User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #81
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadClownDisease
My post a few posts above has a few ideas on the matter.

I think essentially it could be a combination of selective reinforcement (on the cases that are reported/remembered), that due to their build they'd do a lot of damage if they attacked (so even if they attack less than others, you'd hear more about it), and it being a self-fulfilling prophecy (people think they're violent, so people who want a violent dog get one and make it violent).

That's not to say it might not be that they're naturally aggressive or dangerous, but just a few thoughts on why they might give that impression.

EDIT:

Funnily enough, Argentine Dogos are actually banned in the UK.

However, apparently so are pit bulls, which is what I don't understand as Staffordshire bull terriers are legal and according to wiki they're pit bulls...
Quote:
Originally Posted by primusfan
someone made the point up there that it's more the damage a pitbull can do due to their sheer size and strength in comparison to other breeds.

i agree with you, but i also think that's a fair counterpoint.

So really it's probably a combination of everything. The type of person who wants a pit bill is kind of a shitty dog owner (obviously on a case by case basis as there's probably a lot of pit bull owners that are great). When you have that type of owner combined with a dog that tends to be more aggressive an attack is more likely. And due to the strength and aggressiveness of the dogs, the attack is more grusome which attracts media coverage. That gives all pit bulls the image of being brutal killers
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner
lolmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #82
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondmorkret
I'd disagree. People don't want to read about family dogs mauling kids, because it makes them uncomfortable about their own dog, so the papers don't report it. Or at least when they do, it gets much less of a prominent position. When it's a bull breed, it's front page news, because we want more evidence to support the commonly held view that these dogs are dangerous and should be banned. It just sells more papers.

Do you really think that a news station would ignore a lab attack? With how sensationalist the news is that's the type of thing they'd love. They'd love true headline "will your dog kill you in your sleep? Find out more at eleven."

Old 01-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #83
LightxGrenade

Quote:
Originally Posted by lushacrous
Yeah sure, I'll say that people shouldn't pal around with those dogs either. I'm sure the way you feel about dogs is pretty similar to how the dude from Grizzly Man felt about bears.

Last time I checked my dog isn't a 7 foot, 600lbs wild animal lol. No offense dude but are you really that afraid of medium to larger breed dogs? Do you genuinely think all these dogs are so dangerous or are you just doing it to provide a counter point? Do you climb up trees when a St. Bernard or a Great Dane walks your way? Why don't you build an army of Chihuahuas and Corgis to protect you from your made up danger...

Last edited by LightxGrenade : 01-28-2013 at 01:08 PM.
LightxGrenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #84
bondmorkret

I think the news works a little different in the UK. I can completely see how that would happen in America! I even read that in an American accent in my head.

I've seen so many reports on bull breeds and they're always front page. The last report of a typical family dog was a jack russell and it was a tiny report in the middle of the paper with no sensationalist headline to speak of.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #85
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondmorkret
I think the news works a little different in the UK. I can completely see how that would happen in America! I even read that in an American accent in my head.

I've seen so many reports on bull breeds and they're always front page. The last report of a typical family dog was a jack russell and it was a tiny report in the middle of the paper with no sensationalist headline to speak of.

If a Jack Russell killed a small child I guarantee it would be news, regardless of the culture.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #86
lushacrous
drunkacrous

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightxGrenade
Last time I checked my dog isn't a 7 foot, 600lbs wild animal lol. No offense dude but are you really that afraid of medium to larger breed dogs? Do you genuinely think all these dogs are so dangerous or are you just doing it to provide a counter point? Do you climb up trees when a St. Bernard or a Great Dane walks your way? Why don't you build an army of Chihuahuas and Corgis to protect you from your made up danger...

Ok, you won me over. I no longer think it's dangerous to have a pet that can kill you or other people that come into your life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
lushacrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #87
Shenlong
Source of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightxGrenade
St. Bernards and Great Danes aren't ****ing killing machines, unlike Pitbulls.
Shenlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #88
WCPhils
^^vv<><>BAStart

Why would you get a Pitbull when you could get something that is cute and cuddly

Also, English Setters are the best dogs

Check out my...

YouTube
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #89
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenlong
St. Bernards and Great Danes aren't ****ing killing machines, unlike Pitbulls.

>Implying Pitbulls are killing machines.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #90
Shenlong
Source of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
>Implying Pitbulls are killing machines.
>Implying Pitbulls aren't killing machines.
Shenlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #91
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
So really it's probably a combination of everything. The type of person who wants a pit bill is kind of a shitty dog owner (obviously on a case by case basis as there's probably a lot of pit bull owners that are great). When you have that type of owner combined with a dog that tends to be more aggressive an attack is more likely. And due to the strength and aggressiveness of the dogs, the attack is more grusome which attracts media coverage. That gives all pit bulls the image of being brutal killers

Really it's this
Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
So if it's purely the owner, why do you only hear about pit bull attacks and not attacks from other dogs?

Is it the dog or the type of person who is attracted to them?

I hear of dog bites all the time that aren't Pit Bulls. The media doesn't give a shit if it isn't a Pit Bull though.

I'll be watching the local news, the headlines may read "dog bite victim" where they will state the breed later. Or it will read "pit bull attack". The media instigates the stigma.
Quote:
I don't care if the pit bull that you own or the only one you have ever seen has never done anything harmful, I don't see the point in owning one not for protection. Even nice dogs can snap and go insane just like people can, so why in that instance would you want your family dog to be one that is evolutionarily trained to kill stuff bigger and stronger than it instead of one that you know, maybe won't rip your face off? Maybe I'm just talking out my ass here but I honestly don't understand it.

Don't worry, you are Does this look dangerous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garden of grey
Everyone says this but my sister had her face torn apart pretty bad when she was four when she was playing with a pitbull. It was at a rich persons house with a tennis court in the back and a nanny, this dog was not being neglected or poorly treated.

My mom got robbed by a black guy once, are black guys naturally disposed to crime?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers
Gibson_SG_uzr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #92
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

It's both, but the fact that there has been systematic inbreeding to exacerbate violent tendencies and capabilities has done the animals no favors, either in temperament or mental stability.

The fantasy that you can train any dog to be well-behaved and harmless and that they will always remain that way is horribly false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson_SG_uzr55

I hear of dog bites all the time that aren't Pit Bulls. The media doesn't give a shit if it isn't a Pit Bull though.

Perhaps because it usually is?

Pit Bulls account for more than half the fatal dog attacks every year, with the second most common breed being Rottweilers.

It's not media hype, it's reality.

Last edited by Arby911 : 01-28-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #93
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenlong
>Implying Pitbulls aren't killing machines.

Prove it. Give me some study that proves there's something wrong with the instincts/pysche of a pitbull that makes it a killing machine.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #94
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Prove it. Give me some study that proves there's something wrong with the instincts/pysche of a pitbull that makes it a killing machine.

There's nothing 'wrong' with their instincts, (wrong and instinct are really contradictory concepts...) but to deny that they have been bred for many decades to be violent, aggressive and physically capable of carnage is to deny fact.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #95
the bartender
Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
wrong and instinct are really contradictory concepts...
Implying instinctional behaviour somehow can't be 'bad' behaviour.

To sacrifice these children

You must not do it anymore
the bartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #96
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
It's both, but the fact that there has been systematic inbreeding to exacerbate violent tendencies and capabilities has done the animals no favors, either in temperament or mental stability.

The fantasy that you can train any dog to be well-behaved and harmless and that they will always remain that way is horribly false.

Perhaps because it usually is?

Pit Bulls account for more than half the fatal dog attacks every year, with the second most common breed being Rottweilers.

It's not media hype, it's reality.

You ignored the next part of the post when I said the media reacts differently to Pit Bull attacks vs. non-Pit attacks. Also, MadClownDisease summed it up perfectly, it's a combination of everything. Pits have suitable physical attributes for fighting, so "tough guys" and assholes get these dogs and raise them to be assholes. Stigma is created, and the cycle continues.

Besides, it's those sheep dogs you gotta watch out for. Furry bastards

Snake?

Snake?

Quote:
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers
Old 01-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #97
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bartender
Implying instinctional behaviour somehow can't be 'bad' behaviour.

Not implying that at all, pretty much saying it outright.

Undesirable to me, others, the owner, society etc... perhaps, but to put a moral judgement on an instinctive action is foolish.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #98
Weaponized
UG Member

Pit Bull attacks are staged by the government to take away our right to own dogs. Wake up sheeple :/

last.fm
Weaponized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #99
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponized
Pit Bull attacks are staged by the government to take away our right to own dogs. Wake up sheeple :/

Snake?

Snake?

Quote:
Old 01-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #100
LightxGrenade

Quote:
Ok, you won me over. I no longer think it's dangerous to have a pet that can kill you or other people that come into your life.

People can kill other people, that doesn't mean I run away with my dick tucked in between my legs every time a stranger walks up to me. You act like Pits are bred to be killers but they aren't and to act like they are, it's really just plain stubbornness. You don't want to admit that they're just normal dogs with a bad rap, but hey plenty of people hate things they don't understand or have a fixed view on that are unwilling to budge.
I can't help but find it ironic though that I live in a country where people view wonderful dogs as killing machines even though they have to specifically be trained to be that way by HUMANS but yet there's people literally stating that they will try and incite a civil war if new gun laws are enacted and we don't even bat an eyelash at it. It's amazing.
A dog when raised properly is practically harmless = terrible threat to our safety.
A person who owns enough guns to arm a small militia = just exercising his/her right to bear arms
Only one thing can properly describe how I feel sometimes about this:

Last edited by LightxGrenade : 01-28-2013 at 03:38 PM.
LightxGrenade is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: