Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-29-2013, 02:35 AM   #1
tomalweb

Best electric guitar under $300

I am looking for a new electric guitar under $300. I like to play metal such as Pantera, metallica, megath etc as well as EVH, Satriani etc. I am looking at guitars with and without tremelo bar (ideally would want a FR tremelo)

So far I have found out these 2 guitars can be good candidates:

1. ESP LTD 100FM
2. Schecter Omega 6
3. Epiphone LP-100

What are your suggestions ? Thanks so much !
tomalweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:55 AM   #2
Darkflame
officialBOSS pedals hater

Go used, that could double your budget
My band (Facebook)
My band (Bandcamp, free EP)
Darkflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:05 AM   #3
tomalweb

which used ones are you suggesting?
tomalweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:07 AM   #4
Darkflame
officialBOSS pedals hater

I'm far from a metal fan, but for 300 used, you could get an epi les paul standard instead of the lp-100 you mentionned. I believe the Schecter C-1 is also quite recommended as a metal guitar, or an LTD Viper (sg copy?), or something like that. Ibanez also has some great RG and S series guitars in the 500 bucks price range, which is what you'd be stretching to in the used market.
My band (Facebook)
My band (Bandcamp, free EP)
Darkflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:05 AM   #5
samuraigoomba

Go used at those prices, always. For around 300 you could go higher up on the LTD food chain, or grab a nice Agile used (guitar center has an AL3100 for $300 right now).

If you want a FR trem, I don't know if you can find a real one for $300. You could look at used made in japan Ibanez guitars, like the RG570. I don't know if you could get one that cheap, but maybe you stretch your budget just a bit.

Heartfield guitars are MIJ fender versions of Ibanez, with similar features and FR-style trems. I paid about $300 for a Talon 1 with upgraded Dimarzio pups and a Kahler (FR style) tremolo. Sounds really good, but I'm not a fan of floating tremolos.

You should also have some idea what kind of body style you find most comfortable, and how you want the neck to feel.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:12 AM   #6
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

if you could get it to $400 (yea sorry to be that jackass ) i would look for peavey wolfgang. i have one MIA that i paid $450 for (with hardshell case), but the floyd rose model is made somewhere else. i got it for $350 this time with matching gig bag.

the are very nice playing guitars, hardware is pretty good, pickups surprisingly good (to the point i would never replace them), neck feels good. here is one of mine:

MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:47 AM   #7
Alucard817

You can do a lot with 300 bucks going used. I don't know if you would want a FR in this price point, but maybe someone else can elaborate on the pros and cons.

What I suggest you do is look through Guitar centers used section and see what catches your eye.

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
Not a Les Paul

The Omen 6 is great for the value, but I agree with the others: Find something used, you'll get a much better instrument for the money. I bought my killer Solo-6 for something like $340 off of Craigslist, I'd have to spend upwards of $700 to get a similar instrument brand new.
Schecter Omen 6 w/EMG 81X/85X
Aria Les Paul w/EMG 81/85 ZW
Ovation Celebrity CC-44
Blackstar HT Club 40 w/4x10 cab
Not a Les Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
Guitaraddict45

I had sell off most of my collection when I got married and had kids. 15yrs. Later my wife let's me indulge my habit by buying inexpesive guitars. I have about 24 guitars all under 300 bucks.

First I would recommend buying used. You wil find some great values.
My favorites are:

Agile 3100 Les Paul copy.. Over 300 new. But I got mine used for 275. Much better guitar than the Epi's in the same price range.

MusicMan Ernie Ball OLP. I got mine for just under 200 with shipping. It needed some set up, but is a very sweet playing guitar. Sounds Great

Also Samick brand guitars are very good quality for the price. Samick is the largest guitar manufacturer in the world. They make Epi, squire as well as many other brands. Their own brand is designed by Greg Bennett.

Mexican Strats can still be found under 300 but are going up.

I would avoid BC Rich Bronze series. Looks cool on the wall but not a very good guitar.

I have found the cheap Squires and Epi's to be poor quality, but if you can mod your own guitar they might fit.

Most importantly learn to play. I started my first band with a Kay from sears and a Fender Champ. Upgraded as we made money.

Everyone can't afford to buy a Vintage Les Paul and a Marshall Stack.
Guitaraddict45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:56 PM   #10
deadsmileyface
this is our party

check out a used epiphone g400 pro, they are great for the price
Old 06-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #11
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

^+1( to post #9). Definitely check out Agile. I have a very good tele copy made by AXL/Johnson called the El Dorado. In all honesty I would take it over a mim Fender Tele. Not counting resale value its just flat out a better guitar imo. And for half the price. Obviously its not a metal guitar but if you're talking best guitars under $300 in general, it definitely should be on the list.

Last edited by lucky1978 : 06-02-2014 at 04:15 PM.
lucky1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #12
krm27

I'm a total Yamaholic, great bang for the buck. You can find awesome Yamaha's for under $300, I'd look at late 80s or early 90s.

I have a $200 Epiphone G400 that I don't care for, weak pups, really bad quality control, cheap hardware. I think the G400 Pro will be a step up and might remedy some of this stuff, but I just would not trust any Epiphone SG-clone after my experience.

Ken

Last edited by krm27 : 06-02-2014 at 05:00 PM.
krm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:16 AM   #13
Victorgeiger

Look for a deal on a Parker PM20 or PM20-Pro. I picked up my PM20-Pro for $350 and it is an amazing guitar. The best I have ever played actually, and the Seymour Duncans make it sound like a beast.

News, reviews, guitar lessons and

Victorgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #14
dannyalcatraz

A used Godin Redline HB like one of these would probably be a great deal. They're very well made.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #15
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaraddict45
I had sell off most of my collection when I got married and had kids. 15yrs. Later my wife let's me indulge my habit by buying inexpesive guitars. I have about 24 guitars all under 300 bucks.

First I would recommend buying used. You wil find some great values.
My favorites are:

Agile 3100 Les Paul copy.. Over 300 new. But I got mine used for 275. Much better guitar than the Epi's in the same price range.

MusicMan Ernie Ball OLP. I got mine for just under 200 with shipping. It needed some set up, but is a very sweet playing guitar. Sounds Great

Also Samick brand guitars are very good quality for the price. Samick is the largest guitar manufacturer in the world. They make Epi, squire as well as many other brands. Their own brand is designed by Greg Bennett.

Mexican Strats can still be found under 300 but are going up.

I would avoid BC Rich Bronze series. Looks cool on the wall but not a very good guitar.

I have found the cheap Squires and Epi's to be poor quality, but if you can mod your own guitar they might fit.

Most importantly learn to play. I started my first band with a Kay from sears and a Fender Champ. Upgraded as we made money.

Everyone can't afford to buy a Vintage Les Paul and a Marshall Stack.

I'm I the only person to see this was a Necro bump on a thread over 1 yr old?
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #16
Victorgeiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I'm I the only person to see this was a Necro bump on a thread over 1 yr old?

Hahaha i guess you were

News, reviews, guitar lessons and

Victorgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #17
dannyalcatraz

Oops!

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: