Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
klemz

deciding between 2 interfaces

Hello.

I've decided to get an interface for a bit of home recording and I am currently deciding between these two:

Focusrite Scarlett 2i4

Focusrite Saffire Pro 14

As you might have noticed they're exactly the same price (188eur / 160pounds), and I am wondering if there's any difference between them other than aesthetics, number of outputs (don't really care for that), and the fact that the scarlett is USB 2.0 and the saffire is firewire?

The price of those two is also my maximum budget and as far as I know they're the best you can get in the price range, however, any other suggestion is much appreciated too. For the info, I would most likely record only guitar.

Also, I have also no knowledge of software for recording, so any advice in this area would be highly appreciated too. (amplitube+reaper???)

Thank you!

PS. Is there much difference in quality between Scarlett 2i4 and 2i2? If not, I would rather go for 2i2 and save some money.

PS2. Would this be a solid option too? Focusrite iTrack Solo

Last edited by klemz : 01-28-2013 at 07:00 PM.
klemz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
guitarmaniac88
Procrastinate & Dominate!

I don't have much to add, but I will say that most computers don't just come with a firewire port, if you don't have one, it will be completely useless for you. You may have already known that but who knows, maybe you didn't.
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
guitarmaniac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
jof1029
GO HOKIES!

the saffire has more inputs than the scarlett. the saffire has two separate line inputs, while the scarlett has line inputs combined with the mic/instrument inputs. the saffire also has SPDIF in/out. i believe the preamps and a/d conversion is similar between the two lines, the scarlett was focusrites usb version of the saffire. personally i would go for the saffire for the extra inputs, but i dont think its really a big issue if you are going to mostly be recording just your guitar.

I have donated 3920 grains of rice!
jof1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
klemz

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmaniac88
I don't have much to add, but I will say that most computers don't just come with a firewire port, if you don't have one, it will be completely useless for you. You may have already known that but who knows, maybe you didn't.

Yes, my computer does come with a firewire port and I also know it has less latency than USB 2.0, but I don't think the 2ms makes much of a difference, or does it? Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jof1029
the saffire has more inputs than the scarlett. the saffire has two separate line inputs, while the scarlett has line inputs combined with the mic/instrument inputs. the saffire also has SPDIF in/out. i believe the preamps and a/d conversion is similar between the two lines, the scarlett was focusrites usb version of the saffire. personally i would go for the saffire for the extra inputs, but i dont think its really a big issue if you are going to mostly be recording just your guitar.

Exactly. As I said I will be only recording guitar, so at the end of the day it's more or less deciding between saffire's bunch of extra inputs/outputs (that I will probably not need) and scarlett's better aesthetics. Hard one to be honest lol. Thank you for the information.

Are the other two units (iTrack Solo, 2i2) worth looking into though?
Old 01-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
jof1029
GO HOKIES!

im not familiar with the itrack solo, but the 2i2 is not worth looking at. it does not have a pad on the inputs, which can be really helpful for recording DI instruments.

I have donated 3920 grains of rice!
jof1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
ciano16
I use modes.

go with usb. itl be fine for what youre using and your firewire port might not be the ideal one for sound recording anyway.

and my Band's EP
Its like rock funk jazz metal or something...
ciano16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:31 AM   #7
MatrixClaw
UG God

Saffire Pro 14 has much more options when it comes to expansion and I/O. Other than that, they should be comparable sound wise. Latency shouldn't be an issue with either one at the small track count they're limited to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:04 AM   #8
chatterbox272

Also just because you have a firewire port doesn't mean it will work, my friend went through 6 cards I think before he found one that was compatible with his computer AND his interface.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
klemz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
Also just because you have a firewire port doesn't mean it will work, my friend went through 6 cards I think before he found one that was compatible with his computer AND his interface.

This is a good point, I was actually thinking about this since I've never used firewire and my notebook isn't really a gem. So I'm not really sure whether these little saffire's advantages are worth the risk of the unit being completely incompatible with my firewire port.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #10
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272

6 cards? He either was buying shitty cards or just had a shitty computer to start with.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
6 cards? He either was buying shitty cards or just had a shitty computer to start with.

The first couple were probably shitty, he started with the cheap ones and worked up to the $60 one he ended up with. And I take offence to the shitty computer statement, I built it!
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #12
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Lol, fair enough on the shitty computer part. I haven't had any problems with my FireWire card but I knew that what I was buying was going to work from the start. I've only had problems with a Mackie 1640. Of course, the older Mackie 1640 (Not the newer 1640i) had terrible drivers and I spent more time fighting that than anything. To be fair, it didn't work on my buddies Macbook either :p
Old 01-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #13
MatrixClaw
UG God

I mean, no offense, but what do you expect buying a cheap FW card in the first place? If you're willing to spend the cash on a nice FW interface, skimping on the card it connects to is just silly.

That being said, I've had 3 different laptops with FW (none were Macs) and they all worked great with the two FW interfaces I had (Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and Presonus Firepod). The only issues I had were from the OS itself not being supported by the drivers of the interface. In fact, I've had much more issues with USB interfaces horribly failing at life than I have had with FW interfaces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: