Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
xSinisterx

Should I find a new teacher?

So I recently began voice lessons, and my teacher has a masters in music, which is a major plus. Unfortunately, he only teaches classical type music.

If i were to stick around would this end up being helpful in the long run? Could I apply what i learn here to singing my own music of entirely different styles?
xSinisterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
blazing riff

If you're interested in a classical type of music i ' stick with it, probably the same techniques. However if you're more into the grunting kind of thing, defenately change. You wouldn't stick with a classical guitar teacher if you would just like to learn rock would you?
blazing riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
Brotherbrodude

Go with a Matt Barlow style. He's got the most unique vocal style ever. Operatic, yet metal as hell. But yea, get a new teacher, unless you're interested in classical music.
Brotherbrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
Brotherbrodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazing riff
. You wouldn't stick with a classical guitar teacher if you would just like to learn rock would you?

Actually, look at Zakk Wylde. and even Yngwie. Gary Holt from Exodus too.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
blazing riff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotherbrodude
Actually, look at Zakk Wylde. and even Yngwie. Gary Holt from Exodus too.

You forgot Randy Rhoads. I know there's a lot to be gained by incorporating classical style in your playing, but it's just to prove a point. If you want to learn a certain style fast, go for that style and not something different. If you want to learn the finer points of blues music you should study or learn from great blues players and not guys shredding it up. And before you go off on me, every music style has its own little nuances, that's why i gave that metaphor .
blazing riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
Brotherbrodude

Quote:
And before you go off on me, every music style has its own little nuances, that's why i gave that metaphor .

Chill bro. Not going off. Just proving my own point that other styles can be learned through one. We're all friends here. The best three styles to start with are classical, jazz and blues in my opinion, then switch to metal. Guitar-wise. I didn't and now i regret it. Moving into Jazz though. Vocal wise, probably blues. I get the metaphor too. You do have a point about the nuances.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
hey896

even if your voice teacher likes classical, their suppose to do whatever type of style you want to do. i had a guitar teacher who liked classical but she had to play the music i wanted to play and teach me the techniques for that type of genre i wanted to play. i'd say stick with it, i mean, you paid for it so you might as well just go and if you don't like how the teacher is or the type of music their teaching you, go and find a new teacher. plus, there are some techniques for all genres that you could totally learn from this teacher even thought they l;ike classical.
hey896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
hollowskull100
HollowSkull100

Quote:
You wouldn't stick with a classical guitar teacher if you would just like to learn rock would you?

Hell yeah, I would! Chris Broderick, Yngwie Malmsteen, Randy Rhoads, and all of those incredible guitarists are usually classically trained. Knowing classical guitar benefits you playing by 10x. If I could go back and learn gutiar all over again, I would have learned classical first.
Fender Frontman 25r

I know... it sucks.

Last edited by hollowskull100 : 01-29-2013 at 04:46 PM.
hollowskull100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
Sethis

Classical singing and rock singing have a lot in common. More than other genres. Rock singing usually relies on Bel Canto, a classical concept. At least, I'm talking about the basic principles and clean styles of rock like Dio, Labrie or just about any power metal band...Not growling/screamo.

But I would definitely advise you to get a teacher that will know your genre better. If they don't, then they will get you up to a certain point but may not be perfectly qualified to teach you some advanced genre-specific techniques.

Last edited by Sethis : 01-29-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #10
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSinisterx
If i were to stick around would this end up being helpful in the long run? Could I apply what i learn here to singing my own music of entirely different styles?

I do think eventually you'll want to work with someone who focuses on contemporary musical styles. However, I think that, to build up your foundation, working on classic music is just fine. In fact, it might even be a plus, because one of the big mistakes a lot of people make when learning to sing with contemporary music is trying to copy the affectations of the singers they like without getting the fundamentals right.

That's a much smaller risk if you start with a classical approach.

The downside is that a lot of classical singing aims for purity at the expense of personality. You end up expressing the music more than you express yourself, if that makes sense. The other risk is that you will feel less connected to your practice, and thus less motivated, because you're not singing the music you love.

So, with those two caveats aside, I think it's a fine way to develop and work on your fundamentals.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: