Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
Fussa123

Dilemma! I'd like some help :)

Hi Guys! I'll try to make this quick and short so that i don't bore you with it.

I have 350E (i live in Greece, so...) in my possesion and i'm thinking of getting a new guitar. Started out with the Yamaha F310 and i've been playing with it for 2 years, i think it's time for a change!

So i'm in a really BIG dilemma here!

Yamaha APX500II (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-...673-i1987203.gc)

OR!

Epiphone EJ-200ce (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphon...583-i1150090.gc)

Also judging by some reviews, alot of people are stunned with how good the Yamaha APX500II is... (9.4 rating from UG)) against the good looks of the Epiphone (8.9 rating from UG)
I know everyone's going to say "just play them and see what feels right"...yeah well i did...and i loved them both! I'm a tall guy so epi fits me more, but i loved the feeling of the yamaha, it was like i had an electric in my hands!

Also...i kinda have a history with Yamaha, and i kinda love it 'cause my first (and current) guitar is a Yamaha!

If you could help me out, i'd really appreciate it guys

Last edited by Fussa123 : 01-29-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Fussa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
hwsoderlund

What are you going to use it for? The Yamaha is a thin-line model, so it will have less volume than the Epiphone. If you plan to do a lot of unamplified playing you may want to get the Epiphone for that reason, especially if you are going to use it for live concerts. It also has a solid top whereas the Yamaha is all laminate. Personally, if I had to pick one without having played them (which I have not) I would get the Epiphone.
hwsoderlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

i sure wasn't stunned by the yamaha. it's an entry level guitar and it sounds like it - doesn't sound as good as the F310. unplugged the APX sounds thin and a little boxy, probably mostly due to the thinner body. if you have to choose between the 2, the epi would be my choice for sure.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
Fussa123

Taking in consideration what you said. What about the Yamaha CPX500ii? That looks like it has a bigger body than the APX? Have ever tried that? I'm thinking of going and trying it but i'd really like some opinions too
Fussa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
stepchildusmc

i'm a yammie fan somewhat but i don't care for the APX series.Patticake's right, of the 2, take the Epi. the fg series yamaha is great, the A series is awesome for the money. only people i've heard talking well of the APX are the ones that bought them(nobody wants to tell everyone they made a bad choice or have bad taste).... again, guitar sound is very subjective from person to person. my favorite brand has a very polarizing history.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

the CPX is the equivalent of your old all-laminate yamaha. it's not a step up in any way. the yamaha FG series and L series are their best sounding guitars. the epi has a big body and a solid top, and that counts when it comes to sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fussa123
Taking in consideration what you said. What about the Yamaha CPX500ii? That looks like it has a bigger body than the APX? Have ever tried that? I'm thinking of going and trying it but i'd really like some opinions too
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: