Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-31-2013, 03:52 AM   #1
mattmakaha

Radio is still important?? Radio use in natural disasters...

Hurricane/megastorm Sandy reminded us that radio is still important. While texting on your cell phone works sometimes in disasters when the power is down until your battery runs out, a hand-cranked powered radio can be helpful in listening to local radio stations that are still up (hopefully the ones with working generators) to obtain important info during the storm/disaster.

And I'm not sure this will ever change regardless of the advance of technology, because humans can never control Mother nature.
But maybe I'm wrong.
Do you think that this will change?

It also kinda made people stop looking at their smart phones for a little while, and instead look at what's happening around them.

Last edited by mattmakaha : 01-31-2013 at 03:53 AM.
mattmakaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:58 AM   #2
the bartender
Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmakaha
And I'm not sure this will ever change regardless of the advance of technology, because humans can never control Mother nature.
Wait.. so because we can't control nature, radio will always be our most reliable source of information during a disaster? I don't even..

To sacrifice these children

You must not do it anymore
the bartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:06 AM   #3
Neo Evil11
Worse than rapists

Actuallly, geographical information systems as well as social media are more importsnt in the future. One can use gis to map everything and give help troops the exact information they need to do their job. If you couple that to the information you get from social media and people directly, you can as a central control station set up a very efficiënt response. I have seen it being used in Jamaica, Pakistan and Japan already.

ಠ_ಠ
Neo Evil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmakaha
Hurricane/megastorm Sandy reminded us that radio is still important. While texting on your cell phone works sometimes in disasters when the power is down until your battery runs out, a hand-cranked powered radio can be helpful in listening to local radio stations that are still up (hopefully the ones with working generators) to obtain important info during the storm/disaster.

But maybe I'm wrong.
Do you think that this will change?

Yes, I do think it will change and it will be an advancement in technology that will be responsible. All it requires is for someone to add the 'hand-cranked powered' technology to cell phones.

Slacker's Art Website.
SlackerBabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
a_7_x
x'; DROP TABLE *; --

BBC Radio 4:

Quote:
The station has also been designated as the UK's national broadcaster in times of national emergency such as a war: if all other radio stations were forced to close, Radio 4 would still carry on broadcasting.[8] It has been claimed that Radio 4 had an additional role during the Cold War: the commanders of nuclear-armed submarines believing that Britain had suffered nuclear attack were required to check if they could still receive Radio 4, and if they could not would open sealed orders which might authorise a retaliatory strike.

"And it's the thrill of life that enables us to flow"
a_7_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
JohnnyGenzale
Bitter old sod

Radio - live transmission.

Dance dance dance dance dance to the radio
Old 01-31-2013, 06:50 AM   #7
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

I listen to loads of stuff on the radio. Desert Island Disks, special programmes like Jerry Hall talking about the Stones, Talk Sport etc.

It's a valuable medium that relies on the talents of the broadcaster to paint a picture with words that isn't done nearly as well on TV. It's an art form, to be able to enthral someone with a universe created by words and radio is a talent and is similar or the same to the way a book can pull you in.

Lots of people aren't interested in the cultural aspect of radio, in all the great programmes and broadcasters on it, it seems that the people wouldn't be asking this question if they listened to it. It's not just dubstep and rock music, you know.

Radio is more than just a spoken Morse Code, it's not just here as a way for the authorities to communicate during disasters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 01-31-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:46 AM   #8
boreamor
^(^_^)^

boreamor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Three Dog! You the man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:10 AM   #10
durhamdynamo
Spaceologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
I listen to loads of stuff on the radio. Desert Island Disks, special programmes like Jerry Hall talking about the Stones, Talk Sport etc.

It's a valuable medium that relies on the talents of the broadcaster to paint a picture with words that isn't done nearly as well on TV. It's an art form, to be able to enthral someone with a universe created by words and radio is a talent and is similar or the same to the way a book can pull you in.

Lots of people aren't interested in the cultural aspect of radio, in all the great programmes and broadcasters on it, it seems that the people wouldn't be asking this question if they listened to it. It's not just dubstep and rock music, you know.

Radio is more than just a spoken Morse Code, it's not just here as a way for the authorities to communicate during disasters.

Adrian Durham is certainly special.
________!
durhamdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: