Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
rabbittroopsux

i need an ear trainer that establishes a key or root then

plays a single tone that u guess what tone it is. then continues to play notes, not intervals, that you guess its tone. like if the root is established as C, and any B note was played, youd guess major 7 (id say leading tone but as far as i know those terms dont apply to all 12 tones).

ty
Old 01-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
rabbittroopsux

id prefer something that is online and doesnt require the downloading of other programs.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:05 AM   #4
Angusman60
I think, therefore, I am.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
Angusman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:09 AM   #5
Angusman60
I think, therefore, I am.

This one might work, too.

http://teoria.com/exercises/ne.php

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
Angusman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:07 AM   #6
rabbittroopsux

i dont believe teoria has what im looking for. like i said im not looking for an interval test, i want a test that plays a note alone after establishing a key. like it plays a melody or chord progression in A minor then plays a random note, and you guess what the note is.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:14 AM   #7
food1010
Bassist

Why don't you just transcribe music? You can do it one note at a time if you want. That's essentially what you're trying to do, and it will be way more practical.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:26 AM   #8
cdgraves

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbittroopsux
i dont believe teoria has what im looking for. like i said im not looking for an interval test, i want a test that plays a note alone after establishing a key. like it plays a melody or chord progression in A minor then plays a random note, and you guess what the note is.

good-ear.com ("Note Location" exercise"

http://teoria.com/exercises/index.php

Teoria has dictations, which are a much better workout than just locating a note within a key. If you can identify identify intervals up to the 5th, you should do dictations.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
HotspurJr

Quote:
id prefer something that is online and doesnt require the downloading of other programs.

Understandably.

That being said, the miles.be program is totally safe. Been using it for a year. The other program you can to download is from adobe. There's no risk there.

Although it does mean you can't use it on just any computer, has to be one you can do that with.

It's a really well-designed program. Worth the minor inconvenience.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
rabbittroopsux

tx, i appreciate the vouching for the miles program. i downloaded it. it looks like it does the job.

any ideas of things to do to get better at it than doing the test itself?

Last edited by rabbittroopsux : 01-31-2013 at 11:30 PM.
rabbittroopsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:34 PM   #11
HotspurJr

Quote:
any ideas of things to do to get better at it than doing the test itself?

Sing. Practice singing scales. Sing with your instrument, then sing without it, up and down, checking yourself periodically.

This sort of ear training, in my experience consists of a lot of "wow, it doesn't feel like I'm making any progress" followed by, one day, "holy cow, this is easy!" So when they tell you that it's really important to do it often, they mean it. 5-10 minutes a day, every day that you can. Accept that it's a slow process.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:42 PM   #12
macashmack
Spongethug Moneypants

Sing solfegge. It's the only way and if you do another way then your a prison bitch. And not the fun type.

Rate This Thread: