Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
stlouisfan37

Guitar Pedal Power Supply - How Important is the Right Cord?

So I bought a secondhand pedal a while back and it didn't come with a power supply. I was talking to my friend about it, who has used pedals in the past, and he suggested that some pedals can be damaged by using the wrong power supply cord. Is thee any truth to this? Can anyone suggest a good way to set up your power supply for pedals when getting started? I plan on getting more pedals and I don't want to end up with a big mess. Any help would be appreciated.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
Roc8995

Yes, you have to use the right power supply. Using the wrong one can damage your pedals.

What pedal do you have? Which others (if any) are you planning to get?

For most common pedals a One-Spot and a daisy chain will work fine and can power a whole bunch at once.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
stlouisfan37

I bought a Crybaby. At this point, I would also like to get an inline tuner, and maybe a blues driver. I have an interest in learning about wiring and whatnot, so I can see this hobby evolving into buying broken pedals and fixing them, etc.

Please forgive my ignorance...what is a One-Spot? Is that a type or a brand name? Thanks!
Old 01-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #4
supersac

if you only have one or two pedals maybe using batteries is a better alternative for now
just remember to unplug your pedalswhen your done using them
a one spot is this
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...CFSmCQgodUjwAbA

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
dragorage67

a one-spot is a 1700ma power supply by Visual Sounds. i use two for my pedalboard.
it has 1700ma AVAILABLE max, but will only use what the pedals require.
most standard pedals are 9V powered (overdrives ~10-20mA), so you can power many of those pedals. delays and reverbs require more mA (just find the specs online).

Also, some pedals are A/C powered, which may require an adapter via daisy chain.
Some adapters come with the combo pack one-spot package. Double check any strange voltages or -/+ centerpins.

[Daisy chain refers to distributing the power to many pedals without power isolation]. for a 'cleaner and less-noisy' power supply i would recommend the Voodoo Labs PP2+ (alot more expensive).

like i said one-spot can take loads of pedals (i run 8 or 9 off one).

so as long as the total mA draw from pedals is below 1700mA (more than you'll need most likely), you should be fine using this supply

Last edited by dragorage67 : 01-28-2013 at 04:16 PM.
dragorage67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
stlouisfan37

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersac
if you only have one or two pedals maybe using batteries is a better alternative for now
just remember to unplug your pedalswhen your done using them
a one spot is this
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...CFSmCQgodUjwAbA

Yeah, I thought about just going with batteries, but my tendency is to spend the money now and not have to worry about it later if possible, so that's why I am leaning towards a power supply. Also, I work at a hospital and see them take dead batteries away by the case. I would rather not contribute to the landfill unnecessarily.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #7
stlouisfan37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragorage67
a one-spot is a 1700ma power supply by Visual Sounds. i use two for my pedalboard.
it has 1700ma AVAILABLE max, but will only use what the pedals require.
most standard pedals are 9V powered (overdrives ~10-20mA), so you can power many of those pedals. delays and reverbs require more mA (just find the specs online).

Also, some pedals are A/C powered, which may require an adapter via daisy chain.
Some adapters come with the combo pack one-spot package. Double check any strange voltages or -/+ centerpins.

[Daisy chain refers to distributing the power to many pedals without power isolation]. for a 'cleaner and less-noisy' power supply i would recommend the Voodoo Labs PP2+ (alot more expensive).

like i said one-spot can take loads of pedals (i run 8 or 9 off one).

so as long as the total mA draw from pedals is below 1700mA (more than you'll need most likely), you should be fine using this supply

Thanks for the info! I will check it out.

Rate This Thread: