Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #1
db133

Kahler Spyder 2720 Replacement ?

Hi

Just joined, so hello to you all from Brighton Sussex in the UK.

I have a Kahler Spyder 2720 which is getting tired. Can some please inform me of the direct repacement Floyd Rose and where to obtain one at the best price.

In any event kind regards. db

Last edited by db133 : 01-30-2013 at 07:10 AM.
db133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
earthwormjim

I'm pretty sure you'll have to route the guitar a little, so technically there's no direct replacement. Closest to a direct replacement would be a new old stock Spyder, and those are not cheap.

Luckily the stud spacing is the same between that and a Floyd Rose. So if you're ok with routing a tiny bit, you can get a nice quality Gotoh Floyd Rose. You'll have to install new studs too, but that would be expected.

Is that an HM Strat?

Take some measurements and really see if you have to route at all.

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodie...ingOptions.aspx

Refer to Original Floyd Rose Recessed for whether or not it'll fit with no modification.

Last edited by earthwormjim : 01-30-2013 at 12:31 PM.
earthwormjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
db133

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwormjim
I'm pretty sure you'll have to route the guitar a little, so technically there's no direct replacement. Closest to a direct replacement would be a new old stock Spyder, and those are not cheap.

Luckily the stud spacing is the same between that and a Floyd Rose. So if you're ok with routing a tiny bit, you can get a nice quality Gotoh Floyd Rose. You'll have to install new studs too, but that would be expected.

Is that an HM Strat?

Refer to Original Floyd Rose Recessed for whether or not it'll fit with no modification.

Yes it is a HM Strat. My trem is ok at the moment but I wondered what the change to a Floyd Rose will cost and what to use. Thanks for the information much appreciated kind regards.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
Mars Rover
Guitar Cannibal

The guys on the HM Strat Forum are helpful. It may take a while to get an answer -or there's a good possibility that the answer is already there.
http://www.heavymetalstrat.com/
EBMM JP6, EBMM Bongo Bass 5-string, Heritage H140CM, ESP Tele Copy, ESP P-Bass Copy, ESP Maverick, Fender HM Strat, Ibanez ST-55, Epiphone Broadway, Taylor 310, Seagull S-12, Musicman Sixty-Five Reverb, Fender HRD, Ampeg B-25B
Mars Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
db133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Rover
The guys on the HM Strat Forum are helpful. It may take a while to get an answer -or there's a good possibility that the answer is already there.
http://www.heavymetalstrat.com/

Hi

Thanks for the info its appreciated. Regards.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
db133

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwormjim

Is that an HM Strat?

What is the correct Gotoh Floyd Rose for the HM strat (17" Radius) ?

I understand that the Gotoh FR is the way to go as its possible to order the correct parts for the 17" Radius. Lots of information to take in....................................
Old 01-31-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
db133

Just found this again (I lost it !)

Well, here is the solution to my HM. At this online store - Beyond Eleven - you can get different radius Floyd Rose nuts. I'm buying a #9 (number 9?) which has a radius of 15". If the fretboard and frets are 16" radius, the 15" nut and 16" Gotoh bridge should be pretty darn close. A lot of the Gotohs are sold with the nut separately now, too, which turns out to be good.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:42 AM   #8
earthwormjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by db133
What is the correct Gotoh Floyd Rose for the HM strat (17" Radius) ?

I understand that the Gotoh FR is the way to go as its possible to order the correct parts for the 17" Radius. Lots of information to take in....................................

You should measure the radius first. It's not guaranteed that your neck is 17". There's some variation between HM Strats depending on when and where they were made.

Even if yours was originally 17", I'm sure you've had at least one fret job done on the guitar by now. It might not still be 17".

If you don't have the tools, you can print out part of a circle with a 17" radius then cut out the inside of it.

Last edited by earthwormjim : 02-02-2013 at 12:43 AM.
earthwormjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:00 AM   #9
db133

Hi
Please understand, my HM is ok and I do not intend to change any thing, I have just accuired it and am pleased to inform the Spyder 2720 on it is ok but looks tired !

I am interested to learn what is what, how to improve and what to look out for etc. I do like the neck shape and will measure it in the next few days. Thanks for the information. I did not know the necks varied or much about the Floyd rose tremolo's and all their variations. I have enjoyed reading up on the subject. kind regards.

Last edited by db133 : 02-02-2013 at 06:01 AM.

Rate This Thread: