Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
ch1ng_chung
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Wonderful Slippery Thing

How does Guthrie Govan get that slap sound in the beginning? I've been playing 2.5 years and yet I can't even come close to that. Also, I'm having great trouble figuring out what notes he plays. I slow it down to .5 speed and even then it's too fast for me to remember what it sounds like when I try to put it on the fretboard.

I won't resort to tabs. Tabs are for the weak willed.

And why is this song so hard to learn? I could translate YJM's Far Beyond the Sun by ear, including putting a chorded intro, half a year ago, and that song's a million times faster than Wonderul Slipper Thing.

Last edited by ch1ng_chung : 01-29-2013 at 09:47 PM.
ch1ng_chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san
 
Junior#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1ng_chung
How does Guthrie Govan get that slap sound in the beginning? I've been playing 2.5 years and yet I can't even come close to that. Also, I'm having great trouble figuring out what notes he plays. I slow it down to .5 speed and even then it's too fast for me to remember what it sounds like when I try to put it on the fretboard.

I won't resort to tabs. Tabs are for the weak willed.

And why is this song so hard to learn? I could translate YJM's Far Beyond the Sun by ear, including putting a chorded intro, half a year ago, and that song's a million times faster than Wonderul Slipper Thing.

Why is it so hard? Because it's Guthrie. He is a truly phenomenal guitarist with some incredible songs. Naturally, some are going to be ridiculously hard to play.

This might help:
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
Soccerguy
Bloo
 
Soccerguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
Tabs are a great learning tool. Don't be pretentious.
This is not just a tonne of fretted notes like YJM's wankery. These aren't sounds you will be used to hearing on a guitar, so clearly you'll have a bit, if not a lot, of difficulty. Try learning to slap on guitar first, then work your way up to this song.
Also, I don't think the speed of the song is really the problem, I think it is most likely the skill of the guitarist playing the song that is making it harder to figure it out. YJM has a very fast, yet much more simplistic style of playing, while Guthrie is the opposite, not to say he can't play fast.

Edit: To clarify the last bit, it's no so much the skill of the guitarist as the difficulty of the song. Guthrie's songs will be harder than most any other song you come across, I mean, watch a video of him, his skill is beyond comprehension. Yngwie, while still having lots of speed and skill, just hasn't composed near as difficult songs.

Last edited by Soccerguy : 01-29-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Soccerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
ProgFripp74
UG's Djent maestro
 
ProgFripp74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Malmsteen is not faster than Guthrie for a start, the harmony lead break in WST is far faster and more accurate than anything Malmsteen could play.
Also, don't be a pretentious shred monkey, lots of people use tabs to play songs, its common and I'm sure lots of people who use tabs could play the song whereas you can't.

Actual advice: Just look at youtube vids on bass slapping or the vid above.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first



JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
ProgFripp74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
shredder3386
Lord of the Strings
 
shredder3386's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
I didn't even read the question, all I know is Guthrie Govan is amazing and watching that video made me instantly turn on Erotic Cakes for the millionth time.
__________________
What gives me wood:

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Ibanez S5470F
Ibanez RGD2127fx
Schecter Hellraiser C-7 FR
Axe FX II
Mackie HD1221
shredder3386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
Funk Monk
Shutup N' Play Yer Guitar
 
Funk Monk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Cool Video Bro.
__________________
Funk Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:03 AM   #7
Sickz
Jazz Musician
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
The reason you are having a harder time picking out Guthrie over Malmsteen is because Guthrie uses alot of jazz playing. That would be alot of chromatic playing, altered lines aswell as playing "outside" the key. Malmsteens style is not that hard to pick out, but it's of course hard to play.

I transcribed Wonderful Slippery Thing a while ago, and it's one of the hardest tune i have ever transcribed. Just because of the reasons stated above aswell as guthries phrasing. Some stuff he plays on that song you just don't hear that distinctly, but if it was taken away you would notice. I am talking about small pre bends/bends, sliding, etc
__________________
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #8
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
 
Zaphod_Beeblebr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Behind a desk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1ng_chung
I won't resort to tabs. Tabs are for the weak willed.


Well when you're done being a prick, check this out: http://www.freewebs.com/deadferretc...uthriegovan.htm
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!



Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #9
ch1ng_chung
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Well when you're done being a prick, check this out: http://www.freewebs.com/deadferretc...uthriegovan.htm


wow... shocks me that Govan would tab something out. Then again, it is the only effective notation for guitar. What shocked me even more is when I found out that I had transcribed the first few seconds of the song correctly by ear
ch1ng_chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
 
Zaphod_Beeblebr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Behind a desk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1ng_chung
wow... shocks me that Govan would tab something out. Then again, it is the only effective notation for guitar. What shocked me even more is when I found out that I had transcribed the first few seconds of the song correctly by ear


1 - He did tab transcriptions of music for Guitar Techniques magazine for a living for a long time.
2 - He claims he can write standard notation much better than he can read it.
3 - Of course you did, you admitted yourself that you had a lot of trouble remembering it when it came to transcribing even with it slowed down.
4 - By your own admission tab is the most effective guitar notation, why the snobbery in the first post?
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!



Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #11
ProgFripp74
UG's Djent maestro
 
ProgFripp74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1ng_chung
wow... shocks me that Govan would tab something out. Then again, it is the only effective notation for guitar. What shocked me even more is when I found out that I had transcribed the first few seconds of the song correctly by ear


Are you trying to prove how amazing you are because you can listen to something slowed down and transcribe a very small part of it? Then say tabs are for the weak but you can't play the song without one?

Your pretentious hypocrisy is on a level I have not quite seen before, well done.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first



JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
ProgFripp74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #12
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
 
mdc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
TS, Guthrie is an improviser. The only thing that stays the same in that song, like all of his songs, is the melody. And in this song, the slap intro, the tapping lick in the middle, and at the end of the song.

I think he'd appreciate that you do those parts justice and improvise the parts that are meant to be improvised.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #13
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
 
Morphogenesis26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc
TS, Guthrie is an improviser. The only thing that stays the same in that song, like all of his songs, is the melody. And in this song, the slap intro, the tapping lick in the middle, and at the end of the song.

I think he'd appreciate that you do those parts justice and improvise the parts that are meant to be improvised.


This. I've tried to doing some of his stuff, like Waves or Fives, and I always end up improvising over the crazy parts and playing the repeated section(Intro of Waves, chorus of Fives, etc.).

Also, Malmsteen's stuff is pretty straightforward and not that hard to tab out by ear.
__________________
When life gets tough and you don't know what to do, then just keep






Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:20 PM   #14
Funk Monk
Shutup N' Play Yer Guitar
 
Funk Monk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Well when you're done being a prick, check this out: http://www.freewebs.com/deadferretc...uthriegovan.htm

Lmao. Good Times
__________________
Funk Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #15
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
 
Freepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Dublin
Quote:
I've been playing 2.5 years and yet I can't even come close to that.


Quell surprise! Guthrie is hard for a relative beginner to imitate.

Just keep at it and keep using your ears. Getting anywhere near as good as Guthrie will take a lifetime, just like it has for him.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #16
steven seagull
not really a seagull
 
steven seagull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southport, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Quell surprise! Guthrie is hard for a relative beginner to imitate.

Just keep at it and keep using your ears. Getting anywhere near as good as Guthrie will take a lifetime, just like it has for him.

+1


so you've been playing a fraction of the years Guthrie has, you probably haven't practised as much or as much as he did in his first two years and I guarantee your practise hasn't been as intense or focussed as what he was doing.

And you're surprised that you can't play his stuff?
__________________
Actually called Mark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.


stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:54 PM   #17
ch1ng_chung
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
+1


so you've been playing a fraction of the years Guthrie has, you probably haven't practised as much or as much as he did in his first two years and I guarantee your practise hasn't been as intense or focussed as what he was doing.

And you're surprised that you can't play his stuff?


I'm pretty sure Govan started playing guitar when he was around 4
ch1ng_chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:58 PM   #18
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
 
mdc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
3, ACTUALLY. Lol
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:25 PM   #19
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
 
Zaphod_Beeblebr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Behind a desk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1ng_chung
I'm pretty sure Govan started playing guitar when he was around 4


As usual you have completely missed the point in favor of arguing some inconsequential detail.

For the record: Govan was transcribing Joe Pass by ear at a younger age than you even thought about picking up guitar. By that point he had been playing several times longer than you have been now.

When Wonderful Slippery Thing was first written he had already been playing for 19 years. The recorded version on the album was recorded somewhere around 10-13 years after that. There are literally hundreds of reasons why you cannot play this song, let alone transcribe it by ear.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!



Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:28 AM   #20
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
 
mdc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
It's also the song that won him Guitarist of the Year, TS. So suck on that.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:23 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.