Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
kenzoomoo

Fitting into an underground scene

I play in a little band with my mates who are 15/16. We mostly listen to and play alternative rock and grunge. My favourite bands are queens of the stone age, pearl jam, nirvana, red hot chili peppers, soundgarden, black sabbath, kyuss, etc. Although I listen to a lot of blues and funk too.

We want to start playing some gigs, but I don't now if anyone will like what we play as the majority of the bands in the city play metalcore/screamo/emo. It's the style of music most of the bands play but I don't really pay much attention to it. I appreciate the style, I just prefer other music.

Will we just be completely ignored unless we start playing some heavier material?

Thanks
kenzoomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
supersac

you can play some gigs just need to find similar bands or even if you can play with the core bands as lng as you play good music there will be an audience for it also i doubt those people listen to ONLY core emo stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
EmilGD
Unregistered User

Unless you live in a small place with a population with a strangely homogenous taste in music, I recon chances are you will be more attractive by playing something different than what everybody else does.
EmilGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
PacificOcean
Motivational poster.

Depends on how good your band is, actually, or at least thats how it works here, you should think on improving your sound instead of playing something that you don't really like.

They're a lot of metalheads around here too, but most of the bands covering metal sound like crap.

It's better appreciated a nice generic rock that can please from fags to metalheads, as long as you sound good, or at least better than crap .

Good luck.
PACIFIC_OCEAN
PACIFIC OCEA_N
_PACIFIC OCEAN
PacificOcean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
kenzoomoo

Yeah F--- the norm! We'll play what we want, not generic rock though - I hate that
Old 01-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
PacificOcean
Motivational poster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzoomoo
Yeah F--- the norm! We'll play what we want, not generic rock though - I hate that

You know, it was an example .
PACIFIC_OCEAN
PACIFIC OCEA_N
_PACIFIC OCEAN
PacificOcean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
RunexEnemia

Yeah sure you can.
As an example my band started out with some really heavy shit and we gigged with some really heavy bands too with scream and growl only.
We found out later that our direction should be more Hard Rock inspired but still with metal elements, we now have alot of clean vocals to, the main diffrence is that the crowd now pay more attention to our music instead of just mosh and headbang.
It seems like people enjoy our music and we get good comments on the way.

-Hope that helps.
Horns Up \m/
RunexEnemia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
kenzoomoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunexEnemia
Yeah sure you can.
As an example my band started out with some really heavy shit and we gigged with some really heavy bands too with scream and growl only.
We found out later that our direction should be more Hard Rock inspired but still with metal elements, we now have alot of clean vocals to, the main diffrence is that the crowd now pay more attention to our music instead of just mosh and headbang.
It seems like people enjoy our music and we get good comments on the way.

-Hope that helps.

Yeah it did, thanks!
Old 01-30-2013, 06:52 AM   #9
Rawshik
Homophobic Racist

I think typically different venues will usually play different stuff. Around here it's mostly bad alternative bands but there's one or two venues I know that play strictly metal. I'm sure it's the same for you guys.

Rate This Thread: