Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
Gingerlocks
Dreadhead
 
Gingerlocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: In a little house, just made for 2.
Final decision!

http://www.thomann.de/gb/takamine_eg440sc.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ovation_cc24s5.htm


Which one would be the better for me?
I can't get to try them, as they don't sell them in any shops near me!

I'm thinking soundwise.
Gingerlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
RockxxStar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerlocks
http://www.thomann.de/gb/takamine_eg440sc.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ovation_cc24s5.htm


Which one would be the better for me?
I can't get to try them, as they don't sell them in any shops near me!

I'm thinking soundwise.


takamine by a long shot
RockxxStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
Bdqdog
User Titles are lame.
 
Bdqdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Down Casbah Way.
I say the Takamine, but check youtube for some demos first.
Bdqdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
INSULIN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
takamine
INSULIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
BoyLilikoi
Registered User
 
BoyLilikoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
I too, vote for the Tak.
BoyLilikoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
Artemis Entreri
Panned
 
Artemis Entreri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdqdog
I say the Takamine, but check youtube for some demos first.


Youtube demos do almost nothing...

Are you primarily playing live or unamplified? The tak will sound better unamplified but I'm pretty impressed by even ovation's cheap model pickups. The taks on the other hand...
__________________
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Artemis Entreri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
Gingerlocks
Dreadhead
 
Gingerlocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: In a little house, just made for 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis Entreri
Youtube demos do almost nothing...

Are you primarily playing live or unamplified? The tak will sound better unamplified but I'm pretty impressed by even ovation's cheap model pickups. The taks on the other hand...


A bit of both actually.
Thing is, I have a main guitar, and I'm looking for a second one to keep in a different tuning.
Gingerlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
tuxs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Northland, NewZealand.
The Taki of course. Ovation is good for tipping upside down, painting a face on the back of it and using for target practise. Cheers
tuxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
cypherdid
Registered User
 
cypherdid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Takamine! Ovations are OK but not entry level models.
cypherdid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #10
dannyalcatraz
Registered User
 
dannyalcatraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
I'm a fan of Ovations, personally, but if you're going to get one, you want one mid or deep bowl, and of mid-level quality if you want anything resembling the kind of acoustic volume you get with a standard guitar.
__________________
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #11
Funk Monk
Shutup N' Play Yer Guitar
 
Funk Monk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
You know what your purpose is better than we do.

I would try them both first, but you don't have that option so it's really a crapshot based on features. The fact that the Takamine is constructed of all Ash is appealing to me. The ovation's plastic molded back kind of turns me off.
__________________
Funk Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #12
Gingerlocks
Dreadhead
 
Gingerlocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: In a little house, just made for 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
I'm a fan of Ovations, personally, but if you're going to get one, you want one mid or deep bowl, and of mid-level quality if you want anything resembling the kind of acoustic volume you get with a standard guitar.


http://www.thomann.de/gb/ovation_cc49sva.htm

Something like that?
Gingerlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #13
stepchildusmc
Registered User
 
stepchildusmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
yeah, more like that.
i'm with danny, i have some really nice high end guitars but like my Ovations down n dirty sound over the really bright ones. i have a shallow bowl celebrity that sounds like i strung a roll of tinfoil when i play it unplugged( sounds fantastic plugged in). my mid and deep bowl ones sound very good unplugged in my opinion. only celebrity series i actually liked was the cc44. i'm more of an Elite series fan.
it would be nice if you could try out the tak beforehand. i couldn't fathom buying something with such a subjective sound as a guitar without trying it first. the one good thing about Ovations is consistency. the one you order will soud like the one you tried out in a store.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:10 AM   #14
dannyalcatraz
Registered User
 
dannyalcatraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
The big knock on Ovations is usually the tone. But there are top-flight pro players who sound just fine with them, at least to my ears.

I mean, I love mine, but I sure as hell ain't Kaki King, Robert Fripp or Al DiMeola.*












* though I may weigh as much as any two of them combined.
__________________
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:35 AM   #15
Captaincranky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
I mean, I love mine, but I sure as hell ain't Kaki King, Robert Fripp or Al DiMeola.*

* though I may weigh as much as any two of them combined.
Well see, that works out to the benefit of you and your Ovations. When somebody is riding you about Ovations sliding off of people's laps, you can calmly reply, "mine don't fall. they're pushed".....
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:43 AM   #16
dannyalcatraz
Registered User
 
dannyalcatraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
Well see, that works out to the benefit of you and your Ovations. When somebody is riding you about Ovations sliding off of people's laps, you can calmly reply, "mine don't fall. they're pushed".....


Never happen: with the exception of my classical, all my guitars have straps.

(FWIW, I also did NOT serve as the model for the mold for Ovation's bowls.)
__________________
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #17
stepchildusmc
Registered User
 
stepchildusmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
lol guys
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #18
azrael4h
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I'll be honest and say I've never liked Ovations at all, plugged or unplugged, whether I played it or I was listening to someone else play it (including rock stars). I've never picked up any Takamines though, even if I've looked at them, so I can't comment on those. Your mileage may vary though, some people love the Ovations.
azrael4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #19
dannyalcatraz
Registered User
 
dannyalcatraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Takamines are good guitars, no question.
__________________
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #20
tuxs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Northland, NewZealand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Monk
You know what your purpose is better than we do.

I would try them both first, but you don't have that option so it's really a crapshot based on features. The fact that the Takamine is constructed of all Ash is appealing to me. The ovation's plastic molded back kind of turns me off.


Nah Taki is Solid Spruce Top With Mahogany back and sides. Cheers
tuxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:22 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.