Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
fatgleeson
Registered User
 
fatgleeson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Recording e-drums through interface's instrument input

Is this a bad idea? I'm gonna buy a Line6 Pod Studio GX for recording bass/guitar but I also have an electric drumset (Roland TD3). I know the drums have midi output but the Line6 doesn't have a midi input port. Would using the 1/4" output from the drum module into the Line6's guitar port sound like crap? If I had more money I'd get an interface with a midi port for the sake of it but I don't know if I'll ever even use it tbh
fatgleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
chatterbox272
Registered User
 
chatterbox272's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Don't buy a Pod Studio. If you want something that will do just DI guitar then get one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Guitar-...=item20cce94ffa
The quality difference will be negligible and the link is way way cheaper. I don't know how well they work but you can get similar things for MIDI to USB. Otherwise bite the bullet and get a proper interface with MIDI in/out and good inputs.
__________________
Masquerade: #19


Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
 
lockwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
I don't know how well they work but you can get similar things for MIDI to USB.


From that same company, pretty badly. I bought one because I wanted a cheap solution, spent $8 on it and it worked for about 30 seconds at a time then it would freeze whatever note you last played and you couldn't use it anymore without unplugging it and plugging it back it.

I know its a bit more money but the M-Audio one works great. Sure, its about $40 at GC but it works pretty well.
__________________
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
lockwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!
 
kyle62's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NW England
I bought a generic MIDI to USB cable for 3 of eBay and it works flawlessly!
__________________
"I don't care about the things I leave at home, cause things can't really keep you company when you're alone"
Mark Sandman


Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
fatgleeson
Registered User
 
fatgleeson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
I appreciate the suggestion and you wanting to save me some money (really appreciate the saving money part, hard to come by for me!) but I am very wary of buying something like that ( even though I know looks and price can be deceiving). The reason I was looking at the Pod Studio is because it is the updated version of the Toneport, which is recommended in the recording interface thread here. I see the link you posted is under the 'Super Budget' heading and is for basic rough recording but I have a bit more money to spend and would like something slightly better quality. I realise paying 4x as much wont give me 4x the quality but that link seems too basic for me. The Pod Farm software has pretty good ratings across the board so that is factored into the cost also, and the fact that the quality level is between 'amateur EP' and 'best quality possible' is perfect for what I will use it for. The next recommended interface is out of my budget sadly and I wont have much disposable income for a couple months at least, and I want an interface asap. Unless I had proof from somewhere (not implying you should provide proof) that they are equal in quality I would avoid the cheaper choice. I've learned the hard way in the past that opting for the cheaper option because its close enough will usually not pay off.

As for the M-Audio Ive read countless times on this forum to stay away from that as the sound is audibly muddy when compared to other interfaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle62
I bought a generic MIDI to USB cable for 3 of eBay and it works flawlessly!


Sounds like a good idea if I ever decided to record, considering MIDI is just bits instead of complex electric signals. As long as the signal gets there I guess there's no quality to possibly lose. Sadly this is the downfall of e-drums, absolutely no room for dynamic playing. Sure there's differences in volume depending on how hard you hit but its all just samples at the end of the day

Last edited by fatgleeson : 01-29-2013 at 05:40 PM.
fatgleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
 
lockwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgleeson
As for the M-Audio Ive read countless times on this forum to stay away from that as the sound is audibly muddy when compared to other interfaces.


/facepalm

I was talking about the MIDI cable, not an interface. MIDI doesn't effect sound
__________________
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
lockwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
chatterbox272
Registered User
 
chatterbox272's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgleeson
I appreciate the suggestion and you wanting to save me some money (really appreciate the saving money part, hard to come by for me!) but I am very wary of buying something like that ( even though I know looks and price can be deceiving). The reason I was looking at the Pod Studio is because it is the updated version of the Toneport, which is recommended in the recording interface thread here. I see the link you posted is under the 'Super Budget' heading and is for basic rough recording but I have a bit more money to spend and would like something slightly better quality. I realise paying 4x as much wont give me 4x the quality but that link seems too basic for me. The Pod Farm software has pretty good ratings across the board so that is factored into the cost also, and the fact that the quality level is between 'amateur EP' and 'best quality possible' is perfect for what I will use it for. The next recommended interface is out of my budget sadly and I wont have much disposable income for a couple months at least, and I want an interface asap. Unless I had proof from somewhere (not implying you should provide proof) that they are equal in quality I would avoid the cheaper choice. I've learned the hard way in the past that opting for the cheaper option because its close enough will usually not pay off.

alright then. I've tried both and I couldn't tell the difference (and that was a blind test too, totally fair). And Pod Farm is kinda meh, especially compared to the free stuff out there. But I understand if you want to go for something from a reputable company, and I don't have a clue what happened to my blind test so I can't prove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgleeson
As for the M-Audio Ive read countless times on this forum to stay away from that as the sound is audibly muddy when compared to other interfaces.



Sounds like a good idea if I ever decided to record, considering MIDI is just bits instead of complex electric signals. As long as the signal gets there I guess there's no quality to possibly lose. Sadly this is the downfall of e-drums, absolutely no room for dynamic playing. Sure there's differences in volume depending on how hard you hit but its all just samples at the end of the day

MIDI is MIDI no matter where it comes from so your M-Audio statement is irrelevant. And if it changes the volume then it's probably a velocity sensitive kit, which means that if you record it that way and use MIDI drums then they'll use different samples based on how hard you hit it, which gives pretty good dynamics.
__________________
Masquerade: #19


Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:23 AM   #8
T4D
20 guitars and counting..
 
T4D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Aussie in the UAE
my 2 cents

Get the Line6 Pod Studio GX because of amp farm 2 is good,. NO,. A GREAT VALUE TOOL ! there are free plugins that sound good sure for some poeple ,.? but you get Amp farm with the interface ?? why say NO ?? it's a no brainer,. sure check the free plugins but why NOT get Line6 Pod Studio GX & Amp farm ? ( it seems haters got to hate )

Midi get a midisport M-Audio they come with as many ports as you need- 1, 2 or 4 & cheap enough too. ( Midi works or it doesn't, there is no "quality" issues, I have 2 midi-sports both have worked prefectly of many years )

once the midi gets inside
some here like SSD
but I used SD both good check the google to see what you prefer. skip the cheap Drum sample options good drum sound does cost alittle extra.
__________________
Newest Tune
Last Album Album here too
I'm a 3D Artist still making tunes Joy4D Video Joy4D Site

I got Protools, Eleven Rack & lots of other stuff.
T4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:30 AM   #9
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!
 
kyle62's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NW England
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgleeson
Sadly this is the downfall of e-drums, absolutely no room for dynamic playing. Sure there's differences in volume depending on how hard you hit but its all just samples at the end of the day


Wh...wh.....what?


You need to go and listen to some of the really good drum software out there if you don't think MIDI drums can do dynamics.
__________________
"I don't care about the things I leave at home, cause things can't really keep you company when you're alone"
Mark Sandman


Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:33 AM   #10
chatterbox272
Registered User
 
chatterbox272's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4D
my 2 cents

Get the Line6 Pod Studio GX because of amp farm 2 is good,. NO,. A GREAT VALUE TOOL ! there are free plugins that sound good sure for some poeple ,.? but you get Amp farm with the interface ?? why say NO ?? it's a no brainer,. sure check the free plugins but why NOT get Line6 Pod Studio GX & Amp farm ? ( it seems haters got to hate )

Not trying to start an argument, but you don't "get" pod farm for nothing. The Pod Studio is priced higher to account for Pod Farm being included, so you're actually paying a fair amount more for the interface than it's worth because you're getting pod farm which is comparable to the free stuff anyway. And the free sims are "actually free" because they're not included with anything that is costing you money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle62
Wh...wh.....what?


You need to go and listen to some of the really good drum software out there if you don't think MIDI drums can do dynamics.

I think he's talking about his electric kit rather than drum VSTi software.
__________________
Masquerade: #19


Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:58 AM   #11
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
 
ChemicalFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4D
my 2 cents

Get the Line6 Pod Studio GX because of amp farm 2 is good,. NO,. A GREAT VALUE TOOL ! there are free plugins that sound good sure for some poeple ,.? but you get Amp farm with the interface ?? why say NO ?? it's a no brainer,. sure check the free plugins but why NOT get Line6 Pod Studio GX & Amp farm ? ( it seems haters got to hate )


Pay more for bad pre-amps and a fizzy as hell amp sims?

WHY NOT!? SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA!
__________________
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself



Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:41 AM   #12
T4D
20 guitars and counting..
 
T4D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Aussie in the UAE
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
Not trying to start an argument, but you don't "get" pod farm for nothing. The Pod Studio is priced higher to account for Pod Farm being included, so you're actually paying a fair amount more for the interface than it's worth because you're getting pod farm which is comparable to the free stuff anyway. And the free sims are "actually free" because they're not included with anything that is costing you money.


I think he's talking about his electric kit rather than drum VSTi software.



how cheap are you thinking of paying for a USB guitar interface ?
I was think around $50 - $75 any cheaper and I think your going to get some China made peice of .... pod is right in that $50 to 75 range if you shop around.


as for edrums if you need midi input, i would assume you would driving drum samples or a drum VST..if you are recording the straight edrums kit you would be using stereo audio to record ?

if not my mistake..
__________________
Newest Tune
Last Album Album here too
I'm a 3D Artist still making tunes Joy4D Video Joy4D Site

I got Protools, Eleven Rack & lots of other stuff.
T4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:44 AM   #13
T4D
20 guitars and counting..
 
T4D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Aussie in the UAE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
Pay more for bad pre-amps and a fizzy as hell amp sims?

WHY NOT!? SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA!


Piss Off saying Amp farm has BAD sounds is just C##p !!

You may think something is better sure tone is a personal thing,. But all of Amp farms tones are "BAD" .. that's just dumb..
__________________
Newest Tune
Last Album Album here too
I'm a 3D Artist still making tunes Joy4D Video Joy4D Site

I got Protools, Eleven Rack & lots of other stuff.
T4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #14
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
 
ChemicalFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The United Kingdom
The tones aren't bad, but that isn't the issue. As a user of podfarm for about a year before I gave up on it, I found all the tones have that horrible upper register fizz that is a bitch to eq out without ruining the top end of the good part of the tone, making it next to unusable.

So my point still stands, why would you pay extra for an interface with bad pres and with a bad amp sim, when you could get good pre's and use other sims instead?
__________________
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself



Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 01-30-2013 at 07:28 AM.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #15
chatterbox272
Registered User
 
chatterbox272's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4D
how cheap are you thinking of paying for a USB guitar interface ?
I was think around $50 - $75 any cheaper and I think your going to get some China made peice of .... pod is right in that $50 to 75 range if you shop around.


as for edrums if you need midi input, i would assume you would driving drum samples or a drum VST..if you are recording the straight edrums kit you would be using stereo audio to record ?

if not my mistake..

Yes but the Pod itself is probably worth ~$40, not much better than the Behringer Guitar Link (which is the same as the thing I linked to but mine has no branding). The rest of what you pay for is Pod Farm, which as I said is comparable to the free stuff.

And yes the TS would have to drive a drum VSTi if he uses the MIDI out. But I don't know whether he knew that unlike his electronic kit, the VSTi drums should have different samples for different velocities rather than just changing the volume.

Finally, don't mind ChemicalFire. He can be a bit of a dick about expressing his opinion at times.
__________________
Masquerade: #19


Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #16
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
 
lockwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
Finally, don't mind ChemicalFire. He can be a bit of a dick about expressing his opinion at times.


Though its his opinion, it lines up a lot with what users have been saying about Pod Farm and the Pod Studio line. He's had the GX and used it and PF with another interface. Hell, I jumped on Pod Farm shortly after it came out and paid $300 for Platinum on Version 1. As nice as it has been for the 4 years I've had it, there are much better options than it, a lot of which are free or much cheaper.
__________________
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
lockwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #17
chatterbox272
Registered User
 
chatterbox272's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
Though its his opinion, it lines up a lot with what users have been saying about Pod Farm and the Pod Studio line. He's had the GX and used it and PF with another interface. Hell, I jumped on Pod Farm shortly after it came out and paid $300 for Platinum on Version 1. As nice as it has been for the 4 years I've had it, there are much better options than it, a lot of which are free or much cheaper.

Yeah, but he didn't have to be a dick about it (infact I believe that's your job on this forum).
__________________
Masquerade: #19


Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #18
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
 
ChemicalFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The United Kingdom
Actually it's the UX1 I own but I doubt that the pre's are anything different. The difference is night and day between it and my Saffire 6. The UX1 is SO muddy, unbelievably so. And yeah, PodFarm is FINE. It does it's job, but it doesn't do it well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
Yeah, but he didn't have to be a dick about it (infact I believe that's your job on this forum).


I've been having a bad day. But my original response was meant to be more humorous than dickish.

It's a logical point too. WHY pay more for a bad interface and amp sim when you can pay around the same and get better stuff. Makes no sense.
__________________
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself



Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #19
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist
 
CelestialGuitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Birmingham, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
Actually it's the UX1 I own but I doubt that the pre's are anything different. The difference is night and day between it and my Saffire 6. The UX1 is SO muddy, unbelievably so. And yeah, PodFarm is FINE. It does it's job, but it doesn't do it well.



I've been having a bad day. But my original response was meant to be more humorous than dickish.

It's a logical point too. WHY pay more for a bad interface and amp sim when you can pay around the same and get better stuff. Makes no sense.


I'd agree with this, I actually own a UX2, and I have Pod Farm, I even bought the Metal Shop pack for it, however, after finding Pod Farm unusable, I now only use Poulin plugins and I'm now after a better interface. It definitely does its job, however you can do so much better, I'd recommend saving a big and getting an interface that actually has a MIDI input. It'd cost more, but it'd be worth it, I've heard bands pulling out amazing quality with Superior Drummer and a set of Electronic Drums, so I think that'll be a much better option. Unless, however, you really like your drum sound and absolutely must have that sound when you record, however, I'd still recommend paying a bit more. In recording, you get what you pay for.
__________________
Gear

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #20
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
 
lockwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
Yeah, but he didn't have to be a dick about it (infact I believe that's your job on this forum).


Yeah, it is.

Chem, back the **** up, you're stepping on my turf!
__________________
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
lockwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:20 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.