Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
silly6-string
keep rocking

how does a pitch correction pedal work?

vocals pedals in general, i wanna get some. WHats a good kind? how do they work? What do they work best with ?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
silly6-string is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
Sethis

Is it for live use? If it is then I don't think people will care a lot if you make some minor mistakes. If it's for studio then there are excellent plugins that will do this.
Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
jjbarnes
You read these?

Pitch correction is for pussies. Get yourself a multi input amp that gets dirty, like a tweed or something. And then plug a green bullet into it. That'll give you some cool shit.
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
jjbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
OfCourseNot
There's your answer

Some pedals have features like harmony that let you have backup without actually having a backup singer. I think Periphery has their vocalist use an Axe-FX guitar rig for vocal effects. You can do cool stuff like automatable(sp?) delay and reverb and harmony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.

Gear:
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
OfCourseNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

How does it work?
Similar to how a guitar tuner sees an incoming signal, it reads the incoming notes and determines the fundamental frequency, and then attempts to 'correct' or push the signal up or down to the nearest frequency it is told is correct for that key, or that is an official pitch of a 'note'. If you leave it in chromatic mode, it will just shove the note up or down to the nearest correct pitch; if you set it to a particular key it may shift it several semitones one way or another.

As for the other stuff, never but a hardware unit so not able to help - as for software, Autotune and Melodyne are the two most popular, and both have various versions for different price points and depending on how in-depth you need to go. Most DAW's now have their own in-built pitch correction plug-in though.

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
HotspurJr

Badly.

Learn to sing with correct pitch. It takes time (because it requires you to develop your ear) but its not hard.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
Sethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
Badly.

Learn to sing with correct pitch. It takes time (because it requires you to develop your ear) but its not hard.

Of course, every singer needs to learn that. But sometimes you got a perfect take full of emotion and it's just a word that's a bit off. That's what autotune is for.
Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
silly6-string
keep rocking

How can I get my pitch better. I want this for recording an live gigs

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Old 01-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #9
20Tigers

Poor singing pitch corrected still doesn't sound great. Pitch is just one aspect of singing.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:32 PM   #10
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Tigers
Poor singing pitch corrected still doesn't sound great. Pitch is just one aspect of singing.

Very true.

Pitching notes is the easy part to learn - even I can do that with reasonable accuracy (for a guitarist doing backing vocals occasionally); 'tone control' is the hard part to learn, and the biggest of the reasons why I would very rarely agree to sing on a recording

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:17 AM   #11
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis
Of course, every singer needs to learn that. But sometimes you got a perfect take full of emotion and it's just a word that's a bit off. That's what autotune is for.

If we were talking about autotune in the studio, I might agree with you.

Because then you can apply it selectively, just to this little snippet right here. You're not using a pedal to do that you're using software. You're not doing it to a full take - you're doing it to the one word that you missed.

But in a live situation you can't do that. And the problem is that if you slap an autotune on the whole thing a lot of the nuance and personality will be stripped out of your singing.

Pedals are dumb. They have no way of knowing if you MEANT to slide from slightly off that note to onto it, if you meant to hit that blue note, if you like the feeling of straining to reach a note, etc ... To say nothing of the interesting overtones that give your voice its distinct timbre. They just all mash it to the note that they think it's supposed to be.

... and those are all things that singers do, consciously or not, which contribute to the feeling of the performance. Part of why autotuned stuff sounds autotuned is because a lot of minor natural variation in pitch is being smoothed out. It removes a lot of interesting stuff from the performance that you actually want.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #12
silly6-string
keep rocking

Well my pitch is getting better. My breathing is getting better. Now I need to work on making my voice sound smooth and good. A pleasure to listen to. Any pointers?
Also I'm finding out that I stay on pitch best after I warmed up playing rb3. I use my ear to see if I'm on pitch.
Most of the time flat. When I sing to a song I sing under the voice. Except if I was on pitch all you would hear is your voice right

Any good warm ups or pitch or anything I've discussed to help idea wise. I play acoustic.

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4

Rate This Thread: