Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
badwvlf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Is it worth putting money into my 1997 Ampeg 4x12 cabinet

It's the matching cabinet from the Ampeg R50H. particle board. No name speakers. Road worn as hell.

The point of this is, I just ordered an avatar 4x12, I'd like to be able to run 2 412s but I feel like the ampeg isn't going to measure up at all. Is it worth putting a little money into the ampeg? Or should I just keep it for a beater/sell it for money towards another good cab.




Last edited by badwvlf : 01-30-2013 at 01:29 PM.
badwvlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
gregs1020
plays with his peters.
 
gregs1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
is it plywood or partical board?

if it's ply it's probably worth keeping for gigging.

how do you like the R50H?
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
badwvlf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
is it plywood or partical board?

if it's ply it's probably worth keeping for gigging.

how do you like the R50H?


The R50H rules. The clean channel is amazing. I'm not a fan of the gain channel though I know someone who uses it and gets good tone out of it.

I traded a terrible crate solid state for the head + cab, just wanted something he could plug and play, he wasn't gigging anymore, wanted something quiet, so he traded across for it. Plus it was "broken" when I got it. All it needed was a little soldering in the cabinet.

It's particle board. I mean this is all speculation, if I get my new cab here and I hook them both up and it sounds good, i'll use both. If not, ill get another cab later down the line when I get another head.

Last edited by badwvlf : 01-30-2013 at 01:59 PM.
badwvlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
gregs1020
plays with his peters.
 
gregs1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by badwvlf
The R50H rules. The clean channel is amazing. I'm not a fan of the gain channel though I know someone who uses it and gets good tone out of it.

I traded a terrible crate solid state for the head + cab, just wanted something he could plug and play, he wasn't gigging anymore, wanted something quiet, so he traded across for it. Plus it was "broken" when I got it. All it needed was a little soldering in the cabinet.

It's particle board. I mean this is all speculation, if I get my new cab here and I hook them both up and it sounds good, i'll use both. If not, ill get another cab later down the line when I get another head.

you made a good trade. i agree on the cleans on the R50H, i have one as well. i do like the gain channel for 80s hair metal with a od in front of it. i get my ratt on from time to time. and it works pretty well for that with my cab.

if it's particle board then yea, see how it sounds and go from there. some of the ampeg speakers i've had have been pretty good but i doubt i've had those.

gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
badwvlf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
you made a good trade. i agree on the cleans on the R50H, i have one as well. i do like the gain channel for 80s hair metal with a od in front of it. i get my ratt on from time to time. and it works pretty well for that with my cab.

if it's particle board then yea, see how it sounds and go from there. some of the ampeg speakers i've had have been pretty good but i doubt i've had those.



I feel like it's a pretty underrated amplifier. The clean channel cranked up has really "cute" distortion. It's great for my pop punk band. And then I just throw a bunch of effects through it to make it heavy (and also ABY to a bass amp).

Last edited by badwvlf : 01-30-2013 at 03:57 PM.
badwvlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
ibanezguitars44
Registered User
 
ibanezguitars44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Louisiana
Is the head just a reverberocket in head form? I just bought a reverberocket and I love it! If I were you I'd keep the cabinet just because it looks so awesome haha. I'd love to find a cheap one to pair with my combo.
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.


╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
ibanezguitars44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
badwvlf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezguitars44
Is the head just a reverberocket in head form? I just bought a reverberocket and I love it! If I were you I'd keep the cabinet just because it looks so awesome haha. I'd love to find a cheap one to pair with my combo.


my new cab is way prettier.

I'm not 100% sure but, I think the R50H is basically a reissue/reinvention of the old 60s reverbrocket in head form made in the mid-late 90s. Apparently ampeg remade the old R12R but its like $5000 and they only made a few.

I actually want to take the tolex off the head, whats under there?
badwvlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
ibanezguitars44
Registered User
 
ibanezguitars44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Louisiana
I don't know haha. I guess wood? My reverberocket is from 1998 so I'm guessing our amps probably sound very similar.
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.


╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
ibanezguitars44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
gregs1020
plays with his peters.
 
gregs1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by badwvlf
I actually want to take the tolex off the head, whats under there?

you want to remove the greatest tolex ever?

gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
badwvlf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezguitars44
I don't know haha. I guess wood? My reverberocket is from 1998 so I'm guessing our amps probably sound very similar.


I want to know how pretty the wood is I would prefer for it to be just stained wood and naked, but if its ugly particle board, no thanks

I'm dumb, I care about looks. It's not gonna match my avatar at all.
badwvlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:17 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.