User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

Guitars and Toddlers

Hi guys

Not sure how many of you have kids but I have a 2-year-old and a 4-year-old. Every time I take out one of my guitars they appear and want to "play" it. Playing for them pretty much means putting the guitar down on the bed or floor and banging on the strings while singing and messing around with the amp.

I am pretty protective of my guitars and don't want them to get wrecked...sometimes they try to pick up the guitars but the weight is too much.

They have a half-scale acoustic but of course they want Daddy's electric...I was thinking of getting them a half-scale one but I'm worried it will also be too heavy and sould like total crap as well. They can't play now but at least they are interested and I want to further that interest. And the half-scale acoustic isn't really much more than a toy. I can tune it but the frets are not spaced properly so it only sounds right playing open strings.

I was thinking of just getting a total beater off CL and letting them beat the hell out of it...

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Oh any my wife is afraid they will get electocuted if they drool or something on the guitar while it's plugged in...
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
JustRooster
Organ Donor

2 and 4? Do you think they would properly entertained by something like the Paper Jamz or toy equivalents? The idea of sounding "just like daddy" might appeal?

Roostyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
Huge Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
2 and 4? Do you think they would properly entertained by something like the Paper Jamz or toy equivalents? The idea of sounding "just like daddy" might appeal?

They have a toy guitar and never look at it. They want to do what I am doing. The 4-year-old tries to sing and play and I've caught him trying to take one of my guitars out of the closet. The 2-year-old likes to mess around with the amp...he always puts it on the high distortion channel and says "I REALLY like this one!"
Old 01-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
LightxGrenade

http://www.toysrus.com/product/inde...oductId=3592664 I don't know if this is what you meant by a "half scale" acoustic but at least the price is right and judging from the photos, it should be around the right size for your kids. Good job in getting your kids interested in music, Cool Dad move right there
LightxGrenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Guy
They have a toy guitar and never look at it. They want to do what I am doing. The 4-year-old tries to sing and play and I've caught him trying to take one of my guitars out of the closet. The 2-year-old likes to mess around with the amp...he always puts it on the high distortion channel and says "I REALLY like this one!"

The younger one will be the future's most brutal death metal guitarist. I know it.

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
Huge Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightxGrenade
http://www.toysrus.com/product/inde...oductId=3592664 I don't know if this is what you meant by a "half scale" acoustic but at least the price is right and judging from the photos, it should be around the right size for your kids. Good job in getting your kids interested in music, Cool Dad move right there

Yeah they have something like that (plus a keyboard and toy drum machine), I'm wondering if it would be worth getting something like this.

http://www.guitarinstructor.com/ima...ogZakkPakks.jpg
Old 01-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
AcidParadox

Aw, that's precious. My little sister, she's 6, is the exact same way. My parents just bought her a 3/4 scale guitar and she gets her kicks that way. I've taught her a couple of chords, so she likes to play around and make up her own songs.

I'm not a parent, but if your 4yo is mature (not sure if that's the word I mean) enough to learn the guitar properly, I would get a 3/4 guitar like a mini-Strat or something and give them a couple of lessons to get them started. Just a few chords and simple things like how to fret, holding the pick correctly, etc.

They won't really notice if the pickups aren't up to snuff, I predict. You could consider buying them a small amp like a Roland MicroCube or similar with a headphone jack, if you don't really want to hear them playing loudly with your own amps. It's also something you could use, as it's still a really good practice amp.

My sister's guitar isn't too heavy, but she plays it sitting down mostly anyway.
AcidParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
Skullivan
JKap's Trusty Headband

Gibson makes the Maestro line of guitars, which are essentially 3/4 scale guitars for kids, and most come with an amp when you buy a bundle.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/inde...lat&cagpspn=pla
Originally Posted by jazz-rock-feel
How damaging is it for a trans person to be referred to the incorrect gender as a child?
I don't see how it would be damaging. I got called C-dog for a number of years despite not being a dog. I turned out alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickel_w
PRS is not enough
Skullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #9
Silver Hilton
Old enough

I had a similar experience with my kids (now 17 and 20) with computers when they were young. They wanted to play with Dad's computer with their grimy little paws. I found a used keyboard and gave that to them.

I'd find a beater guitar on CL, and put that on a stand next to your, and let them play with that. You're not going to be able to explain to the toddler why he can't play with yours, but the 4 year old should understand.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
Silver Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
Pink Muse
V Aww Yeahh. V

I'd second the Paper Jamz idea if you think they might go for that more than a toy guitar, otherwise peruse your local craigslist. I see people on mine selling off starter pack guitars all the time, almost always sub-$100.

One thing I'd check out is if they're physically developed enough for it, something the pediatrician should be able to answer. It sounds weird, but when my niece was born I looked into how young I could give her a real guitar to start playing, and it was around 3 or 4. Just something to check out, but congrats on getting them started young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNameOfNoone
The younger one will be the future's most brutal death metal guitarist. I know it.

It's never too early to give your kid a nickname like "The Pillager Of All" or "Kyrrthf Yygldrwnn." Brutal and/or lacking in vowels. And start painting his face black and white.

Would you run down past the fence?
Tell us, is the black box lying?
Pink Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #11
aerosmithfan95
Call me Billy.

When my cousin (who is almost 2 years old) is over my house, she loves to run into to my room and pluck the strings on my acoustics since they're on a floor stand on the ground. She enjoys it more when I actually play guitar because she loves to dance.

Other than that, she's not destructive or anything with my guitars. And (hopefully) when she's older, I can teach her how to play.

Guitar --> Pedals --> Amplifier
aerosmithfan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:43 AM   #12
Alucard817

I think those ZW Epi's would be perfect for your 4 year old.

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #13
Huge Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosmithfan95
When my cousin (who is almost 2 years old) is over my house, she loves to run into to my room and pluck the strings on my acoustics since they're on a floor stand on the ground. She enjoys it more when I actually play guitar because she loves to dance.

Other than that, she's not destructive or anything with my guitars. And (hopefully) when she's older, I can teach her how to play.

I really have to watch them, the other day the 4-year-old tried to pick up one of my guitars by the strings!
Old 01-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #14
Huge Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard817
I think those ZW Epi's would be perfect for your 4 year old.

Has anyone here actually played those type of guitars? I am worried they may be tough/impossible to intonate.

I suppose next time I go to GC I should see if they have any of the short scale stuff and see how the kids like it.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #15
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

If/when I have kids, I am going to be locking all of my music gear in a music room. I usually don't even like other people playing my gear, so letting a couple of toddlers mess around with thousands of pounds worth of equipment is out of the question for me.
Random3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #16
Huge Guy

It's my older son's birthday next week and I finally decided to get him a Squier Mini Strat. Saw one for $50 on the GC web site, figured if he wrecks it it's no big loss. I looked at the Ibanez Mikro as well but I'd end up paying at least twice as much...at this stage I don't think he's going to understand the difference between the two.

He still wants to play my guitars all the time and cried for 2 days straight when I sold one on ebay.

He still doesn't understand about fretting but he's at least starting to use a pick instead of his fingers...
Old 03-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #17
Robbgnarly

I bought my daughter a Mini Strat when she was 6 (she's 15 now) and they are great starter guitars. I actually played it out once, people did not realize why I looked so "big" while playing the guitar.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #18
Huge Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I bought my daughter a Mini Strat when she was 6 (she's 15 now) and they are great starter guitars. I actually played it out once, people did not realize why I looked so "big" while playing the guitar.

Nice, I am thinking even if my son doesn't play it much my wife might, she's 4' 11" and always complaining standard guitars are too big.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #19
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Guy
Nice, I am thinking even if my son doesn't play it much my wife might, she's 4' 11" and always complaining standard guitars are too big.

If your wife like guitar get her a Gibson Godess LP/SG, they are really nice.

Fender used to make a Mini Strat(not the Squier one) and a Short-scale P bass. They are pretty nice guitars.

Actually my daughter now plays a Gibson Godess LP, and it is friggin sweat
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #20
Huge Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
If your wife like guitar get her a Gibson Godess LP/SG, they are really nice.

Fender used to make a Mini Strat(not the Squier one) and a Short-scale P bass. They are pretty nice guitars.

Actually my daughter now plays a Gibson Godess LP, and it is friggin sweat

I'll see how interested she is, lately she's been focusing on piano.

The Squier Mini I ordered is the Affinity, not the Bullet at least...

Rate This Thread: