dpdt. Have fun, once you know what type of switch you want, you can choose what you want it to look like!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

Can anyone find me a wiring diagram on how to wire a DPDT on/on switch to coil split both humbuckers at same time, with 2 volumes and 1 tone shown too? Had no luck with seymour duncan and dimarzio websites, as I'm finding different wiring diagrams from google searches and way confused
Old 02-02-2013, 05:15 AM   #5
RebuildIt

Exclamation

Post with bad image retracted!!!

Last edited by RebuildIt : 02-03-2013 at 05:22 AM. Reason: my picture sucks
RebuildIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:48 AM   #6
LeviMan_2001

That is a horribly confusing looking diagram haha i'm sorry, but gack. Lemme draw one.

So this just adds into your current wiring, it doesn't tie into the volume or tone pots.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:14 AM   #7
RebuildIt

Thanks LeviMan. That is so simple. Am I allowed to delete mine? I would hate for someone to accidentally find it and somehow not see yours.
RebuildIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
LeviMan_2001

Haha sure I don't care! Thanks man. Another thing to mention should be that this will tap to the more neck most positions. If you want to tap one or the other pickups to the other coil, switch the lug that goes to ground to one that goes to that pickup's hot. I personally would always go to the more neckmost coil.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

Cheers for replies and wiring diagram guys, last bit of confusion would be whether the top 2 slots from there would be the 2 closer to the switch itself, or further away from the switch? If that makes sense haha

Rate This Thread: