Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-28-2013, 04:24 AM   #21
stevedadaian

Most often it is due to the owner doing a poor job in taking care of the animal. That is not to say some may not have naturally dominant personalities. I used to have a Rottweiler which as most of you know are very strong and WILLFUL dogs. They get a bad reputation also and mine just happened to have a very strong personality that required firm training. They are great dogs but without proper obedience training and attention, they can really run amok and cause damage without knowing what they are really doing. I've also met a lot of pits in my day that are very sweet animals, because they had responsible owners!
stevedadaian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:31 AM   #22
smartalecG94
UG's Resident MoonMoon

Ok I personally am sick of this shitty rep pits have. When I was 9, my friend and I came across a full grown pit bull on our way home from school. She didn't have a collar, and we didn't want her to get hurt, so we took her back to his place and waited there for 6 hours for animal control to come pick her up. For that entire time, she laid at our feet, wagged her tail, and licked us and did other generally adorable dog things. No signs of viciousness, no signs of violence, same as every other goddamn pitbull I've ever met. When I mentioned the thing to my mother, she flipped the fuck out JUST because it was a pit bull. They are no more violent than any other dog, and every time I hear someone talking shit about them I get beyond pissed off. So to the world in general LAY THE FUCK OFF THE MOTHER****ING PITBULLS.

I need to go to bed...

I'm watching you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleOfSmoke
If I was a rich man in 17th century Britain, I'd totally adopt Alec and make him my heir.
smartalecG94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:50 AM   #23
muffinduck01
UG's BBW Lover

Nope, it's all in the owners. My dog is half pitbull half boxer, and he is a sweet (albeit incredibly stupid) dog. The stigma is because pitbulls have a naturally large build and some of the strongest (if not the strongest) jaws on any breed. I've been bitten by my dog on accident while playing, and yeah, it hurt like hell (far more than the black lab I owned before him), but he's never attacked anyone. Jumped on them out of excitement? Yes. Mauled them to death? No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
muffinduck01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:26 AM   #24
MadClownDisease
Just a Turing Machine.

Meh I think it's a bit idealistic to claim that different breeds of dogs don't differ in how aggressive, strong, territorial, and trusting they are, but ultimately it's just as ignorant to think that a lot of these traits can't be either reduced or exacerbated by how their raised.

In other words, some breeds may be naturally more prone to violence, but that doesn't mean that all dogs of that breed definitely will be.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:50 AM   #25
cptcomet
Band

I know a lot of people who have pitbulls and they treat their dogs right and in turn the dogs are kind creatures. Any dog can be vicious if trained to be!

(・ω・`)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
cptcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #26
MadClownDisease
Just a Turing Machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcomet
I know a lot of people who have pitbulls and they treat their dogs right and in turn the dogs are kind creatures. Any dog can be vicious if trained to be!

True, but that doesn't mean that all dogs are equally prone to being vicious.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #27
cptcomet
Band

It's true all dog breeds are different, but what other dogs receive the same stigma? The amount of pitbulls that are euthanized each year just for being pitbulls is disgusting.

(・ω・`)

Quote:
Old 01-28-2013, 07:01 AM   #28
ali.guitarkid7
Lonely Pup

Nah, pit bulls can be total sweethearts. Just don't be a dick to them
ali.guitarkid7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:04 AM   #29
CoreysMonster
Banned

All predators (including humans) have a form of vicious nature by instinct. It's always up to the owner to either reinforce or suppress it by raising the dog correctly.
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:22 AM   #30
the bartender
Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster
All predators (including humans) have a form of vicious nature by instinct. It's always up to the owner to either reinforce or suppress it by raising the dog correctly.
This, though I'd add that it also depends on personality. It's always a combination of nature & nurture.

To sacrifice these children

You must not do it anymore
the bartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:22 AM   #31
MadClownDisease
Just a Turing Machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcomet
It's true all dog breeds are different, but what other dogs receive the same stigma? The amount of pitbulls that are euthanized each year just for being pitbulls is disgusting.

Having looked it up on Wiki, I think I actually had a different understanding of what a pit bull is compared to what Wiki says.

I was imagining these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bull_Terrier

Whereas Wiki says it is these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitbull

My sister used to have a Staffy. It was lovely. Absolutely hated other dogs though. It would literally rip another animal to shreds if it had the chance (not that it ever did, btw).

The focus really should be on the owners and how these dogs are raised, but nevertheless the numbers that this article cites are pretty significant:
show
Old 01-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #32
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Pitbulls are not particularly more aggressive than other dogs, but they're stupid and difficult to care for properly, and thus can turn aggressive simply out of boredom or stubbornness.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #33
cptcomet
Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadClownDisease
My sister used to have a Staffy. It was lovely. Absolutely hated other dogs though. It would literally rip another animal to shreds if it had the chance (not that it ever did, btw).

My cousin has a Wolfhound Terrier. It's scrappy and doesn't like little dogs that bark at it, but it's just kept away from other dogs. Would never hurt a person.

The thing is in the UK, Pitbulls get a bad rep, and it's only because it's the chavs go-to dog. They train them to hurt people, but you could train a pitbull to be gentle. They just need to be trained in a right way. I think people should take more care when they sell the dogs to people as well.

(・ω・`)

Quote:
Old 01-28-2013, 07:44 AM   #34
AcidParadox

My family owns 3 purebred pitbulls, though we've had to leave them in my uncle's care due to recently moving and they're freaking banned down here, and we don't have the money to pay for accommodations to keep them, like a giant cage and fence and stuff.

They're angels (well, the 2 girls are.) One of the girls is a blue pit, the other is black with white spots. The blue pit loves children, and being around people. The black and white one is really playful and sweet, people say they love her. The only slightly aggressive one is the boy, but that's because we've trained him to be a guard dog. I can't count the times he's saved us from robbery, and he even saved my aunt when she came to visit and her boyfriend started beating her. He's aggressive toward strangers, but he loves us. He can be a little asshole though, he loves to piss or take a crap on my floor whenever I yell at him to jump off of my bed.
AcidParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:56 AM   #35
sage76

Bad owners. I know, I have worked at an animal shelter for a while. It's ALL about bad owners, barring any issues of inbreeding etc.

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
sage76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #36
Weaponized

Googling dog breeds has made me realize I had German Shepards and Rottweilers mixed up.

My dog is half Rottweiler, not German Shepard lol

No clue about the other half though, could be anything medium sized with ears that stick up.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #37
Ziphoblat
Crimpity

I think the misconception comes from the fact that the sort of mouth-breather who wants a violent dog will buy a dog that is strong/dangerous/initially bred for hunting because that appeals to them more. They'll then, due to their attitude and intentions with the animal, raise it in such a way that it becomes violent and dangerous, tarnishing the reputation of that particular species. In reality, the same dog could have turned out to be a perfectly safe and suitable family pet had it been properly cared for.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #38
garden of grey
RIP David Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by naedauuf
My mom is a dog trainer so I have quite a bit of experience with this topic.

It's the dumbass neglectful owner.

These poor dogs are ****ing BANNED in Ontario (to a degree, not totally) because idiots don't understand that the breed has almost nothing to do with their viscousness, it has a lot to do with how they're brought up. I mean these dogs are naturally aggressive to a degree, but only when provoked to be that way.

If you're a good owner, your dog will be a ****ing sweetheart. If you treat your dog like shit or train it to be a certain way, it will be that way. This is not limited to any breed. You could train a Shitzu to be a little ****er, just like you could train a pitbull.

Everyone says this but my sister had her face torn apart pretty bad when she was four when she was playing with a pitbull. It was at a rich persons house with a tennis court in the back and a nanny, this dog was not being neglected or poorly treated.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #39
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinterMan22
chihuahuas are the worlds most vicious dogs

fact

As the owner of a fierce-ass chihauhau, I agree. Funny thing is, you gently smack them and that's the end of that. Of course, this only works, if you're the owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garden of grey
Everyone says this but my sister had her face torn apart pretty bad when she was four when she was playing with a pitbull. It was at a rich persons house with a tennis court in the back and a nanny, this dog was not being neglected or poorly treated.

If a dog is NOT used to little kids, then the owner should have NEVER let your sister near it. In fact, he probably should never let her near it anyway. Many dogs can be overreactive towards people they don't know. Little kids don't know that things like pulling on a dog's ears or trying to ride a dog or pulling its tail is bad. Therefore, that was more due to your parents and the owner's negligence than due to the dog.

Hell, my 5pound chihauhau needs to be put in his tiny kennel when we have people with little kids over at our house. Why? Because all of us at our house are over 20. He literally has no idea how to treat little kids and get scared when they make sudden moves. It probably was somewhat the same with the pitbull in your sister's case.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 01-28-2013 at 11:26 AM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #40
ali.guitarkid7
Lonely Pup

I had a main coone that scratched a 3 year old kid in the face when she was chasing him. He's not poorly treated or anything, but he's not used to children so she freaked him out. Though this doesn't mean that all cats, or all maine coons are violent.

So yeah, unless your pet's used to kids, don't let them near kids.
ali.guitarkid7 is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: