Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
BaDG0oD

Talking Jazzmaster first project, need help and advices! :)

Hey!
I was searchin for new guitar like for 2 months, and didnt find anything worth. Sometimes i found guitars what are really nice, but price isnt nice for me right now.
And im thinking of building Fender Jazzmaster.
I have wiring experince, but i'v never made projects like this one i'm planning.
So, what i need to know to make a Jazzmaster guitar from parts.

Btw

What body should i buy ash or alder, and whats the difference?
Im planning to buy some Fender Strat neck, so will it fit the Jazzmaster body?
Whats best shielding ---> shielding paint or tape?

Give me some tips guys! I'l be very thankful!

ps! - sorry for my English
BaDG0oD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
BaDG0oD

:d
Old 03-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty

You'd have to have the measurements of the neck heel as well as the body where the neck goes (drawing a blank on the term) to make sure they are compatible with one another
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
IronMaiden76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
BaDG0oD

Also, if i buy only one pickup on bridge (second one i think i would buy later), and make full wiring for both pickups, will bridge pickup work without another pickup (if bridge pickup selected)?
Old 03-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
BaDG0oD

Also! Whats better wood for Jazzmaster, Ash or Swamp-Ash??? Maby you know some facts and can give me information?
Thanks!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty

Yeah, the bridge pickup should work. I don't know about the wood type to be honest.
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Old 03-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
mtshark
is the bees knees

If you want to build a guitar thinking it will be cheaper than purchasing the real thing, chances are it's not going to be cheaper, especially if it's your first time doing it. The wood, parts, finishing materials and tools you need add up pretty quickly if you don't have them already on hand.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:33 AM   #8
BaDG0oD

Well, i have all tools needed, from wiring tools to drill. And i also always check budget.

By the way, whats the jazzmaster nut sizes?
Old 03-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Nut size can be anything, it doesn't matter what the type of guitar is. Nuts are usually between 41mm and 43mm for a 6-string guitar. The most common Fender nut width is 1.650", which is just about 42mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaDG0oD
Hey!
What body should i buy ash or alder, and whats the difference?

Ash gives you a very slightly 'brighter' sound while alder is considered to have the most average, even sound. 'Swamp' or 'Lite' ash can weigh a little bit less than alder but 'hard' ash weighs a lot more than alder. Ash is a pale cream colour and has very large grain patterns which need to be filled before finishing. Alder is a slightly darker, medium-brown colour and has quite tight grain which should be filled but you don't have to. I believe Fender do not bother filling their alder bodies.

Quote:
Im planning to buy some Fender Strat neck, so will it fit the Jazzmaster body?
Most Jazzmasters are made to take a Stratocaster heel, but do double-check every measurement.

Quote:
Whats best shielding ---> shielding paint or tape?
Paint. It's cheaper and much easier to apply. One small tub will be enough to coat 10-15 guitars. However, you should still use tape for the pickguard. Remember to use one big piece of tape for the pickguard, rather than lots of little strips.
Whichever you use, make sure everything is connected properly. If you put an extra screw in the body of the guitar which the shielding paint can touch then you can solder wires to this screw and the tape on the pickguard and this will keep everything connected; you can then solder a wire from that screw to the back of a pot to ground everything properly.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #10
BaDG0oD

Now i need help with bridge!
Some people switch original jazzmaster/jaguar bridges to other ones. Which one is good?
Are mustang bridges good?
Old 03-29-2013, 03:19 AM   #11
BaDG0oD

Old 03-29-2013, 04:05 AM   #12
chrisdabass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Nut size can be anything, it doesn't matter what the type of guitar is. Nuts are usually between 41mm and 43mm for a 6-string guitar. The most common Fender nut width is 1.650", which is just about 42mm.

Ash gives you a very slightly 'brighter' sound while alder is considered to have the most average, even sound. 'Swamp' or 'Lite' ash can weigh a little bit less than alder but 'hard' ash weighs a lot more than alder. Ash is a pale cream colour and has very large grain patterns which need to be filled before finishing. Alder is a slightly darker, medium-brown colour and has quite tight grain which should be filled but you don't have to. I believe Fender do not bother filling their alder bodies.

Most Jazzmasters are made to take a Stratocaster heel, but do double-check every measurement.

Paint. It's cheaper and much easier to apply. One small tub will be enough to coat 10-15 guitars. However, you should still use tape for the pickguard. Remember to use one big piece of tape for the pickguard, rather than lots of little strips.
Whichever you use, make sure everything is connected properly. If you put an extra screw in the body of the guitar which the shielding paint can touch then you can solder wires to this screw and the tape on the pickguard and this will keep everything connected; you can then solder a wire from that screw to the back of a pot to ground everything properly.

Well i was about to be all helpful and reply but MrFlibble here said it perfectly!

I'll second his preference to shielding paint! i use it on all the guitars i build and it works really well
chrisdabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:44 AM   #13
BaDG0oD

Now i wonder, how i should ground Bridge or Tremolo. Should i connect it with wire, make some extra hole for it, from bridge to grounding paint/shield?
Old 03-29-2013, 04:45 AM   #14
BaDG0oD

You guys really helping me out!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #15
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty

That bridge seems okay, I'm not sure though

Old 03-30-2013, 04:52 AM   #16
BaDG0oD

I found some cheap Fender STARcaster neck, 21 Fret, rosewood fretboard and 70's style headstock. Not sure if its good to buy this one, seems to be its straight.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:56 AM   #17
BaDG0oD

Old 03-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #18
BaDG0oD

Have another question. Do i need an backing plate for neck plate?
Old 03-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #19
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler

That neck will probably be okay - although be aware that it is very likely to be a cheap Chinese copy and almost certainly not a genuine Fender Starcaster neck. I've got nothing against cheap Chinese parts in particular, I'd just rather they weren't forgeries.

For attaching the neck you'll need either a neck plate or bushes. Either will work fine. I don't know for certain but I would expect a plate to be more common on a Jazzmaster.

Paddy von Layzonfon! Founder of The Spell it RELICKED Club
von Layzonfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #20
-MintSauce-
Time Lord

On bridge grounding:

All you need to do is drill a hole between one of the bridge post holes and your control cavity, pickup cavity, or pickguard cavity. Run some wire between the two, but spread it out in the bridge post hole before inserting the post.

Like this:
-MintSauce- is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: