Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #201
losing battle
UG's Trollestia
 
losing battle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stealing your underpants!
It's all about the owners, the same goes for any dog.
__________________
BTMAM was never relevant
Quote:
Originally Posted by chookiecookie
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:39 AM   #202
the bartender
Biologist
 
the bartender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: the Netherlands
All my rage. All of it.
__________________
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children

You must not do it anymore
the bartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:00 AM   #203
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
 
SlackerBabbath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Burnley, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
As has been mentioned, any breed of dog's personality relies heavily on its owner. That being said, pit bulls have really naturally strong, locking jaws, and that's what makes them good candidates for dog fighting, and what makes them particularly dangerous.

Actualy, the thing that REALLY makes them such good candidates for dog fighting is their willingness to please their owner and do whatever they are told, including going through a lot of pain, which is also what's really sad about dog fighting, the very same thing that makes them such dangerous fighters is also the thing that makes them such good and loyal pets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
EDIT: I'm not saying people shouldn't be allowed to own Pit Bulls. My point is that there is no way anyone can say that a pit bull isn't naturally more aggressive than almost any other type of dog out there. Yes, it can be curbed with training. However, and untrained pit bull is FAR more likely to be violent than an untrained Irish Terrier, or an untrained Bloodhound.

Pit bulls are generally instinctively violent.

No, that's not correct.
Pit bulls have no more natural aggression as any other dog, it's just that they tend to have a lot more strength than the average dog, so any aggression that they may have is more efficiently channelled, infact, the most aggressive dogs I've ever met have all been small dogs like Chihuahuas, Jack Russells and Yorkshire Terriers.
Having raised several pit bulls and related breeds, I can tell you that the natural state of mind for one is actualy more like one of playfulness.
__________________
“Our life is what our thoughts make it.”
― Marcus Aurelius

Slacker's Art Website.
SlackerBabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:23 AM   #204
20Tigers
1
 
20Tigers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerBabbath
Pit bulls have no more natural aggression as any other dog,

Dogs have instinctive traits that are bred into them. There are things they just know how to do without specific training, or have a natural tendency toward.

Heelers will nip at feet. They don't have to be shown how to do it they just do it. Dobermans don't need extra protection training they are naturally brave and loyal. They will fiercely defend their masters if necessary with no training to do so.

A Golden Retriever on the other hand does not have the same protection instincts and is very unlikely to attack an intruder or perceived threat to master or property even with training.

Different breeds have different temperaments. Some will more readily attack other dogs or people than other breeds.
__________________
Si
20Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #205
ali.guitarkid7
a real man
 
ali.guitarkid7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: punk ass white boy
http://www.dogguide.net/blog/2008/0...l-be-surprised/


just saw this posted on my timeline on fb

pitbulls and rottweilers scored average/below average
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickman411
We're all the best except for Ali.

look at you scared now hoe
ali.guitarkid7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #206
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
 
Arby911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali.guitarkid7
http://www.dogguide.net/blog/2008/0...l-be-surprised/


just saw this posted on my timeline on fb

pitbulls and rottweilers scored average/below average


I've seen that, but I'm always a good bit skeptical about any 'study' that uses self-reporting as a methodology because it's extremely hard to quantify and correct for bias.
__________________
The man who holds to a belief because of tradition, or hides it because he fears he may be shown to be wrong, does not love the truth but manifests a coward’s faithfulness to his prejudices.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:14 AM   #207
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
 
SlackerBabbath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Burnley, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Tigers
Dogs have instinctive traits that are bred into them. There are things they just know how to do without specific training, or have a natural tendency toward.

Heelers will nip at feet. They don't have to be shown how to do it they just do it.

Heelers are usualy very short dogs, what else are they going to nip at?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Tigers
Dobermans don't need extra protection training they are naturally brave and loyal. They will fiercely defend their masters if necessary with no training to do so.

Most dogs will naturaly do this, it's a pack instinct, although a Doberman's build will give it a large advantage over many other dogs. The thing about the Doberman that is pretty specific to the breed though is that they will attack silently and without warning, usualy taking their victim by complete surprise, which can be a big advantage in an emergency situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Tigers
A Golden Retriever on the other hand does not have the same protection instincts and is very unlikely to attack an intruder or perceived threat to master or property even with training.

I disagree, a Golden Retriever is highly likely to attack a percieved threat, practicaly any breed of dog would do the same.
Funnily enough, a breed that often tops the lists of the most recorded dog bites in many countries is the Labrador Retriever, a very close relation to the Golden Retriever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Tigers
Different breeds have different temperaments. Some will more readily attack other dogs or people than other breeds.

This is true, but only to a certain extent, almost any dog will attack other dogs or people if they percieve them to be a threat to their surrogate pack, which usualy includes a dog's owners and their family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali.guitarkid7
http://www.dogguide.net/blog/2008/0...l-be-surprised/


just saw this posted on my timeline on fb

pitbulls and rottweilers scored average/below average

I've seen that, but I'm always a good bit skeptical about any 'study' that uses self-reporting as a methodology because it's extremely hard to quantify and correct for bias.

Agreed, but it really shouldn't be so surpising to discover that dachshunds are a very aggressive breed. They belong to the 'hound' family and were infact bred for flushing badgers out of their sets, which most certainly requires a very aggressive streak.
__________________
“Our life is what our thoughts make it.”
― Marcus Aurelius

Slacker's Art Website.

Last edited by SlackerBabbath : 01-31-2013 at 04:26 AM.
SlackerBabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:41 AM   #208
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
 
Arby911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerBabbath

Agreed, but it really shouldn't be so surpising to discover that dachshunds are a very aggressive breed. They belong to the 'hound' family and were infact bred for flushing badgers out of their sets, which most certainly requires a very aggressive streak.


Agreed, and thanks...
__________________
The man who holds to a belief because of tradition, or hides it because he fears he may be shown to be wrong, does not love the truth but manifests a coward’s faithfulness to his prejudices.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:18 AM   #209
VanTheKraut
How tough am I?!
 
VanTheKraut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kansas City, Kansas.
German shepherds are used as police dogs, guard dogs, attack dogs (by militaries and police forces the world over), and were originally bred to kill wolves. They also grow to be larger than Pitbulls. As a result, they're fiercely defensive and dangerous if handled improperly. The difference is they have a face that the general public has decided is cute and a Pit does not. Hence the stigma towards Pits.
__________________
Better, Faster, Stronger
Kansas City Chiefs
Kansas State Wildcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Old Country. Old Blues. Old Rock. Old Metal. Gangsta Rap.
VanTheKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:02 AM   #210
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
 
SlackerBabbath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Burnley, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Agreed, and thanks...

But don't be mistaken into thinking that the example of aggression in a hunting dog, like a dachshund, is the same as aggression in a fighting dog, like a pit bull.

They are actualy based upon different instincts. A hunting dog's aggression comes from an instinctual need to kill for food for the pack, while a fighting dog's aggression comes from an instinctual need to protect the pack, which doesn't necessarily require the need to kill but rather the need to dominate the opposition.

If fighting dogs worked from the same instincts as hunting dogs, dog fights would be over much quicker with the death of one dog or the other, which, believe it or not, is the last thing that dog fighting enthusiasts want. Dog fighting enthusiasts want a dog fight to last for a while, they want to see a competition where both dogs recieve bites and wounds all over their bodies but still continue to fight. They don't want it to be decided upon which dog rips the other dog's throat out and kills it first.
The aggression in a fighting dog is actualy aggression with a certain amount of restraint, and that actualy takes a lot of training and conditioning and requires a dog that will do as it's master tells it.

When dogs fight each other away from human influences, it's usualy about display and dominance and the fight is usualy over when one dog or the other becomes submissive. THAT is natural and instinctual behaviour for dogs, so it requires training and conditioning to break that natural behaviour so that dogs will fight for a longer period of time.

A hunting dog will hunt and kill instinctualy with very little training required (infact the only training that is usualy required is to prevent the dog from eating the prey or running off with it) but a fighting dog requires lots of training and conditioning to make it fight another dog for long periods of time. Without that training and conditioning, pit bulls are usualy (there are always exeptions to the general rule) loving, loyal dogs that often make very good family pets.
__________________
“Our life is what our thoughts make it.”
― Marcus Aurelius

Slacker's Art Website.
SlackerBabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #211
Jack Off Jill
Is Voting MakinLattes.
 
Jack Off Jill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Elmo's World.
Mine was beaten as a puppy. He's never attacked anyone and he's gentle. I've actually never met a mean pit bull. They've always seemed like the most loyal breed I've seen.

In fact, just the other day I was stomping around the house in a Halloween mask with a knife, and my pit just kinda hid in the corner whereas our little dog tried to scare me off. We used to have a poodle that would start fights with him and he would just lay on his stomach or back and let the poodle win the playfight.

Granted, he was neutered after I got him. Maybe the unneuterd ones are more aggressive. But I suspect the people who think they're particularly aggressive have never owned one. It worried me when I found him because I believed what I heard about pits. I wasn't going to keep him but I figured he'd die if he was taken to a kennel.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwinn
there are plenty of dogs that weren't bred for killing. besides, you must be deliberately missing the point.

if you raised a bengal tiger from birth in your house to adulthood, would you expect it to attack you? of course, we know this happens. tigers are genetically predisposed to attack people. why then is it so hard to believe that a breed of dog could have a similar predisposition? it cannot possibly be all in how you raise it; a wolf raised from birth by humans is still likely to attack, if its anything like big cats.

Wolves work under chain of command. If they are raised by humans, they will have one alpha male. They don't tend to show much respect to the other members of the family because of this. Dogs don't work that way. Although, in my experience, most dogs seem to have someone they like best in the family. Dogs can consider several people to outrank them.

That's why dog owners need to grow a pair and establish themselves as leaders who the dog is dependent upon.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.

Last edited by Jack Off Jill : 02-01-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Jack Off Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #212
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
 
Arby911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanTheKraut
German shepherds are used as police dogs, guard dogs, attack dogs (by militaries and police forces the world over), and were originally bred to kill wolves. They also grow to be larger than Pitbulls. As a result, they're fiercely defensive and dangerous if handled improperly. The difference is they have a face that the general public has decided is cute and a Pit does not. Hence the stigma towards Pits.



Well yeah, that and the fact that they kill more people every year than any other breed...that just might play a part as well.
__________________
The man who holds to a belief because of tradition, or hides it because he fears he may be shown to be wrong, does not love the truth but manifests a coward’s faithfulness to his prejudices.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #213
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
 
SlackerBabbath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Burnley, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Off Jill
Mine was beaten as a puppy. He's never attacked anyone and he's gentle. I've actually never met a mean pit bull. They've always seemed like the most loyal breed I've seen.

In fact, just the other day I was stomping around the house in a Halloween mask with a knife, and my pit just kinda hid in the corner whereas our little dog tried to scare me off. We used to have a poodle that would start fights with him and he would just lay on his stomach or back and let the poodle win the playfight.

We used to have a pit bull that would regularly get bullied by our cat. The cat would see it eating, calmly walk up to it, beat seven shades of shit out of it and then sit there eating the poor dog's meat while it sat there watching. The dog could easily have bitten the cat in half but it just wasn't in it's nature. But believe me it was a completely different story if it thought that any of our family, including the cat, were being threatened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Off Jill
Granted, he was neutered after I got him. Maybe the unneuterd ones are more aggressive.

There are cases where overly aggressive dogs can be calmed down by neutering, but that's certainly not limited to just pit bulls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Off Jill
But I suspect the people who think they're particularly aggressive have never owned one.

I think you just hit the nail squarely on the head there. That said though, not everyone is ideal for owning a pit bull, they require the right kind of care, treatment and training/conditioning. They are a very powerful dog that can be extremely dangerous when out of control, but then that can be said for almost any large breed of dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Off Jill
Wolves work under chain of command. If they are raised by humans, they will have one alpha male. They don't tend to show much respect to the other members of the family because of this. Dogs don't work that way. Although, in my experience, most dogs seem to have someone they like best in the family. Dogs can consider several people to outrank them.

That's why dog owners need to grow a pair and establish themselves as leaders who the dog is dependent upon.

Agreed completely, although you don't need to be aggressive towards a dog to establish yourself as it's leader, all it takes is calm assertiveness.
__________________
“Our life is what our thoughts make it.”
― Marcus Aurelius

Slacker's Art Website.

Last edited by SlackerBabbath : 02-02-2013 at 09:00 AM.
SlackerBabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #214
Neo Evil11
Banned
 
Neo Evil11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Arkham Asylum
All animals are naturally vicious.
Neo Evil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #215
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
 
SlackerBabbath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Burnley, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Well yeah, that and the fact that they kill more people every year than any other breed...that just might play a part as well.


But why is that? Is it because of the dog's nature? Is it because of the way the dog has been handled, or could the percentage of people being killed by pit bulls corelate to the sheer number of pit bulls out there?

Imagine that only 50 pit bulls existed in the whole world and that every other dog in the world was a spaniel and there was literaly millions of them. At some point or another, some those spaniels will be responsible in some way or another for the death of a person. That's not particularly because spaniels are an aggressive breed, (although it's not unknown in some spaniels) that's just down to probability given the number of spaniels in that scenario.

Pit bulls are a VERY popular dog. There's a lot of pit bulls out there. Hell, they're illegal to own or breed here and it's still pretty easy to aquire a pit bull puppy, that's how popular they are, they are legislated against and it hasn't really made that much difference to their numbers at all.
They're also the dog of choice in gang culture, which makes many of them more likely to be trained and used to attack other people, which you can train any dog to do, regardless of it's breed.
__________________
“Our life is what our thoughts make it.”
― Marcus Aurelius

Slacker's Art Website.
SlackerBabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #216
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
 
Arby911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerBabbath
But why is that? Is it because of the dog's nature? Is it because of the way the dog has been handled, or could the percentage of people being killed by pit bulls corelate to the sheer number of pit bulls out there?

Imagine that only 50 pit bulls existed in the whole world and that every other dog in the world was a spaniel and there was literaly millions of them. At some point or another, some those spaniels will be responsible in some way or another for the death of a person. That's not particularly because spaniels are an aggressive breed, (although it's not unknown in some spaniels) that's just down to probability given the number of spaniels in that scenario.

Pit bulls are a VERY popular dog. There's a lot of pit bulls out there. Hell, they're illegal to own or breed here and it's still pretty easy to aquire a pit bull puppy, that's how popular they are, they are legislated against and it hasn't really made that much difference to their numbers at all.
They're also the dog of choice in gang culture, which makes many of them more likely to be trained and used to attack other people, which you can train any dog to do, regardless of it's breed.



Wait, is it your serious contention that Pits are more popular than any other breed?

Really?

The American, UK and Canadian Kennel Clubs all disagree.
__________________
The man who holds to a belief because of tradition, or hides it because he fears he may be shown to be wrong, does not love the truth but manifests a coward’s faithfulness to his prejudices.

Last edited by Arby911 : 02-02-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #217
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
 
SlackerBabbath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Burnley, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Wait, is it your serious contention that Pits are more popular than any other breed?

Really?

Wait, is that what you're seriously choosing to pretend that I said?

Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
The American, UK and Canadian Kennel Clubs all disagree.


Wait, you're saying the American, UK and Canadian Kennel Clubs all disagree that pit pulls are a 'VERY popular breed of dog'? (which is what I actualy said about them in the post you quoted)

Really?

And you trust these sources that say that pit bulls are not a popular breed? Or are you infact misquoting them when you claim that they disagree that pit bulls are a popular breed?

The point I'm making is that there will invariably be more attacks attributed to more popular breeds because they exist in larger numbers because of their popularity. It's like lions and tigers, there are more attacks on humans made by lions than tigers simply because tigers are much rarer than lions.
__________________
“Our life is what our thoughts make it.”
― Marcus Aurelius

Slacker's Art Website.

Last edited by SlackerBabbath : 02-03-2013 at 09:57 AM.
SlackerBabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #218
HeretiK538
Petrol
 
HeretiK538's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Leicestershire, UK
My dad was involved in a study on this - managed to get his name onto BBC News, so it's all legit http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-18175053

The jist is, aggressive people are more likely to get aggressive dogs, but it's an interesting read
__________________
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
HeretiK538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #219
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
 
SlackerBabbath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Burnley, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeretiK538
My dad was involved in a study on this - managed to get his name onto BBC News, so it's all legit http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-18175053

The jist is, aggressive people are more likely to get aggressive dogs, but it's an interesting read

That is interesting.

Y'see, as said earlier, it really isn't a case of some breeds of dogs being aggressive and other breeds not, dogs are all individuals which may turn out to be aggressive or passive or anything inbetween based upon any of several contributing factors, breed being a much less contributing factor than conditioning. In other words, a dog's behaviour is based more upon nurture than nature. It's just that powerful dogs make for bigger headlines when they are raised to be aggressive and end up hurting someone, because they invariably do a lot more damage that less powerful but equally aggressive dogs.
For example, a dachshund is usualy far more naturaly aggressive than a bull terrier, but a bull terrier will always be able to do much more damage to you than a dachshund.

So if aggressive people are owning particular breeds, then lots of members of those particular breeds are being raised in an aggressive manner, making them aggressive themselves, which is obviously just making their reputation worse, which is quite unfare when you think about it.
__________________
“Our life is what our thoughts make it.”
― Marcus Aurelius

Slacker's Art Website.
SlackerBabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #220
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
 
Arby911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerBabbath
Is that what you're choosing to pretend that I said?

Really?


The American, UK and Canadian Kennel Clubs all disagree that pit pulls are a very popular breed?

Really?

And you trust these sources that say that pit bulls are not a popular breed? Or are you infact misquoting them when you claim that they disagree that pit bulls are a popular breed?


It's not what I'm choosing, it's what you directly implied. You asked if the numbers could be correlated to "the sheer number of pit bulls out there" and given that well over half of the fatal dog attacks are pit bulls said correlation would mean that to allege a statistical norm they must make up over half of the canine population, making them the most popular breed by a magnificent margin.

Except that they aren't.

You then took it even further with your "if spaniels ruled the world" scenario, a very weak attempt to again imply that Pit Bull attacks are high merely because of their sheer numbers.

Look, I know you can do basic statistical analysis and we both know your population apologetic was ridiculous, so why continue to push it? There are plenty of more rational variables that we might consider to explain the disproportionate numbers, why would you even allege such a patently false one?
__________________
The man who holds to a belief because of tradition, or hides it because he fears he may be shown to be wrong, does not love the truth but manifests a coward’s faithfulness to his prejudices.

Last edited by Arby911 : 02-03-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:30 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.