Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-30-2013, 06:24 AM   #1
craney5

My 1st acoustic

Hi all

I have only just joined up here this morning so hello to everyone go easy on me

Im looking to take some acoustic guitar lessons either from paying lessons or perhaps trying to learn from the interent. Im looking to pickup my first guitar in the next few weeks but dont want to rush into it and end up getting something i am not happy with.

Just looking to find out what people seems to have had success with in reagards to buying a 1st acoustic. I have been browsing around the web and i do really like the look of the Epiphone EJ-200 but it seems a little hard to come by but looked a nice price at around 260-300. Would that be to expensive do you think for a 1st guitar?

I really would appreciate anyones help and time in helping me find something that would be great for me

Thanks so much everyone

Liam
craney5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
stepchildusmc

if you can afford it, no. the better guitar you start with, the more the likelihood that you'll keep playing it. the cheaper guitars are horrible and difficult to play. another choice in the range would be a yamaha FG700. great guitar for the money. very good build quality. not as pretty but you aren't really buying it for its looks, ultimately sound is what you want.
you'll have enough left over for the rest of the essentials... a Snark clip-on tuner, a capo and a selection of picks.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
craney5

Thanks so much for that mate, i live in the UK essex to be exact i dont suppose there are some well known guitar shops you might know off assuming you live in the UK yourself that might be worth taking a look at?

Dont mean to sound silly here but what is the main gain from using a capo on an acoustic?

Thanks again matey
Old 01-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
azrael4h

It allows you to play open chords higher up the neck. I've written exactly two songs that require mine, but for those songs, it's absolutely a requirement. I suppose you could just use Barre chords all the time, but I suck at those.

I second the Snark tuner. I absolutely love mine. It makes tuning my 12 string so easy.

I've liked the feel and sound on those Yamahas as well, though I also found several very nice and inexpensive Ibanez guitars. There's one at the local GC that's been heavily discounted, due to wear from sitting on the shelf for so long and getting played over and over. Outstanding tone, and easy to play. Of course, I don't know what they would cost over in the UK, or if they're even available. But if I was buying or picking a guitar for an absolute new player, I would go toward the Yamaha FG series or an Ibanez acoustic. Unless they were wealthy, in which case, I'd hand them a Taylor or Martin. Mostly a Taylor, I absolutely adore those.
azrael4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
craney5

Thanks for that mate, dont know if i would ever be able to write a song full credit to you though for doing so!

I actually have a guitar shop right on my doorstep could not believe it! Went in there this afternoon they had so many it was a real insight. The one that felt the best to me was a Crafter TC035 6 string model it had a great base sound to it. The price was 351. They had a lot of fender models in there but the guys in there were great and they played me some chords on them but to me they sounded quite "Tinny" so to speak compared to the Crafter.

The crafter had a solid wood top but laminate sides but i must admit the sound was nice and its a semi acoustic as well should i decide to plug an amp in i guess. Had a nice tuner built in as well which i guess can only help a 1st timer like myself . I can feel it on my finger tips already only had a few strums!
Old 01-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by craney5
The one that felt the best to me was a Crafter TC035 6 string model it had a great base sound to it. The price was 351. They had a lot of fender models in there but the guys in there were great and they played me some chords on them but to me they sounded quite "Tinny" so to speak compared to the Crafter.
Crafter guitars have a fine reputation. However, it's not a "push" product, here in the USA. Our major online retailer don't carry them.

With that said, a couple of our members from overseas and Australia, do recommend them.

Fender is striving for the "Fender sound", very bright and twangy, even in their acoustics, which serves to explain the "tinny" appraisal, coming from someone who is obviously not a fan of that kind of sonic philosophy.

Overall, I think a Crafter might be a slightly better buy than Fender. Crafter is MIK, While the Fenders are MIC.

You can brighten a "dull" guitar, or "tame" a very bright one, which your choice of string sets. 80/20 brass strings are bright, while phosphor bronze sets are much warmer. After you decide on a guitar, string choice will give you a little "wiggle room" to tweak the sound to your liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael4h
It allows you to play open chords higher up the neck. I've written exactly two songs that require mine, but for those songs, it's absolutely a requirement. I suppose you could just use Barre chords all the time, but I suck at those.
Using open chords allows unfretted strings to "drone". Which is great to fill out the sound when you're playing alone. However, when you release a barre chord, you almost can't help a momentary, (or intentional) full mute. In any event, sometimes you want a"stacatto" effect, and you have to turn to using barres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael4h
I second the Snark tuner. I absolutely love mine. It makes tuning my 12 string so easy.
Gosh, I have three 12 strings, 2 snarks, a Planet Waves clip on tuner, and a Fender pedal tuner, and I wouldn't call any 12 string, "easy to tune". That could be me though.

I was looking for a rack tuner with a frequency counter feature, when I was rudely faced with the $1000.00 a pop average price for one.

BTW, pretty much everyone sucks at barre chords on a 12 string. Don't be too hard on yourself...

Last edited by Captaincranky : 01-30-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
craney5

Thanks for the in depth response mate much appreciated. I think i might bite the bullet and treat myself to the Crafter they had some 99 Fenders but i thought id rather pay a little more and perhaps buy something i would look to keep long term.

I have been browsing the web all afternoon looking for basic starting guides and i must say its all very daunting at the first glance but i guess it will take time to learn all the different chords out there. I think i might look into 1 to 1 lessons to start me off just so i know i have the basics correct. There is a chap close to me who does them for 25 an hr so maybe that might be a good place to start.

If i am honest im only looking to really get into this for a hobby as i feel it can really help clear your head so to speak and lets you go into your own little world which i could really do with as work stresses me out!

I love acoustic music more than anything which is why i would like to opt for an acoustic guitar, i'm a massive Noel fan and have been for years and i just love his acoustic gigs he did with Gem back in 2006 and just watching them is whats inspiring me to actually go for it. Had a quick look at the chords for a few of his acoustic tracks and they do seem rather complicated but i guess once you have the basics it will come with time.........i hope

Thanks again guys
Old 01-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
azrael4h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
Gosh, I have three 12 strings, 2 snarks, a Planet Waves clip on tuner, and a Fender pedal tuner, and I wouldn't call any 12 string, "easy to tune". That could be me though.

Compared to trying to tune it with a pitch pipe, using a snark is super easy . I want one of those Smith 18 string guitars too, that should be fun to tune, in the Dwarf Fortress sense.

On the capo, I'll admit my technical knowledge is a bit lacking. My method of writing is playing stuff that sounds right over and over, then slowly writing a tab for it. The two songs I've wrote basically just needed to move up the neck, so I dug out the capo, and voila! slapping it on the third fret and playing open chords from there made it sound exactly as it did in my head.

Quote:
BTW, pretty much everyone sucks at barre chords on a 12 string. Don't be too hard on yourself...

Yes, but I also suck at barre chords on a 6 string. I think I would suck at them on a one string some days. :P

I agree with you on the Fender acoustics. I love my 12 string's sound, but I also bought that years ago. I sold a 2011 Fender 6 string not long ago because of it's overly bright and twangy sound. Replaced it with a Martin and never looked back.
azrael4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
stepchildusmc

the crafter would be a great choice craney. built in tuners are the bomb !!! don't worry about how daunting it is at first. learning guitar is like learning a whole new language, just worry about one word at a time. www.justinguitar.com is an excellent place to start if you aren't using a teacher. great lesson plans. the guys are right about bar chords( here in the US, we cheat and shorten everything). i worked very hard on the F bar chord. justin has a great 1 minute chord changing excercise. i used with the F and every other major/minor chord for months. if you can get the F down, every other chord is relatively simple. i just started with the hardest, made the others much easier to learn.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
craney5

Thanks so much for the advice and link mate much appreciated! Im going to pick up my Crafter TCO35 tomorrow from these guys who are just round the corner from me
http://www.peachguitars.com/
Old 02-01-2013, 02:42 AM   #11
Prescott_Player

Hello and welcome !

The guitar recommendation question comes up a lot around here... you are definitely right that you want to start with a good guitar, otherwise you won't be able to get anywhere.

What I always tell people is that there is no guitar on the market that plays well, right out of the box. At least I don't think so. But on the other hand, there are quite a few that have the potential, if you just do an action job on them. So rather than recommend a specific brand, I just say to pick a nice one with the tone woods you prefer and then be prepared to put some time and money into tweaking it up.

I like a solid Sitka spuce top with a mahogany box. That's pretty common and gives a nice bright sound. By the way, a 25.5" scale is also brighter than the shorter scale models. And as to box size, I prefer an Orchestral or better yet a Grand Concert... Dreadnaughts are really bulky and uncomfortable, for me.

Now, the action job usually involves fret leveling, switching to lighter strings, adjusting the truss rod, and lowering the saddle. In addition I always recommend changing the tuners to Grover (18 to 1 ratio) and installing Schaller strap locks.

Don't forget to get a really nice hard case, and keep the guitar in it whenever it's not in use.

Other things you'll need... digital tuner, picks, strap, stand, extra strings, tuner crank, pin puller, and perhaps a music stand if you intend to play from written material.

Oh yeah, don't forget the nail clippers !

Cheers,

Jean

Last edited by Prescott_Player : 02-01-2013 at 02:47 AM.
Prescott_Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #12
craney5

Thanks very much for all the info mate, this is the spec for the guitar i quite like the feel of. It felt a tiny bit bulky on my right arm (struming arm) but i think thats just down to me not being used to holding a guitar. It was a dreadnought size i believe

There was a smaller guitar which was really nice and comfy, Fender Ron Emory Loyalty Slope Jr Parlor was the model but the sound was not as nice which was a shame. This is the smaller guitar i mention

http://www.peachguitars.com/guitars...e-jr-parlor.htm

They do it in the dreadnought size as well, the spec for the crafter guitar i like is below what do you think? Description not from the site below as it was not actually on there so got it from another site

http://www.peachguitars.com/guitars...after-tc035.htm
Crafter TC-035 Natural

MODEL NAME - TC035/N
BODY STYLE - Orchestra Cutaway Model
TOP - Solid Engelmann Spruce
BACK - Indian Rosewood
SIDES - Indian Rosewood
BRACING - A-brace
NECK - Mahogany
WIDTH AT NUT - 43mm
FRET BOARD - Indian Rosewood
SCALE LENGTH - 647.70mm
NO. OF FRETS - 21
MACHINE HEADS - Gold Diecast tuners
BRIDGE - Indian Rosewood
HARDWARE - Gold
ELECTRONICS - New LR-T RX (LCD Tuner) Preamp with L.R.Baggs Element Pick-up
COLOUR - Natural
FINISH - Gloss
UNIQUE FEATURES - Dovetail Neck Joint, Snowdrop position marks, Abalone body binding & soundhole inlay, Combo Jack
STRINGS - DAddario EJ26 Custom Light, Gauges(m/m): 0.28, 0.38, 0.56, 0.81, 1.07, 1.32
Colour: Natural
New/2nd hand: New
Incl. extras: Inc. Gigbag

Last edited by craney5 : 02-01-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
stepchildusmc

ahh...compromises, compromises. if you like the richer fuller sound of the dread, it'll get easier to play with some practice. that crafter looks nice...good specs. there aren't any crafter dealers in my area unfortunately(patticake probably has a source for them in her hall closet...curse her!) so i can't try one. they look interesting and i hear good reviews about them.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #14
craney5

I ended up buying myself the Crafter , just waiting for the guys to lower the action a little for me as it was a little high so shall be picking it up tomorrow
http://www.musicwarehouse.co.uk/cra...tic-guitar.html

Will the built in tuner on the Crafter be good enough do you think or would i be better off buying a seperate one? Not sure what else i need to pickup, i have my picks and guitar thats it for now need to get a strap sometime soon when i decide to try and stand and play i guess

Last edited by craney5 : 02-01-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #15
stepchildusmc

a capo will be a must. onboard tuner should be fine. a simple guitar stand should be kept handy. experiment with picks. i have 3 different ones i use regularly. picks are like strings( of which a spare set should ALWAYS be handy), very subjective to the players ears.
don't forget to take some pics of it and post them in a HNGD thread, we all enjoy a new guitar...it's like baby pictures with women... only time you'll get me to say "aww...eets soooo cuuute" is in a HNGD
Old 02-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #16
craney5

Cheers for that pal i shall indeed post a few pictures up tomorrow evening once ive picked up my new baby
Old 02-02-2013, 05:30 AM   #17
cypherdid

Every guitar is different. Like snowflakes. Even the same model from the same manufacturer. Try as many guitars as You can in Your hometown...pick one that sounds good for You. Doesn't matter if it's a Fender, Yamaha, Crafter, Takamine, Tanglewood or whatever.
cypherdid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #18
craney5

Finally getting started with my new toy and i am getting the hand of the D chord haha i guess its not a bad start for a 1st timer. Im looking at the Justin Guitar site which seems to be the best place to start fro begineers like me. Im looking to hopefully be able to learn some Noel Gallagher acoustic tunes but still seems a little way off going by some of the tutorials i have seen on youtube but hopefully one day i'll get there
Old 02-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #19
Captaincranky

Good work! The D major open chord is possibly the most wondrous of all guitar chords. Not only that, you never outgrow it! Nor does one ever get tired of it. By lifting and adding various fingers, it's the chameleon of guitar chords. D5add9, Dsuss4, D7, Dmaj7, Gadd9, D6, and possibly others are at your beckon call. I've played that chord for pushing 50 years, and I love it now, as much as the day I first met it. (Seriously!). It is THE go to 12 string chord. Rodger McGuinn, (The Byrds), had hit after hit involving D major at some point and a Rickenbacker 12 string.....Patti Smith has a new song out, "Banga", that only uses one chord, D major. (Seriously)......

Last edited by Captaincranky : 02-04-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #20
craney5

Haha i have only just about learned D let alone all the other you mention there

Kind of a random question, when using a capo say on the 2nd fret does this then mean the when playing chords etc the 3rd fret effectively becomes the 1st fret?

Bare with me im still learning

Rate This Thread: