Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-30-2013, 02:52 AM   #1
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

open up an amp a little more (OCD on Sovtek MIG)

first of this is a sovtek MIG, not a Marshall MG

the amp has been totally went over, recapped, replaced tube sockets, new pots switches and jacks. brand new JJ's he showed me on his tube tester, etc. i bought it off of a tech for a person who didn't pay for a long time (i saw the receipt, the tech was able to do whatever he wanted to do with it.

i am not totally sure, but i have heard the MIG 50's are comparable to JTM45's

as far as the volume, it is a silent whisper or a nasty snarl.

i would like to get a decent amount of gain out of the amp, but being its not a MV amp, it goes to the sky.

so here is where the OCD comes in. i bought it, it was my first decent pedal, i think it was one of the earlier V4, so a few years ago. i hadn't really liked it with anything but the renegade i used it on.

i tried it on the MIG and dimed the volume and had the gain at noon with the switch up and treble around 1 o'clock.

it sounds good that way, but my problem is that it kind of sounds boxy. what would be a better way to 'open it up more' without going deaf. i tried piggybacking it with varius OD's at a lower gain at the same volume to kick it harder.

would running the OCD at 18V do more what i want?

i have the lower input coming from the OCD and i have the higher gain on the second input, which i love turned up.

thoughts?

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:32 AM   #2
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

usually don't do this, but i guess BUMP!

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
Old 01-31-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
LaidBack
Call me Mike

I may just have something to do with the cutoff frequency for the pedal itself. Maybe look into one of the self-proclaimed transparent ODs, like a Klone or something? Not really sure. There's always SHOs and even LBP-1s as well.
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
LaidBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
ragingkitty
meow?

Just from my experience a boxy sound can also be caused by your cab and speakers. Have a look there as well.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaidBack
I may just have something to do with the cutoff frequency for the pedal itself. Maybe look into one of the self-proclaimed transparent ODs, like a Klone or something? Not really sure. There's always SHOs and even LBP-1s as well.

i have several other OD's (Zendrive clone, timmy clone, MI audio Blues Pro, and a ts808 type pedal). none of my other amps have worked well with the OCD, i am trying to find some usage out of it.

all of the other OD's are eq'd in for my other amps, which sound good.

the cab is an avatar with two EVH celestions and two V30's. sounds great with the head without adding any OD.

i am going to turn it up in the next little while, maybe the amp needs more breathing room as such.

i know this isn't a transparent OD, but what do you think about the new catalinbred DLS's? for this purpose.

thanks, i will do some messing around and see if i am happier with a higher volume, because i was playing rather quietly.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
Old 01-31-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Thought about adding a MV to it? You should be able to hang it straight of the treble pot. ie. treble wiper to top of MV pot, the wire that was going to the treble pot wiper to the wiper of the MV pot, bottom of MV pot to ground. 1MA pot.

Just had a quick look at the schematic. Bridge the inputs. ie physically connect the two inputs together internally with a piece of wire. That should thicken it up nicely.
Oh, and disconnect the switch on the second input so it isn't taken to ground when nothing is plugged into it.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 01-31-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:33 AM   #7
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Thought about adding a MV to it? You should be able to hang it straight of the treble pot. ie. treble wiper to top of MV pot, the wire that was going to the treble pot wiper to the wiper of the MV pot, bottom of MV pot to ground. 1MA pot.

Just had a quick look at the schematic. Bridge the inputs. ie physically connect the two inputs together internally with a piece of wire. That should thicken it up nicely.
Oh, and disconnect the switch on the second input so it isn't taken to ground when nothing is plugged into it.

the amp has been reworked extensively. i don't realy want a MV in this case, but bridging the inputs is tempting. may soound stupid, but which output would i use?

wire the hot wires together?

also i have two volumes on the head, would one volume pot then be useless, and one input useless? i like the flexibility of having the two channels.

cath what are your opinions as far as the channels go?

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
Old 02-01-2013, 02:04 AM   #8
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Yeah, just connect the tips. Basically doing what you do when you use a patch cable on the front of a JTM/plexi. You could just disconnect the tip from the back of the second input and solder it straight onto the tip of the first input. That way you wouldn't have to disconnect the switch, you just disconnect the whole second input. Just leave all the grounds where they are.
Easy to return to stock too if you do it that way.

The two inputs have different tones, a normal and a bright, and both volumes will still work. You adjust each volume until you get the blend you like. On my JTM45 that's usually 9 on normal, 8 on bright.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 02-01-2013, 02:50 AM   #9
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Yeah, just connect the tips. Basically doing what you do when you use a patch cable on the front of a JTM/plexi. You could just disconnect the tip from the back of the second input and solder it straight onto the tip of the first input. That way you wouldn't have to disconnect the switch, you just disconnect the whole second input. Just leave all the grounds where they are.
Easy to return to stock too if you do it that way.

The two inputs have different tones, a normal and a bright, and both volumes will still work. You adjust each volume until you get the blend you like. On my JTM45 that's usually 9 on normal, 8 on bright.

theoritcally could i turn one channel to zero and still have the other channel play?

are you saying they kind of mix together?

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
Old 02-01-2013, 02:57 AM   #10
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Sorta. yeah. There's some leakage through the grid 300K stopper to ground but in essence yes. You could always add a switch if you want to but it's hardly worth it. Most guys that know, jumper the front of their plexis and it stays there.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 02-01-2013, 03:03 AM   #11
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Sorta. yeah. There's some leakage through the grid 300K stopper to ground but in essence yes. You could always add a switch if you want to but it's hardly worth it. Most guys that know, jumper the front of their plexis and it stays there.

thanks cath. i appreciate it. i have a long line of stuff that needs to be done first. one being the modding of the blue voodoo. next being trying to figure out whats wrong with my 10 band, and then i have a fuzz pedal that needs fixing, and a ampeg lee jackson that something fried. i am dragging my feet on the ampeg. i don't like unthreading a dozen board mounted pots to pull the top board out.

i need to clean my work space, which isn't easy and then i will progress, but i also have two cabs i built in the way, still haven't decided speakers, they are big cabs though one is definitely getting a 15" and the other will be a probably EV12 of some form.

and do you know what is funny? i don't even remember what the hell the ampeg sounds like.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
Old 02-01-2013, 03:19 AM   #12
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

They're chassis mount sockets on the Mig aren't they?
If so then this is a 10 second job apart from removing the chassis. You just whip the wire off one socket and solder it onto the other.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Old 02-01-2013, 03:58 AM   #13
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
They're chassis mount sockets on the Mig aren't they?
If so then this is a 10 second job apart from removing the chassis. You just whip the wire off one socket and solder it onto the other.

this is a little confusing, are you referring sockets as jacks or actual tube sockets (which are all new anyways).

if you are referring to the amp i don't remember.

so take the tip off of the second jack and literally run it in series with the first tip, which then that just goes to the preamp nothing else needed?

i will see when i get it open. i really need to do the BV. i have been clearing more out to get to my bench.

on another note, any advice for PCB soldering? i haven't done it before IIRC, everything has been turret board that i have messed with.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat

Rate This Thread: