Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
Scrib

Perennial n00b, so frustrated...argh!

Hi guys,

Basically I purchased a guitar back in 2005 and since then have managed to learn...nothing. Well, ok work and stuff got in the way, as well as my other hobbies, but despite everything from taking lessons to Youtube I never really picked it up.

I mean I could play some little things: some scales, the major, minor and 7th chords, bits of songs (crazy train intro, Master of Puppets Intro) but that's it. I never really progressed.

I'm thinking of picking it up after a hiatus of about 3 years, but is it worth it? I'm starting to think I'm distinctly unmusical: no sense of pitch, no knowledge of theory.

has anybody else been in a similar position?
Scrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
radiofire

Imagine where you could be right now if you didn't go on that hiatus and practiced whenever you could.

Getting better at guitar is a lot like getting better at any other thing in life. You have to commit to it. You ever try losing weight? You won't see results unless you dedicate to it. You want to get better at basketball? You won't get better unless you dedicate to it.

Just take baby steps, keep building on what you already know and don't go on long breaks without playing.

The worst thing that can happen is giving up though and believing you can't get better. You just have to keep going at it. Thanks to the internet the average person has so much more access to resources than ever before. There's no excuse why you can't get better!

Some music teachers offer a 'free first lesson' over Skype. Try one of those see what kind of insight you can get. No harm in a free lesson right?
radiofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrib
Hi guys,

Basically I purchased a guitar back in 2005 and since then have managed to learn...nothing. Well, ok work and stuff got in the way, as well as my other hobbies, but despite everything from taking lessons to Youtube I never really picked it up.

I mean I could play some little things: some scales, the major, minor and 7th chords, bits of songs (crazy train intro, Master of Puppets Intro) but that's it. I never really progressed.

I'm thinking of picking it up after a hiatus of about 3 years, but is it worth it? I'm starting to think I'm distinctly unmusical: no sense of pitch, no knowledge of theory.

No. I've never been in that position. If the interest isn't there, then the interest isn't there. Don't waste your time trying to learn something you have no desire for.

Do something else.

The fact of the matter is this, you wouldn't need to have asked the question on the forums in the first place if you truly loved it. Also, you wouldn't have taken a 3 year break if you had truly loved it, either.

One more thing, you say that other things have got in the way. If you hadn't got time, you would have MADE time, simple as that.

Last edited by mdc : 01-30-2013 at 04:59 PM.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
demonhellcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrib

I'm thinking of picking it up after a hiatus of about 3 years, but is it worth it?

That is a question only you can answer. People typically find a way to do what they really want to do. Obviously other things have been more important to you over the last three years (which is fine). Have you had a recent change of heart and will prioritize guitar over other hobbies? If so, then go for it.

As for thinking you're "unmusical"... I agree some have natural talents others don't but I believe anyone can become at least adequate at something they put their mind to. You probably won't be the next Paul Gilbert or Vai but I bet you can learn enough to have fun with the guitar.
demonhellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Quote:

Sure, just play guitar because it's fun, and find a good teacher to help you with the other stuff.

You're certainly in a decent position if you've got the maj/min/dom 7ths down.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: