Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Modern Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #21
frankv
Her?

Frank Turner is awesome! And aren't Alt-J from the UK? They're good, revered and new.
frankv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #22
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

The entire "tr00" uk hardcore scene

So many good bands in the UK... just most of them aren't popular, because being good =/= being popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman128
Architects, Heights, Monuments, Tesseract, Sacred Mother Tongue, The Safety Fire, Rise to Remain, Sylosis, Red Seas Fire, Your Demise, Young Guns and if you like shredders: ANDY JAMES!!!!

ok that list is all metal and hardcore of some form, and those are only the reasonably new ones, I haven't even mentioned Evile, FFAF, Muse, Enter Shikari, Fightstar. Seriously mate there's loads - hit up some live music events and you'll find out about many of the smaller bands that I've listed.

And this is probably why TS doesn't like UK music. MOST (not all) of the bands listed here are awful. Some of them used to be good, like Your Demise, Architects and Enter Shikari, and some never were, like Young Guns. Heights really want to be a good hardcore band but fail at writing interesting music. Sylosis are a dull attempt and mixing metalcore with thrash and Evile suffer from the same problems as all modern thrash bands; they recreate instead of innovate.

Most of the UK scene thrives on doing stuff that other bands do, but doing it way worse. We have a trend culture in the UK and most people who listen to "alternative music" in the UK only listen to trendy bands, instead of ones that are actually good. They play on accessibility over quality. When did Architects suddenly become stupid popular?... it wasn't when Hollow Crown came out, which was their last good album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 01-29-2013 at 04:51 PM.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #23
slipknot5678
Cockblockatoo

On an international scale the British and American music scenes are basically the same. You're probably just an Ameriphile or something.

I'll be honest and say I do the same thing. Sometimes if I know music is American before I listen to it I expect it to be bad.
slipknot5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #24
Addonexus408
Bay Area Thrash

Sacred Mother Tongue
My band
Addonexus
Addonexus408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #25
pa182

biffy clyro
pa182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #26
nosuchmanasmole
F**k 11 my amp goes to 13

biffy ? before there last two albums they were in my top bands, there music sucks pretty hard now though

chemicalfire , you know any more hardcore bands like that in the uk ? i enjoyed that
nosuchmanasmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #27
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Check out Hosptials, Bastions, Kerouac (sadly broken up), Kaddish.

The UK has an awesome Hardcore/Screamo scene. It just doesn't get the same attention as the trendycore crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:08 AM   #28
PETERFKNPARKER
Part-Time Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
The entire "tr00" uk hardcore scene

So many good bands in the UK... just most of them aren't popular, because being good =/= being popular.

And this is probably why TS doesn't like UK music. MOST (not all) of the bands listed here are awful. Some of them used to be good, like Your Demise, Architects and Enter Shikari, and some never were, like Young Guns. Heights really want to be a good hardcore band but fail at writing interesting music. Sylosis are a dull attempt and mixing metalcore with thrash and Evile suffer from the same problems as all modern thrash bands; they recreate instead of innovate.

Most of the UK scene thrives on doing stuff that other bands do, but doing it way worse. We have a trend culture in the UK and most people who listen to "alternative music" in the UK only listen to trendy bands, instead of ones that are actually good. They play on accessibility over quality. When did Architects suddenly become stupid popular?... it wasn't when Hollow Crown came out, which was their last good album.

Thanks for linking that band, that song is awesome, I'm gonna go check out some more of their stuff.

I totally agree with what you've said about the UK scene. I think Enter Shikari still have a few okay songs, but a lot of the bands people are into now truly suck. i.e. Young Guns, We Are The Ocean (they had one decent song and tried to go commercial straight away), and for Heights.. they are just monotonous droaning. I wanted to like them but I couldnt :/

I'm pretty amped about BMTH's new album, Shadow Moses is a fricken sick tuuuune. I know they're more commercial/popular, but out of all the heavy UK acts going down this route, I think they're doing the best

a more underground british band you guys might like = Housefires
If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.

Last edited by PETERFKNPARKER : 02-01-2013 at 04:21 AM.
PETERFKNPARKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #29
NeutralFan
UG's Grey Square

Amplifier. Not a huge band, but up there with the best prog bands.

Oceansize were utterly awesome. Then they split up.

Gallows are one of the best hardcore punk bands going.

Biffy Clyro are fantastic, when they play for themselves rather than their label.

Those are just ones coming off my head which I don't think have already been said.

Call me Neutral.
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
HIBERNIAN FC
SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 14/15
NeutralFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #30
helltothee
Idiot

While She Sleeps. Not sure if they've been mentioned yet, as I've only looked at the second page. Incredible metallic hardcore.
Blitz Kids as well do some really anthemic stadium rock that I recommend.
And Rise to Remain, who if you give a go are excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryingNemo
I saw Satan one day
He looked kinda gay
The bible hates gays
So Satan I shall slay
Amen.
helltothee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:29 AM   #31
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Black Spiders
really dig those guys
Old 02-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #32
Mr Winters
Pffff

Frank Turner & The Sleeping Souls.

Their live performance is unbelievable.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #33
Scratcher17

Sylosis:

Scratcher17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:32 AM   #34
Emperor's Child
PUT YOU IN MY OVEN!

I was going to say Radiohead, Muse, Anathema, Porcupine Tree and Tesseract, but they've all been mentioned before. The only other one I can think of is Haken.

There's a lot more going on in the UK than some other European countries.
Emperor's Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:50 AM   #35
BenRaah
zebra

Porcupine Tree is almost dead now I think.

A lot of my friends are getting excited about Arcane Roots, so I guess they're pretty good.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #36
Emperor's Child
PUT YOU IN MY OVEN!

Steven Wilson has stated that he will return to Porcupine Tree but doesn't know when, so it's not dead.
Emperor's Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #37
Bigbazz

Check out Blue Light Ride.
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)
Bigbazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #38
AlongcameFred
Smells fish

There are good bands in todays UK music scene, you just have to look a little harder past the mountains of awful generic metalcore, post-hardcore, pop-punk and indie rock which cloud over most of the worthwhile stuff that is made in the UK. I recommend that you check out Tesseract, Chimp Spanner, Sylosis, Cryostorm, Frank Turner and Akord. Simply ignore hipster rubbish like Alt J.
AlongcameFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #39
StuartBahn

Try Everything Everything. For me they are one of the most talented UK pop bands in the last 10 years.
StuartBahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:08 AM   #40
EqualOfHeaven
The Great Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmaiden98
Burn the Fleet are an relatively new band from the UK. They're awesome.

I used to work with the bassist of BtF, Andy, at Cineworld in Southampton O.O wow, small world. I knew his band was getting popular though, fair play to the man.

Anyway, on topic, I'm not going to lie to you OP, you're right for the most part, there are bugger all good bands from the UK these days, few and far between. Most of it's just shite like Bring me the Hairspray. There are atleast a few good bands though, atleast when you scour mercilessly through history. One band from the UK that I always thought deserved more recognition is Dub War, most people know of the lead singer's other band Skindred, though I'd say DW are a lot better by far. Check out the album 'Wrong Side of Beautiful', it's probably one of the best albums you've never heard.

Last edited by EqualOfHeaven : 05-13-2013 at 07:13 AM.
EqualOfHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: