Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: Why are fat people fat?
because they're lazy 58 47.93%
medical condition/emotionally damaged 10 8.26%
CAKE!!!!! 53 43.80%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #21
Crofty89
I came here to rock

It's possible to be healthy and of a size that is considered fat, you know. There's far more reasons than just lazyness or eating disorders. There's the efficiency of your body's metabolism, how much water your body retains, variations in muscle structure, body shape and fat distribution, hypothyroidism and a dozen other factors. Not forgetting, of course, being comfortable with your own body and not giving a damn whether people consider you fat or not.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
Crofty89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #22
boreamor
^(^_^)^

It's ****ing both. Your class is ****ing stupid.
boreamor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #23
ali.guitarkid7
a real man

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
You don't look obese in your photos

THere's a difference. Plus, you're doing a bunch of stuff according to element's fitness thread

Trick photography.

But I was really just kidding

look at you scared now hoe
ali.guitarkid7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #24
strat0blaster
growing out of the snake

Well, this is going to be an unhealthily large discussion...

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
show
strat0blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #25
WaterGod
SEC *****es!!!!!

If there's anything I learned from exercise phys it's that obesity is caused by an obsession with huge portion sizes and lack of exercise. That's why Americans are so fat because we love to gorge are selves on mcnuggets and can't go 50 feet without our car.
WaterGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #26
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crofty89
It's possible to be healthy and of a size that is considered fat, you know. There's far more reasons than just lazyness or eating disorders. There's the efficiency of your body's metabolism, how much water your body retains, variations in muscle structure, body shape and fat distribution, hypothyroidism and a dozen other factors. Not forgetting, of course, being comfortable with your own body and not giving a damn whether people consider you fat or not.

All of that can helped by eating healthily and exercising regularly.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #27
Obsceneairwaves
A'int no prohpet

not a single vote for medical condition/emotionally damaged

nice
Old 01-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #28
Eastwinn
UG ex-Addict

diabetes
Eastwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #29
Ninja#117

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE

yup.

In late HS i started to go down the fat road. I was 5'8 but nearly 215 lbs and believe me it wasnt a cut NFL RB 215 either. I used to play football but i got hurt and let myself completely go.

I started to get picked on and i couldnt accept chicks calling me fat and shit so i damn near killed my self getting back into exercise. It was tough at first but i've since got it down and i now stand at a cut 5'10 205 lbs.

If its not some gland problem which i have been lead to believe is very rare then its either on your parents if they let your spoiled ass eat what ever you wanted coming up or on yourself for watching as the weight piled on every day when you got up and looked in the mirror. Either way it doesnt HAVE to stay that way fatties just rarely get up the self strength to make the change.

The poll is correct so far.

edit: the 5'8 to 5'10 jump is obivously from time passing and me getting taller and not from working out lol.

Last edited by Ninja#117 : 01-30-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Ninja#117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #30
takachan

Although many people believe their weight gain to attribute to genetics by saying it runs in the family should also note that during the middle ages, most of the population were peasants and had a very hard time keeping weight being of lack of nutrition.
It is technically the calories you absorb day to day that contribute to your weight gain.

If you look at native populations of many countries, even if their diet consisted of heavy sides of meat and little vegetables, being morbidly obese almost never occurred in the youth.

Our bodies are very smart, yet very dumb in a sense.
When we are overweight for our height, even by just 20 pounds, our blood pressure goes up. When we are overweight, we tend to tire out a lot faster, and feel like we are going to die if we take that short walk, or feel pain in the legs due to all of our extra baggage.
Even so, the body chooses to keep absorbing all the fat in food that we consume.
A smart body would detect that we have enough fat and their is no need to store it, therefore it will automatically just shoot it off as waste.

But we have to understand that regular reflexes like breathing, digesting, heart rate, and other vital things are going on in the background and the conscious mind is what makes the most important decisions.

I believe once people understand how important the conscious mind is, we will understand that we can choose our fate, not only through what we eat. But also through what we choose to do with our daily habits and such.

Would I be against a pill that cures unnecessary weight gain? Of course not, why should I? It would be the same as me being against certain medication for people who have seizures and other disabilities. It would technically be more "natural" for them to stay the way they are, but it would also be more "natural" to keep the blind "blind" and the amputees "immobile".
takachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #31
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja#117
yup.

In late HS i started to go down the fat road. I was 5'8 but nearly 215 lbs and believe me it wasnt a cut NFL RB 215 either. I used to play football but i got hurt and let myself completely go.

I started to get picked on and i couldnt accept chicks calling me fat and shit so i damn near killed my self getting back into exercise. It was tough at first but i've since got it down and i now stand at a cut 5'10 205 lbs.

If its not some gland problem which i have been lead to believe is very rare then its either on your parents if they let your spoiled ass eat what ever you wanted coming up or on yourself for watching as the weight piled on every day when you got up and looked in the mirror. Either way it doesnt HAVE to stay that way fatties just rarely get up the self strength to make the change.

The poll is correct so far.

edit: the 5'8 to 5'10 jump is obivously from time passing and me getting taller and not from working out lol.

I admire your dedication, dude.

In other words, even in those other circumstances, overweight people still don't have an excuse.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #32
CoreysMonster
Banned

I know a woman who has an actual medical reason for being overweight.

She'll put on insane water weight in her thighs or ankles or whatever literally overnight - she didn't slowly start gaining weight, it happened all at once. She takes medication and goes to regular checkups to supress whatever it is she has (she told me once but I forgot).

That being said, those are like 0.1% of fat people. A very, very small minority. Most people just eat to much and move too little.
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #33
Mister.Y
something something

Quote:

Hypothyroidism can't.
But you're right in the sense that most of those issues can't really account for obesity if you pair it with a healthy diet and excercise. You might be a bit heavier than most if you have several of those things, but it doesn't mean you're obese because of them.
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
Mister.Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #34
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.Y
Hypothyroidism can't.
But you're right in the sense that most of those issues can't really account for obesity if you pair it with a healthy diet and excercise. You might be a bit heavier than most if you have several of those things, but it doesn't mean you're obese because of them.

Exactly.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #35
ShameofaNation
yep

I'd call it a mix of lazy and emotional damage.

It's more that they just get into a habit of eating and staying inside that they just don't have the willpower to break. At least that's how I was, then I just finally got tired of it and did sometime about it, successfully.

It's being weak, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primusfan
> from louisville
> likes ween
> new favorite poster
ShameofaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #36
Skullivan
EG Fan aka Bandwagoner

Quote:
Some people dig fat chicks.

I, for one, happen to be a chubby-chasing champion.
Originally Posted by jazz-rock-feel
How damaging is it for a trans person to be referred to the incorrect gender as a child?
I don't see how it would be damaging. I got called C-dog for a number of years despite not being a dog. I turned out alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickel_w
PRS is not enough
Skullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #37
willT08
Official Classist

ITT: Fat fucker apologists
willT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #38
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major

Emotionally damaged is a dumb excuse. I know a lot of emotionally damaged people, and only one of the ones I know is fat. (His mom is also literally a crack wh*re, so he never got the whole nutrition thing as a kid.) And hell, a healthy diet and regular exercise is guaranteed to make you feel better anyway.

And even if they do have a medical condition or something, theres no excuse if they aren't trying to do something about it. Hypothyroidism doesn't cause you to have a bad diet and to not exercise, it just makes it a lot harder to lose weight. And not as many people have hypothyroidism as claim to have it. I will give someone a break if they are at least trying to do something about their weight, but just wishing you weren't so fat isn't going to do something about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Danjo's Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #39
Joshua Garcia
UG Senior Member

I think it's a little bit of both of those reasons. One isn't right-er than the other.

So I voted cake.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #40
institutions
i ply base

I'm fat and i'm lazy.

=^● ⋏ ●^=
my anime list! | steam! | last.fm!
playing: nba 2k15, rocksmith 2014
institutions is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: