Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
Toasterpossum

Guitar vs. Bass?

Hey everyone, I'm kind of a newbie to this site. I'm 13 and have played ukulele for about a year (Just Blink-182, Green Day, Sum 41 stuff) and I want to try either a bass or guitar. Since the ukulele has four strings, would a bass be better for me? Or should I get a guitar, because I like to play leads for punk songs?

I'm getting a Fender for either bass or guitar.

Thanks, guys!
Toasterpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Neither would be better or worse coming from ukulele. There is more volume of gear and better prices on gear in the guitar world, however, everybody and their mother plays guitar.

Bass is a bit more expensive and tight in the gear world, however, everybody and their mother needs a bassist. Plus, all the bassists I know like better music than the guitarists I know.

MEPHAROOSTER
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
terribleguitar
Really terrible guitarist

Not sure if serious...
terribleguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
Geldin

Get a bass. Play with the EQ until you can hit a natural harmonic on your E string that causes intense orgasms to everyone within the vicinity. Join a funk band. Dominate the universe.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
Robbgnarly

the only instrument that is similar to the ukelele is the Mandolin. Yes the bass has 4 strings but they are tuned in a diffrent way than the uke is.

justRooster hit it on the head, everyone plays guitar. There are very few bass players out there
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
Toasterpossum

Quote:
Originally Posted by terribleguitar
Not sure if serious...

Yeah dude. I'm serious.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
Toasterpossum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geldin
Get a bass. Play with the EQ until you can hit a natural harmonic on your E string that causes intense orgasms to everyone within the vicinity. Join a funk band. Dominate the universe.

I usually get annoyed by joke responses, but that was pretty funny.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
Toasterpossum

Oh my goodness, thank you. That was one of the only serious responses I've gotten today. A friend of mine is starting a band, and he wants me to join once I've made my decision. I go to a really small school, and we've got two bass players and three guitar players, including him.
There's a girl who plays epic rhythm guitar, a dude who plays metal/punk drums, one of the bassists, then him, who plays lead guitar. Since there's already a bassist, I'm having trouble choosing.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #9
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasterpossum
I usually get annoyed by joke responses, but that was pretty funny.

He's serious.

And bass gear isn't really expensive. You can get a $200 Squier and a $500 Ampeg amp and be fine. Squier basses seem to be better quality than their guitars.

But really, do what you want to do. Punk bass is really fun, imo. You can really just rock out and be loud and crazy.
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Ibanez RGA121NTF
Ibanez RG1570
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485 "Kimmy"
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
will42
UG's bassoon-master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
the only instrument that is similar to the ukelele is the Mandolin. Yes the bass has 4 strings but they are tuned in a diffrent way than the uke is.

Ukulele isn't actually similar to mandolin at all. Mandolin is tuned the same way as a violin. Only ukuleles are tuned like a ukulele.

TS, play whichever one you like better. If you think you would rather play guitar, play guitar. If you would rather play bass, play bass. You can always pic the other up at a different point in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
will42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
JimmyCraig
Dazed and Confounded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasterpossum
Oh my goodness, thank you. That was one of the only serious responses I've gotten today. A friend of mine is starting a band, and he wants me to join once I've made my decision. I go to a really small school, and we've got two bass players and three guitar players, including him.
There's a girl who plays epic rhythm guitar, a dude who plays metal/punk drums, one of the bassists, then him, who plays lead guitar. Since there's already a bassist, I'm having trouble choosing.

You're not going to be in that school forever, don't make a decision based on your current circumstances, make it based on what direction you want to take in your life with music. Also, choose bass. I love bass. But if you want to be an egotistical person taking all the credit and thinks he's the best, choose guitar. Or don't listen to me, I'm just text.
JimmyCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #12
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

People always want Bass players, you'd be in demand and as long as you practice you'll have the pick of the best bands in your area.

That being said, I do think that the guitar is a preferential instrument with a greater ability for you to express yourself, but then again, some people find different instruments easier than others.

As Rooster said, everyone plays guitar, but - hardly anyone plays it well. The vast, huge massive majority know how to play Wonderwall and a few other strumming songs, then you have a minority who do take it a bit more seriously and a lot of them don't play clean, don't learn theory, don't practice what they should, get stuck in ruts and familiar patterns and never ever have anyone to guide them and point our their mistakes.

The remaining minority are those who do try and correct mistakes, learn constantly, study guitarists, apply theory etc.

At your age you have a good opportunity to take the right steps and by the time you're old enough to start forming proper bands you'll be good and ready to start tearing it up!

If you do take up guitar stick at it, find a good teacher and profit!

You could learn both then whatever one you like the most you'll dedicate more time to. I'd say try them both if you're really undecided but if there's one clear preference just see how you get on with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 01-27-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #13
Bhaok
The evil old man

Find an inexpensive electric 6 string and bass. For the amp get a Yamaha THR10 which is a low volume guitar and bass amp that has tone that will put alot of full size amps to shame. Or just flip a coin and let George guide you down the musical path. What ever you decide rock on.

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Bhaok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #14
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaok
Find an inexpensive electric 6 string and bass. For the amp get a Yamaha THR10 which is a low volume guitar and bass amp that has tone that will put alot of full size amps to shame. Or just flip a coin and let George guide you down the musical path. What ever you decide rock on.

A 6 string bass for a kid who doesn't even know what he wants????? Uhm.
Ibanez RGA121NTF
Ibanez RG1570
Ibanez SR485 "Kimmy"
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
Old 01-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #15
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeleopard
A 6 string bass for a kid who doesn't even know what he wants????? Uhm.

I think you should reread the post you quoted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #16
Toasterpossum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaok

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind! That seems like the best of both worlds.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #17
Toasterpossum

He's a she, so take that! Lol, just kidding around.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #18
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
I think you should reread the post you quoted.

Ah. Missed the "and".
Ibanez RGA121NTF
Ibanez RG1570
Ibanez SR485 "Kimmy"
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
Old 01-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #19
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Just throwing this out there, the new Peavey Vypyr II is a guitar and bass amp. Not sure what the price point will be, but should be pretty cheap.

With that in mind + to getting both. If you're in the US, Rondo Music is your friend. Some decent quality stuff for $100-150 a piece. Douglas in particular I can vouch for, not sure how SX compares.

I'd also like to add that guitar and bass are about the same costs... I mean, it's virtually exactly the same. Combos, amps and heads, guitars. There's good and crap for both instruments.

I mean... if anything, you can get away with a lot more, and use a lot less gear with bass.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 Pod HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Last edited by Offworld92 : 01-27-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #20
Bhaok
The evil old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Just throwing this out there, the new Peavey Vypyr II is a guitar and bass amp. Not sure what the price point will be, but should be pretty cheap.

With that in mind + to getting both. If you're in the US, Rondo Music is your friend. Some decent quality stuff for $100-150 a piece. Douglas in particular I can vouch for, not sure how SX compares.

I'd also like to add that guitar and bass are about the same costs... I mean, it's virtually exactly the same. Combos, amps and heads, guitars. There's good and crap for both instruments.

I mean... if anything, you can get away with a lot more, and use a lot less gear with bass.

I have seen some of the vids from NAMM on the new Peavey amps they do look interesting. But, I own a THR10 and if you do not need brain spattering volume it is one of the best new toys to come down the pipeline in years.

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Bhaok is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: