Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-29-2013, 02:08 AM   #1
BoobsVanderbilt

Is There A Site -> "If you can play -song- then you can play -song- " ?

I was just laying here and thinking.. I wonder if there is a website where people would either post, or the site controller would be a guitar player, teacher, etc. expert and it would be all about

"If you can play "Let It Be" - Beatles, you can play the song "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" - Greenday " (Or those two songs vice-versa)

I do have songs that I would prefer to play that I really like and listen to, since I know the lyrics, the rhythmn, etc. But I would also like to expand my music genres and styles to many different types of music so I have many more abilities other than playing certain ways or certain genres/artists styles.

I don't BELIEVE there is a site like this, or at least what I have in mind, but I feel like it would be a great site for sure. Having a website with many songs from beginner - intermediate - expert and from chords, power chords, picking, etc.

A site like 'Well, since you are able to play this song with the difficulty of the song and style, you can definitely play this or would be able to play it great after a little work put into it.

Is there any site like this? If not... maybe someone should possibly look at this and make a big site out of it :p I think it is a good idea, and I would love a site like that so I could have a way of finding songs easily and know I could play them, adding to my arsenal of songs, as well as finding songs suggested that I would need to put effort into and increasing my skill level after playing it.

My writing may be a bit repetitive and scattered, sorry... Jack Herer and Schnapps .
BoobsVanderbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:16 AM   #2
GoldenGuitar

Honestly, I don't think anyone cares. You get to the point where you can pretty much play anything you want. So it doesn't matter.
GoldenGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:17 AM   #3
D..W..

There are threads here about it. Or maybe that was in the bass section, I'd have to look again but I think I saw a guitar one, with songs rated from Easy to Difficult, etc, bunch of different people pitching in songs.
D..W.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:23 AM   #4
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenGuitar
Honestly, I don't think anyone cares. You get to the point where you can pretty much play anything you want. So it doesn't matter.

except smoke on the water
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:30 AM   #5
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
except smoke on the water

Most people get 5 seconds in then give up.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:44 AM   #6
Spaztikko

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Most people get 5 seconds in then give up.

I love it when I go into a shop and play it from start to finish, and it blows people's minds because I didn't stop after five minutes.
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:13 AM   #7
food1010
Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoobsVanderbilt
But I would also like to expand my music genres and styles to many different types of music so I have many more abilities other than playing certain ways or certain genres/artists styles.
What's stopping you?

Honestly, you don't need other people to tell you what to listen to. Just start by listening to something new. It could be anything. Just make it a point to not listen to any music you already know. Say there's a genre you've never seriously listened to. Pick an artist you've heard, look up a list of top albums in that genre, or ask a buddy who listens to that type of music to recommend some material.

Then all it takes to put in the work. First, listen through the material and see what sticks out at you. Then, learn as much of it as you can. Play along to the recordings. If there's stuff you can't figure out after multiple times through, just keep working at it unless you're really uninterested in it. Weed out the material that moves you from the material that doesn't give you anything.

I've found that one thing that helps me figure out "my sound" is to be able to describe what I want to hear in music. This doesn't mean "I like rock" or anything specific to genres. For me, I like to hear a heavy groove. That means the rhythm section needs to be tight and really hold down the bottom end. Then again, I've also been focusing on learning melodies, since I spent so much time learning mostly bass lines. If you can find what draws you to music, you'll be able to pinpoint that in any new music you listen to.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:38 AM   #8
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaztikko
I love it when I go into a shop and play it from start to finish, and it blows people's minds because I didn't stop after five minutes.

i'd blow my own mind out too if i had to hear that shit for more than 5 minutes
Old 01-29-2013, 05:14 AM   #9
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:

Err, when did you stop?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:24 AM   #10
cccp2006

Don't just try to play songs that you probably have the ability to play.

Try to learn songs that are just out of your technical level and practice until you can play those.

Hey, you are now able to play harder songs that you weren't able to play before.

Now do it again with even harder riffs/solos etc and never stop stretching out of your comfort zone.

This won't happen overnight though, you need to put in hours and days and months of practice into it but it will be well worth it later on.
Yamaha F325
cccp2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:55 AM   #11
Mr.-Bungle
Mr. Bungle

Quote:

It freaks me out so much to know that you're 16-17 yet you were born in 96'... I feel so old for some reason. Yet I'm barely 22.

Also, they were laughing at you for playing any of Smoke on the water. Go home.
Mr.-Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:00 AM   #12
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccp2006

Try to learn songs that are just out of your technical level and practice until you can play those.

Hey, you are now able to play harder songs that you weren't able to play before.

Now do it again with even harder riffs/solos etc and never stop stretching out of your comfort zone.

This won't happen overnight though, you need to put in hours and days and months of practice into it but it will be well worth it later on.

don't just push yourself for the sake of it. make sure you have a foundation to play your level incredibly cleanly and be able to break down harder pieces (and have an understanding of how you can improve economy of motion and its overall importance)

i find it's far more important to learn music you enjoy listening to - no matter the genre - by ear. if there's a vocal line you like, figure out what's going on, learn it on guitar maybe. or a cool bass line, or sax lick. if you like the drums, drum along on the guitar neck and make some cool sounds - just surround yourself in the music beyond "ok so there's this note in this part and the tab says xxx and yyy" - it's not a linear series of goals. it's a constant state of growth and maturity.

a lot of people i've met picked up guitar for GNR or for metallica or whatever, then evolved into mini-malmsteens - this is fine if you just like the music, but odds are you got there from saying "hey i wanna play something hard and flashy, what's hard and flashy? youtube to the rescue!"

speed, accuracy, internalization, the ability to make original music, it all comes in time from surrounding yourself with music. the more shortcuts you take to try and reach a specific goal, the more you cheat yourself out of the experience (i feel)
Old 01-29-2013, 06:32 AM   #13
rolandroi
it is known

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccp2006

Disagree with this one. I used to be a guitar beginner and i jumped from playing dust in the wind to classical gas. Damn took me almost a year to finish that piece. those were the days that i was starting to have callous on the tip of my fingers and also some muscle stress and shit.

Best advice is to learn new stuff bit by bit. Don't push too much or you end up stopping to play (unless you're like me XD). And the most important thing is you should cherish the time you learn a certain piece.
rolandroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:54 AM   #14
LightxGrenade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoobsVanderbilt
I was just laying here and thinking.. I wonder if there is a website where people would either post, or the site controller would be a guitar player, teacher, etc. expert and it would be all about

"If you can play "Let It Be" - Beatles, you can play the song "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" - Greenday " (Or those two songs vice-versa)

I do have songs that I would prefer to play that I really like and listen to, since I know the lyrics, the rhythmn, etc. But I would also like to expand my music genres and styles to many different types of music so I have many more abilities other than playing certain ways or certain genres/artists styles.

I don't BELIEVE there is a site like this, or at least what I have in mind, but I feel like it would be a great site for sure. Having a website with many songs from beginner - intermediate - expert and from chords, power chords, picking, etc.

A site like 'Well, since you are able to play this song with the difficulty of the song and style, you can definitely play this or would be able to play it great after a little work put into it.

Is there any site like this? If not... maybe someone should possibly look at this and make a big site out of it :p I think it is a good idea, and I would love a site like that so I could have a way of finding songs easily and know I could play them, adding to my arsenal of songs, as well as finding songs suggested that I would need to put effort into and increasing my skill level after playing it.

My writing may be a bit repetitive and scattered, sorry... Jack Herer and Schnapps .

I don't know of a site like that, though it would certainly be nice if there was one. There are however plenty of tab books that have songs within the same general level of difficulty. In fact almost all tab books that have a compilation of songs have some indication of how difficult the songs are or they have abridged versions that are easier than the original song. I suggest you check out some tab books like Rolling Stones 500 greatest rock songs of all time tab. Not here to argue whether the songs in the book are the best of all time or not but you would have a boatload of material to choose from yourself. And to some extent I think you can realistically tell what you can and can't play just by listening to the music. For example if I'm learning Green Day "Basket Case" and it's giving me issues, probably not the best time to try and tackle Metallica's "Master of Puppets" but probably worth a shot to try to learn something like Oasis "wonderwall" (just using generic examples) or Jimmy Eat World "the middle".
LightxGrenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:38 AM   #15
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

I would advise you to play the songs you like to listen to. If they are harder, they are harder. Then you just practice until you can play the song. And if they are easy and you like the song, then it's just fun to play the song, no matter how easy it is to play. There's more to the songs than just technique. It's also about how you play it. The song might not be technically advanced but musically it might be.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #16
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandroi
Disagree with this one. I used to be a guitar beginner and i jumped from playing dust in the wind to classical gas. Damn took me almost a year to finish that piece. those were the days that i was starting to have callous on the tip of my fingers and also some muscle stress and shit.

Yeah I did something similar to that and ended sounding like a sloppy wankfest. So, I'm gonna go ahead and agree with cccp2006 on this one in that it is recommendable (for most people, anyway) to not just dive straight into the insanely difficult stuff when you've only been playing for a couple of months.

Plus, taking forever to learn just 1 song was so much less fulfilling than learning lots that gradually move up in difficulty (and sound a lot nicer too, because they're not so far out of my league). And as I move up in difficulty, my skills progress and catch up. I guess eventually we all get to a point that we have a strong enough foundation that we can learn just about anything, no matter how challenging it is, though.
CryogenicHusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #17
Hail
kill both bass players

i'll be devil's advocate and say that guy wasn't completely wrong - you should always be challenging your tastes and your ability, but not in a way that's simply to see how coordinated your hands are.

by expanding into new realms of music, you touch different cultures, often completely different philosophies in music from what many people would come to expect. this challenges you to uphold that feel, that legacy of a make of music whilst still being an individual and being able to make, at the end of the day, good music, not just good xx music. many solo musicians fall into this - they shred all day and someone says 'hey, learn some salsa, or some world music' and they make one really generically-driven song that reminds us of what TV says an island is probably like and call it a day.

this comes later, though. worry about taking the music, breaking its legs, and sucking the delicious marrow out of every pulse, every chord change, every melody, even if it's just plain simple. don't waste your time trying to be perfect and understand every single tiny aspect of every song, but really envelope yourself. learn to appreciate and understand the drums, the bass, the vocals, the horns - not just because it can inspire you with some interesting ideas for phrasing or techniques, but because the only way to truly understand the music is to be able to understand the role of each individual piece and your role (or the musicians' role in whatever music you're learning and playing alongside and - hopefully - enjoying) in taking those pieces and putting them together in a cohesive piece.

if you try and bake a cake and say "y'know, i don't feel like eggs today, i'll just skip that", or "i think i'll use some creme fresche instead of milk cause i'm masturbatory and watch too much food network, your cake isn't going to come right. you have to play as a team and let everything mingle, and you can't do that if you just think of the music as "me and one other track full of people i'm playing over".

being able to appreciate the music like that is something you can't just teach - it comes with tons of dedication, practice, and passion for what you do. technicality can come at any time along there, but to force it before learning to appreciate what you can do with it is just running before you can crawl.

Rate This Thread: