Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: Why are fat people fat?
because they're lazy 58 47.93%
medical condition/emotionally damaged 10 8.26%
CAKE!!!!! 53 43.80%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #61
Avedas
yoloswag420

Genes and big bones.

The difference between a "fast" metabolism and a "slow" one is about half a peanut butter sandwich per day.
Avedas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #62
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

If we are talking about people who are so disgustingly obese that they can barely walk then I absolutely do not believe that it was due to anything other than being extremely lazy.

Sure you can be large due to genetics, but there is a limit.
Random3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #63
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark

You're fat, you disgust me, and yes, you should kill yourself.

CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Linkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #64
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguitarist
Most people I've met who say the first bit, when they actually do the math and count their calories, & adjust for their activity rates, aren't really eating that much.

Sure, metabolism speed plays a role, but for people who don't have retention problems, I think the effect is minor.

Hmmm...

All I have is anecdotal evidence to the contrary, but my wife's mother eats truly ridiculous amounts of food every day, does not exercise and maintains in the 105-110 range and has for years.

Seriously, she eats far more than I do, going so far as to get up at night and eat leftovers and/or sweets. It's a running joke when she stays at our house that 'no food is safe'.

I had a roommate several years ago that was the same way. Poor bastard was actively trying to gain weight using supplements and massive quantities of food and it just didn't happen.

But admittedly those are the only two I know of, and that's hardly a competent sample size.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #65
guitarxo
cat

Portion size is important too - even if you constantly snack throughout the day you might still be eating less than someone who eats 3 large meals. The details of most metabolic pathways still need to be researched further. But definitely if calories in > calories out you will gain weight, you just have to find out how to strike a balance where you want it to be.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #66
fail
Custom Mandy Moore avatar

Obese people can lose most of their weight by diet alone. So it's not laziness, it's ignorance. People don't realize how fattening some foods are.
fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #67
CoreysMonster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fail
Obese people can lose most of their weight by diet alone. So it's not laziness, it's ignorance. People don't realize how fattening some foods are.

CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #68
fail
Custom Mandy Moore avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster
bread makes you fat

I thought of exactly that.
fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #69
MrDo0m
Blessed Sisyphus

If you're lazy, you're emotionally damaged because you're lazy. If someone is fat, it's in his or her genetics to be fat, either because it's in their genetics to have a really low metabolism, or it's in their genetics to be lazy, or it's in their genetics to be both. If you think about it, all we are are our (are are our lol) genetics.

Last edited by MrDo0m : 01-30-2013 at 03:21 PM.
MrDo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #70
The Madcap
Classical Guitarist

There's no single kind of "fat people."

The ones I sympathize the most with are the ones who have fat parents and they're pretty much obese before they can remember. Their parents overfeed them McDonalds and KFC and they can eat whenever they want. That's a cause of fat people.

I don't think the emotionally damaged kind are too common but I can see it. I know people who don't eat a lot or eat healthy, but if they're ever going through tough shit like a really bad break-up, they just eat non-stop, like really bad junk food.

You also have what I think is the majority, were people get older, metabolism starts to suck, and their life gets boring and they just eat.

And some people just f*cking love food.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012 (I know, at this point it's sad).
Voted UG's best Male dresser 2011.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtasic15
Ahem, no offense to any of the fags mentioned.
The Madcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #71
captaincrunk
See, I Got News for You.

A majority of people aren't fat and because they've accomplished so little in their lives they want to tear down fat people and try to build themselves up with some ****ed up feeling that they actually did something to be thin, when most of even those people don't have to exercise.

In short, **** you self important cuntcandles.
#15 in the 2012 top 100
#23 in the 2010 top 100

NEW UG ALBUM! GET UG ELECTRONIC ALBUM: DISC THREE TODAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
I respect crunk.
captaincrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #72
MrDo0m
Blessed Sisyphus

I sympathize for "fat people" because I used to be overweight myself. I used to be scrawny growing up, then I gained a shit load of weight and actually got fat, then I lost a lot of weight in just several months from diet and exercise. I think in general people treat you with less respect when you are "fat" as opposed to when you are "scrawny."

Last edited by MrDo0m : 01-30-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #73
Mister.Y
something something

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDo0m
I sympathize for "fat people" because I used to be overweight myself. I used to be scrawny growing up, then I gained a shit load of weight and actually got fat, then I lost a lot of weight in just several months from diet and exercise. I think in general people treat you with less respect when you are "fat" as opposed to when you are "scrawny."

Did your genes tell you to lose weight?
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
Mister.Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #74
MrDo0m
Blessed Sisyphus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.Y
Did your genes tell you to lose weight?

No, my jeans told me to.

bah dum tss

Last edited by MrDo0m : 01-30-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #75
Ninja#117

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madcap
There's no single kind of "fat people."

The ones I sympathize the most with are the ones who have fat parents and they're pretty much obese before they can remember. Their parents overfeed them McDonalds and KFC and they can eat whenever they want. That's a cause of fat people.I don't think the emotionally damaged kind are too common but I can see it. I know people who don't eat a lot or eat healthy, but if they're ever going through tough shit like a really bad break-up, they just eat non-stop, like really bad junk food.

You also have what I think is the majority, were people get older, metabolism starts to suck, and their life gets boring and they just eat.

And some people just f*cking love food.

I mentioned that in my post. Sometimes fat parents can make for a fat baby and then that baby becomes a fat kid and so forth rises someday a fat adult to likely repeat the process with another fat adult who actually gets its on with them.

Even then once you reach a certain age you can see for yourself waht needs to be done and find the will power to do so.

Even with a slow metabolism you can work harder than others to make up for it. Its called dealing with it.

The only true excuse to me is whatever gland or thyroid problem as that legit makes it hard to lose and keep weight off. Other than that you CAN make yourself get up and get in shape.

Though i will say i dont mind a girl with some meat on her bones.........
Ninja#117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #76
PacificOcean
Motivational poster.

1.90 m - 64 kg.
Think I landed in the wrong thread.
PACIFIC_OCEAN
PACIFIC OCEA_N
_PACIFIC OCEAN
PacificOcean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #77
StopReadingThis
Mr. Waaayyyyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random3
If we are talking about people who are so disgustingly obese that they can barely walk then I absolutely do not believe that it was due to anything other than being extremely lazy.

Sure you can be large due to genetics, but there is a limit.

I agree.

If a person is morbidly obese, then obviously they're lazy and disgusting. But I know some heavier people who eat well, and workout, and they're still big. Not OBESE, but they've got some flab. Maybe they aren't doing something right, but they're at least TRYING. Hardly what I would call lazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunk
A majority of people aren't fat and because they've accomplished so little in their lives they want to tear down fat people and try to build themselves up with some ****ed up feeling that they actually did something to be thin, when most of even those people don't have to exercise.

I actually kind of agree with this.

But I will always find a way to survive

Last edited by StopReadingThis : 01-30-2013 at 03:47 PM.
StopReadingThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #78
KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
Banned

I just ate two bananas and an apple and I'm about to drink 2l of milk and I'm really excited about the idea of it tbh
KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #79
Burgery
scatterbrain

people that are a bit fat are mostly just lazy cunts (myself)

people that are really fat are more likely to be emotionally damaged or whatevs

or whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrunk

yep

i was raised fat, basically my grandma fed me chocolate all day errday for years when i was very young

and ive stayed fat since

not because i dont exercise enough or eat too much, but because my grandma is a very nice woman

Last edited by Burgery : 01-30-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Burgery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #80
solo_freak
pizza e mandolino

I watch Embarrassing Fat Bodies on TV quite regularly. Some of the stories on there make me sad

Some are really stupid though, like the woman who ate 10 Yorkshire puddings for lunch and dinner and when presented with vegetables she was like "why would someone eat leaves?".

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
solo_freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: