Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-28-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
jof1029
GO HOKIES!

Pedal Tuner

Ive been looking to pick up a pedal tuner so i dont have to keep unplugging from my board to use my hand tuner. the two i was mainly looking at were the korg pitchblack and the tc electronic polytune. so i decided to do a quick search on UG and see what else was out there, and saw a few recomendations for the turbo tuner.

did a bit of research and the accuracy sounds great, and having some options on there is nice. i havent seen any mention of how quickly you can tune with it though, such as people saying they can get in tune with my other two options really fast. also havent seen mention of how visible the strobe is in different lighting conditions (as opposed to the pitchblack which people say is really easy to see no matter what).

i know a couple people on here have tried the turbo tuner, so wanted to see what their experience was (especially in those areas). need to decide if it is worth it spend essentially twice as much as the pitchblack.

or if anyone else has another recomendation, feel free to toss it out.

I have donated 3920 grains of rice!
jof1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i love my pitchback. great build quality, will take abuse, has a very nice half strobe mode which is very useful and accurate, plus several other modes. it is really bright, so you would never have to worry about seeing it, from dark stages to direct sun. i would get another if i lost it or stolen. also it can power two or three other pedals with a daisy chain. not going to get you through a huge board, but enough for a wah and delay and OD.

i like it. overall

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
i love my pitchback. great build quality, will take abuse, has a very nice half strobe mode which is very useful and accurate, plus several other modes. it is really bright, so you would never have to worry about seeing it, from dark stages to direct sun. i would get another if i lost it or stolen. also it can power two or three other pedals with a daisy chain. not going to get you through a huge board, but enough for a wah and delay and OD.

i like it. overall

Seconded.

Never gonna get rid of my pitchblack.

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Charvel1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
&baconstrips

Another for the pitchblack here. I've heard good things about the turbo tuner but I have no experience with it. I tried a polytune when I was searching for a tuner and I found it to be a pain. Some people love it though, so I guess trying it out would be best.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
DancesWithSheep
Muchacho Moderno

I have the TC and love it. It is a true pass through and is rugged and very accurate. Also very adjustable.

I recommend it...

Muchos gracias, muchachos modernos!
DancesWithSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
ikey_

i am a huge proponent of the GFS tuner.

except people dont believe that the cheaper price point product may actually be good....so you might as well ignore what im saying.

(though for 40 bucks its a fantastic tuner pedal. not replacing until it breaks...going about 2 years strong)
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Accountant Comp, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:46 AM   #7
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikey_
i am a huge proponent of the GFS tuner.

except people dont believe that the cheaper price point product may actually be good....so you might as well ignore what im saying.

(though for 40 bucks its a fantastic tuner pedal. not replacing until it breaks...going about 2 years strong)

i personally haven't had one, i am not saying that cheap gear can't be good. i am sure its a solid tuner, but the pitchblack has more features. half strobe, full strobe, traditional style and they all work well, i really like the half strobe. seemed to be quicker.

but hit a typical MF with a 15% sale would put the pitchblack at $60, and it ships free.

the GFS is $45 plus whatever they charge for shipping (which they don't give you without you giving them your email), usually smaller companies would be $5 or so

so $45+?5 shipping = $50 versus a sale that is pretty much every week and get the pitchblack for $60, i would say $10 is worth the difference of getting a pitchblack.

why am i saying that? because that is what i did. i spent $60 on my pitchback on a weekend sale. i was considering the GFS at the time, along with the TC, and the pitchblack is what was best for me.

more features, and the power out option will come in handy as well.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
Old 01-29-2013, 12:48 AM   #8
ikey_

well that does close the margin. i might have done the same in that situation.
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Accountant Comp, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:56 AM   #9
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikey_
well that does close the margin. i might have done the same in that situation.

yea, it was a close margin, and i also figured that i trusted MF a little bit more (not that i wound't GFS) i know if something is wrong they will pay shipping every direction every time.

this is what happened to me on MF: i had three JCA2112RC's all fail within a minute of turning it on or not even turn on, and they took good care of everything. they asked what i wanted to do and i told them to keep it, and i wanted a Orange 2x12 (PPC212OB) cab and all they wanted was $50 as a difference. so it worked out far in my favor, but was frustrating.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
Old 01-29-2013, 02:11 AM   #10
diabolical

Fender PT-100 guitar tuner:
http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/p...edal-tuner.html

Solidly built, a lot cheaper than the two and I've been very happy with the accuracy.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:21 AM   #11
sg4ever
clashof the coconuts

I have a Polytune, but there's nothing wrong with a Korg Pitchblack. I might go back and get one eventually for another board I'm looking into putting together.
Vox AC15C1
various pedals
sg4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:27 AM   #12
crabstampede
Slowest Metal Guitarist

I can vouch for the TC Electronic tuner. I use the power supply out to run my noise gate without issue and although the polyphonic function is perhaps slightly gimmicky, it is useful for a quick check between songs. Both needle and strobe modes work great.
I picked up a Pitchblack for my bass player... it has proven itself to be idiot proof. Both great products.
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
crabstampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:34 AM   #13
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg4ever
I have a Polytune, but there's nothing wrong with a Korg Pitchblack. I might go back and get one eventually for another board I'm looking into putting together.

polytunes aren't bad either, it wasn't as easy to see and wasn't as bright.

also there are different uses for different things. some people, some may need to strum all six at once and it may be faster for them to get it in tune

if i am out of tune i can tell which string is out as i play and i sometimes tune in the middle of a chord in a song real quick and isn't a big deal.

all of my guitars hold tune very well for the most part. and usually tune before a set, and check tuning with an E chord or whatnot and tune from that in between songs, and tune maybe three songs later and retune.

but there are definitely benefits of different models and features. and different people need different things.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
Old 01-29-2013, 02:50 AM   #14
TVeye
Not Worth It......

Just don't cheap out and get a Behringer. I often fantisise about the ways I would like to destroy mine.
TVeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:50 AM   #15
ChrisBW

I have a TU-2 but I wish the Pitchblack had been out when I got it.

My board would gain like +10 sexy
Old 01-29-2013, 03:56 AM   #16
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

there are definitely different purposes.

if you are playing in your room alone often, you can download free tuner apps i have "gStrings" on my android phone. works great, don't need to bother with anything. or for example one of the $15 plug in Korg tuners are fine too.

the headstock clip-ons are another way, they are handy. but i have had two break. one was planet waves the other snark. they don't seem durable.

personally i wouldn't have a pedal tuner unless i was gigging (with my pitchblack).

but really unless you are into your board any time, they aren't the best either, you need to plug them in. seems simple but can be a pain. so just to tune grab your tuner and a cable and go from there, but if i am just sitting on my ass i would just use my phone.

but you gotta see what works for you.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
Old 01-29-2013, 04:24 AM   #17
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

ask around the PBT.
A few of the guys swear by their Turbo Tuner.

Bassam loves his, but he hasn't been on in ages, and is never on FB

Pedalboard Thread Native: The Thrashaholic

Buy my Thrash Album for whatever price you want!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSimonR
It's modelling valve power amp output valves wearing out.

GG&A WTLT List
darkwolf291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:29 AM   #18
whoomit

I was torn between the Pitchblack and the Polytune at the end of 2011.

I went for the Polytune and loved it.

The polyphonic tuning stopped working on mine though. Just tells me that everything's sharp.

Come to think of it, I might have set it to Eb or smth... brb
Old 01-29-2013, 04:40 AM   #19
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

i've had a no-name true bypass tuner, a polytune and a turbo tuner.

i sold the first one for the polytune. the polytune was alright. i found the polyphonic mode wasn't that accurate, and i found myself just using the strobe function, which worked really well. then i heard a lot of good things about the turbo tuner, so i decided to give it a shot.

my overall impression? the turbo tuner is freaking amazing. a bit weird to use at first, as all strobe pedals, but quickly becomes intuitive to use. more accurate than anything else on the market. a battery lasts forever in it, since it only draws current if the pedal is literally on, not even if there's a plug in the input jack. i love mine. it will be the last pedal i sell. and at what, $130ish, it's easily the best value tuner when you consider the accuracy to cost ratio.

and yes, i'm one of those PBT dudes who swears by his turbo tuner.

UG's Best Small Pedalboard 2013
NakedInTheRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #20
Van Noord
Deactivated

I like my Polytune. I only use the needle mode though. Don't like the poly mode.
Almost bought a Pitchblack but couldn't jive with the cheap feel and lack of weight to it.

MARSHALL 2203KK
VHT Pittbull Ultralead
MESA Single Recto
PEAVEY 6505
SOLDANO Avenger
PEAVEY JSX
MARSHALL JVM 210H
Van Noord is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: