Violets are blue 47 53.41%
TS is a knob 73 82.95%
And so are you 37 42.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
ali.guitarkid7
a real man

Does music have any meaning?

So I've been interested in this topic for a while, thought I'd come in here.

I've always been of the opinion that music is a meaningless artform, it is purely abstract. It only has the potential to express mood and tone, but not image, idea or theme (unless by "theme" we mean a specific melody, but I mean it in the literary sense). If you showed 10 different people a nameless, lyric-less piece of music, they're likely not to end up with the same interpretation at all, or the same image etc. However, show them a piece of prose, and they will all more or less derive the same meaning (unless the text intends not to do that, but we're talking about ability).

So, do you agree?

Do you think music can have meaning?

look at you scared now hoe
ali.guitarkid7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

No.

OT: There are certain ideas that will evoke similar, if not identical, emotions and reactions from most people. High, drawn out screechy violins tend to have the same effect on people no matter what.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort

Last edited by rockingamer2 : 01-30-2013 at 08:42 PM.
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
Bob_Sacamano
dog_foxymano

Nooooo

Thinking about this too hard has temporarily killed it for me a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripple07
Who here thinks that theres too many nerds here nowadays. Some day a real rain will come, and clean these streets...
Bob_Sacamano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
Wolfinator-x
Teeth

That's most to all art for you, dude.
Stray Cats, Gustav Holst

Mah Youtube vids.
if you truly loved me, you'd watch them (psst; it's not just glam stuff)

Mah Soundcloud
Wolfinator-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
genghisgandhi
RIP DJ Screw

THAT POLL!!!!!

One lolstack por tu, good sir!!
genghisgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
blake1221
‭‭

I don't know. There are some crafty post rockers and ambient musicians that can construct bitchin' soundscapes and textures with their music alone. Sure, it's still up to interpretation, but a lot of people derive the same emotions from the music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghisgandhi
THAT POLL!!!!!

One lolstack por tu, good sir!!

THE OLD PIT IS BACK HAHAHAHA

Last edited by blake1221 : 01-30-2013 at 08:46 PM.
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
ali.guitarkid7
a real man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinator-x
That's most to all art for you, dude.

I don't know. I mean, you could paint the image of something as plain as a tractor. You could write a paragraph describing a room. You could take a picture of a car. These all evoke a direct image, but in the end a melody cannot do this. I find this odd, because it's the only form of art I can think of that is extremely popular but also (imo) totally abstract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
I don't know. There are some crafty post rockers and ambient musicians that can construct bitchin' soundscapes and textures with their music alone. Sure, it's still up to interpretation, but a lot of people derive the same emotions from the music.

Well, that's what I meant by mood. That's pretty much all you can express with abstract art.

Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 : 01-30-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Of course music can have meaning. Humans naturally associate certain sound patterns, tempos and chords with specific emotions. It's no different in conception to the fact that certain linguistic ideas and rhythms (especially in poetry) illicit a similar response from all people. A quatrain or couplet feels complete to almost everyone, regardless of content, whereas a tercet feels incomplete or extended. We just naturally have rhythms and rolls of sound that we find pleasing.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #9
CALL_OF_TABLE
Banned

art is about the meanings you give to it and the feelings associated with them. also the artist might have a certain intention or no intention at all.
CALL_OF_TABLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #10
Musicforyou17
I get bored

I disagree with you ts.

The composer might (or might not) have written a song with specific feelings or experiences in mind. Even if there is no clear meaning it still means something to someone.

Also music leaves a lot of room for self interpretation in most cases so eh maybe I agree with you.

Edit: I think I misunderstood what your saying so just ignore this.

Last edited by Musicforyou17 : 01-30-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Musicforyou17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
whywefight
I need loooooooo-

The meaningfulness of music is greater or equal to the meaningfulness of this thread
whywefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #12
ali.guitarkid7
a real man

Guys, I misspoke. I meant to call it abstract, not meaningless. When I say "meaningless" I mean it cannot express an idea or an image on purpose. As in, if I listen to something and imagine the apocalypse, that might not be what the artist intended I imagine at all (and IMO it doesn't count unless it's on purpose, that's the whole point of expressing meaning).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hart
Of course music can have meaning. Humans naturally associate certain sound patterns, tempos and chords with specific emotions. It's no different in conception to the fact that certain linguistic ideas and rhythms (especially in poetry) illicit a similar response from all people. A quatrain or couplet feels complete to almost everyone, regardless of content, whereas a tercet feels incomplete or extended. We just naturally have rhythms and rolls of sound that we find pleasing.

Really? Is "fear in a handful of dust" the same method of expression as a chord progression?

I might be wording my posts wrong, sorry.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #13
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali.guitarkid7
Really? Is "fear in a handful of dust" the same method of expression as a chord progression?

I might be wording my posts wrong, sorry.

Not entirely, but poetry is much more than just the words.

T.S. Eliot, btw, was very much a student of musicality and music within poetry.

Music is not a 'realist' art form, unless you take what we oddly consider to be very abstract music such as soundbites and remixes of soundbites, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have inherent meaning.

Last edited by Todd Hart : 01-30-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Todd Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #14
Wolfinator-x
Teeth

Quote:
I don't know. I mean, you could paint the image of something as plain as a tractor. You could write a paragraph describing a room. You could take a picture of a car. These all evoke a direct image, but in the end a melody cannot do this. I find this odd, because it's the only form of art I can think of that is extremely popular but also (imo) totally abstract.
Well a sad melody will make you sad, and a happy melody will make you happy.

and Barry White will make you horny
Stray Cats, Gustav Holst

Mah Youtube vids.
if you truly loved me, you'd watch them (psst; it's not just glam stuff)

Mah Soundcloud
Wolfinator-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #15
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Just came to say, TS is a knob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicforyou17
I disagree with your tits.

RotMG avatar ftw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #16
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser

Just because it is abstract does not mean it doesn't have meaning. I consider the pinnacle beauty of music to be the fact that it does convey meaningful abstractions. The classic adage holds true: where words fail, music speaks.

I think what you're referring to is programmatic or verbal expression. In that sense, music is meaningless. But that is precisely why it is so great. It's so much more universal and absolute than any earthly concept.
I want to recognise your beauty's not just a mask
I want to exorcise the demons from your past
I want to satisfy the undisclosed desires in your heart

Last edited by Xiaoxi : 01-30-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #17
ali.guitarkid7
a real man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hart
Not entirely, but poetry is much more than just the words.

T.S. Eliot, btw, was very much a student of musicality and music within poetry.

Music is not a 'realist' art form, unless you take what we oddly consider to be very abstract music such as soundbites and remixes of soundbites, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have inherent meaning.

Yeah, but rhythm and line breaks in a poem work in a totally different way.

Let me try and put this in different terms: You can adapt a poem (one with a narrative or even an image) into film, prose or even a book. You can adapt a film into a book, vice versa, etc. But you can't adapt music into into anything, you can only use it to help set the tone. I'm not saying this to devalue music or anything, quite the opposite: it's such a distinct artform in this manner.

By the way, I'm not using narrative as the only "meaningful" art. Like I said, it could be anything such as an idea, like death, or an image.

^ I don't disagree with anything in that post. I'm really just using the word "meaningless" wrong. Like I said, I'm not trying to put down music, I obviously love music. But a lot of the time I hear someone say "what does this song mean?" and I think, ****ing nothing. It's a song. It's the most purely subjective form of art there is. It can't be assigned any tangible meaning, only mood, and even that can be up for debate. It's almost ironic that music gets confused with poetry a lot, considering nowadays how much music has lyrics in it.

Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 : 01-30-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #18
Joshua Garcia
Oops

Ehh I don't care. I just wanna listen to it. Also, I only voted for violets are blue.
Someone is wrong on the internet....

I have to take care of this.
Joshua Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:20 AM   #19
AcidParadox

I sort of disagree and agree at the same time. Music can evoke a certain mood, and it can also evoke a scene in your head, using sounds that correlate with what you interpret that scene to entail.

A song could be an instrumental, play a bitchin' guitar solo, and in the background there is the sound of a car driving away. Wouldn't that cause a certain image to form in your mind? And depending on the context of the song, the emotions it provokes, the cause of that scene would have certain room for interpretation.

I may be talking out of my ass here, I dunno. All I'm saying is that sounds can cause images, and emotion evoked by that sound can warp those images. Music is just structured sound, and really some genres are built upon eradicating that definition.
AcidParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:23 AM   #20
necrosis1193
Autonomatonomonapoton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
Just because it is abstract does not mean it doesn't have meaning. I consider the pinnacle beauty of music to be the fact that it does convey meaningful abstractions. The classic adage holds true: where words fail, music speaks.

I think what you're referring to is programmatic or verbal expression. In that sense, music is meaningless. But that is precisely why it is so great. It's so much more universal and absolute than any earthly concept.

You know, while I respect your knowledge of music theory and compositional skills, I usually find your opinions about things of this nature arrogant and annoying.

But I pretty much agree with what you typed up here.

Edit:

Quote:
But a lot of the time I hear someone say "what does this song mean?" and I think, ****ing nothing. It's a song. It's the most purely subjective form of art there is. It can't be assigned any tangible meaning, only mood, and even that can be up for debate.

If an artist says "I wrote this song because X", I think that's a pretty good explanation of its definition. It's not supposed to be easy to form a universal definition for.

Baltimore Orioles: 96-66, 2014 AL Eastern division champions
York Capitals: 5-3
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 world champions, 2014: 5-3
2014 Pick 'Em: 78-42-1

Last edited by necrosis1193 : 01-31-2013 at 01:25 AM.
necrosis1193 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: