Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
gtgates

Help Rut+problems [new"]

Hello again guys
I have problem with my playing and tone recently .I realized I cant play like me when i play in front of my friends[you know showing licks etc..].. I play like an amatuer in front of my friends . actually I dont know what to play in front of them...

Im using ernie ball coated strings since 3 months they were really good but these days they fell rusty and they sound different[bad].

..and I think because of that Im in a rut again..I cant do legato and stuff its feels less distortion I cant feel the strings...I feel like im getting worse at guitar...I have a mind block or smth like that..

Here is some of my recordings.Please criticize[I love record myself to see my progress.Im selftaught and Im playing guitar since 4 years..I can play melodies in my head.I learn songs with my ear or sometings i dont even need to listen.. if i know the melody of a solo or riff mostly i can play it.]

Thanks

Last edited by gtgates : 04-20-2013 at 04:31 PM.
gtgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Change your strings if they feel bad.

Judging by the demos you can play pretty well technically. Though I didn't really bother to listen to your playing for more than three minutes because it was too much shred. (Nothing wrong with it if that's what you want to do but I'm not sure if people want to listen to it. I mean, people want to hear something more musical.)

Why do you play in front of your friends? Are they guitarists or do they just want to hear you play? If you don't know what to play, play some songs that you like. Maybe jam with your friends if they play some instruments. I feel it's easier to jam with people than just show your skills to people who can't play.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
Hail
kill both bass players

dude guitar strings are like $5 you pussy i have to pay $35 for mine

and wait when i get a 7 string bass

god i hate you
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:22 AM   #4
food1010
Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
dude guitar strings are like $5 you pussy i have to pay $35 for mine

and wait when i get a 7 string bass

god i hate you
That's why I never change my bass strings. Buying bass strings is such a bitch.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:55 AM   #5
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by food1010
That's why I never change my bass strings. Buying bass strings is such a bitch.

yeah you can usually get away with it, but i play pretty intensely so there's contrast/dynamics (and so i can cut-through without needing a pick). i broke my low E on my backup bass the other day with my double-thumb getting a little too friendly

but if i were to join a modern metal band, i'd definitely need a fresh set every month or two to keep that crisp sound up, especially in lower-tuned stuff (which i'd love to do so i'd have an excuse to get a dingwall combustion)

but damn, i may as well just learn to wind my own strings so i don't have to choose between groceries and strings when i'm a starving artist with no future
Old 01-31-2013, 05:05 AM   #6
food1010
Bassist

Yeah I tend to go for the darker tone anyway, so I'm able to deal with old dull strings. It's been years since I've broken a bass string. I broke the G once doing some slap/pop and the low E once playing standard fingerstyle I believe (clearly way too hard).
Old 01-31-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
Hail
kill both bass players

there's no such thing as too hard when you need to cut through the mix since i play chords a lot i need to overcompensate on single note runs or use a lot of compression that kills any chance of dynamics

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4727809787831 lol
Old 01-31-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
gtgates

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
Change your strings if they feel bad.

Judging by the demos you can play pretty well technically. Though I didn't really bother to listen to your playing for more than three minutes because it was too much shred. (Nothing wrong with it if that's what you want to do but I'm not sure if people want to listen to it. I mean, people want to hear something more musical.)

Why do you play in front of your friends? Are they guitarists or do they just want to hear you play? If you don't know what to play, play some songs that you like. Maybe jam with your friends if they play some instruments. I feel it's easier to jam with people than just show your skills to people who can't play.

thanks man.. they want me to play..Or When I try guitar ar guitar shop...tone feels shitty and I canf show myself

and lol strings much more expensive in turkey...
and its hard to find coated strings
thanks for advices

Last edited by gtgates : 01-31-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Yeah - shred is alright in short bursts but most people like a decent melody. So work on that.

Y'ain't got nothing to be embarrassed about in the finger department though.
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
gtgates

how about vibrato guys do i have it?
Old 01-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #11
Hail
kill both bass players

if i tell you yes will you stop doing it before every other note
Old 01-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
gtgates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
if i tell you yes will you stop doing it before every other note

i dunno bro maybe
Old 01-31-2013, 12:15 PM   #13
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgates
thanks man.. they want me to play..Or When I try guitar ar guitar shop...tone feels shitty and I canf show myself

and lol strings much more expensive in turkey...
and its hard to find coated strings
thanks for advices

I sometimes have the same problem when I go to guitar store. But before I go to the store, I decide some songs that I'm going to play and that are pretty easy for me to play (for example Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle). Remember that you don't go to music store to show your skills but try some gear that you might buy. Of course you don't want to embarrass yourself and fail when you play Smoke on the Water.

When you play alone, it doesn't matter if you do stupid mistakes because nobody's there to laugh at you. Maybe choose a song that you want your friends to hear (not just mindless shredding). It could be some more popular song that they know. I think they will be more happy to hear a song that they know than some mindless shredding. So if you know some songs pretty well, maybe play them. You don't need to show all your skills. Yeah, playing in front of friends is pretty much the same as going to music store and trying some amps/guitars, I would play the same things in both situations.

About the string problems: You should always have some money to buy new strings. If you need to change strings frequently, maybe buy a large package of strings. Then you don't need to buy new strings all the time. If you know what strings you are going to use, buy them online if you can't find them anywhere else. And buy more than one set of strings at the time.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Old 01-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #14
gtgates

Quote:
I sometimes have the same problem when I go to guitar store. But before I go to the store, I decide some songs that I'm going to play and that are pretty easy for me to play (for example Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle). Remember that you don't go to music store to show your skills but try some gear that you might buy. Of course you don't want to embarrass yourself and fail when you play Smoke on the Water.

When you play alone, it doesn't matter if you do stupid mistakes because nobody's there to laugh at you. Maybe choose a song that you want your friends to hear (not just mindless shredding). It could be some more popular song that they know. I think they will be more happy to hear a song that they know than some mindless shredding. So if you know some songs pretty well, maybe play them. You don't need to show all your skills. Yeah, playing in front of friends is pretty much the same as going to music store and trying some amps/guitars, I would play the same things in both situations.

About the string problems: You should always have some money to buy new strings. If you need to change strings frequently, maybe buy a large package of strings. Then you don't need to buy new strings all the time. If you know what strings you are going to use, buy them online if you can't find them anywhere else. And buy more than one set of strings at the time.

thanks man..
Old 01-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #15
gtgates

Hello I just made Sweet Child O'Mine's solo cover...I transcribed the solo without listening ...Can you please criticize?

Last edited by gtgates : 06-24-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:13 PM   #16
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Without listening? What do you mean? You transcribed a solo without even listening to the song?

BTW. They are in Eb tuning. Doesn't really matter.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Old 01-31-2013, 07:14 PM   #17
gtgates

Quote:
Without listening? What do you mean? You transcribed a solo without even listening to the song?

BTW. They are in Eb tuning. Doesn't really matter.

lol not like that of course I know the song I just didnt listened it while i was transcribeng it I just learned it with its melody in my head and I played it on Standart Tunning...

Last edited by gtgates : 01-31-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:22 PM   #18
Hail
kill both bass players

congrats now you can play at an 8th grade talent show and not get completely booed off stage
Old 01-31-2013, 07:24 PM   #19
food1010
Bassist

Honestly dude it's hard to tell how it sounds half of the time because your webcam cuts out a lot.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:55 PM   #20
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

I would highly suggest you don't post videos until you have a somewhat decent camera/recorder. It's hard to hear and see what you're doing.

How do you practice?

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: