User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
Neo Evil11
Banned

Changing your career plans

So biatches,

how are they hanging? Did you ever change your career plans in the last minute?

I am applying for this university in Frankfurt and now I get 2 mails from my thesissupervisor and the coordinator of my current MSc that I shouldn't do that, but go to a top-university instead, because apparently my grades are great (lol sounds funny). Problem is that those applications are closed (they are too late with their "helpful" advice). And now they will try to get me full funding for the MPhil here, which is rated a bit below the london school of economics, but still rated very highly.
My other professor, however, says I should wait a year and then apply for the best universities in the world because it will pay itself back.

I really don't know what to do and need your help Pit.

Also please share your stories about having to change your plans in the last minute.
Neo Evil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
JackWhiteIsButts
Hard Boyled

Take a year off and then apply.

JackWhiteIsButts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
Neo Evil11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhiteIsButts

I don't think I am mentally able to take a year off.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
ChucklesMginty
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Evil11
I don't think I am mentally able to take a year off.

Yeah, this is the 2nd time I've had to do that and I wouldn't recommend it.
ChucklesMginty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
Avedas
yoloswag420

After hearing so many grad student horror stories I am very skeptical when I hear "it will pay itself back".
Avedas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
Weaponized

last.fm
Weaponized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
solo_freak
pizza e mandolino

Is there any way you could get a placement anywhere for a year? Even if it's not paid it will still be useful and you won't feel like you wasted a year.

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
solo_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
Neo Evil11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avedas
After hearing so many grad student horror stories I am very skeptical when I hear "it will pay itself back".

I will be doing a PhD afterwards, and then get a research position at a university. My other option is to do their MPhil here and then hope that I can get a Phd there.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
Neo Evil11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo_freak
Is there any way you could get a placement anywhere for a year? Even if it's not paid it will still be useful and you won't feel like you wasted a year.

What do you mean with "placement" exactly? I am sure I could find some job. It's not probable that this will be something I really like though.

I'm sorry if I sound like a spoiled brat, but unfortunately I am that.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
solo_freak
pizza e mandolino

Quote:
What do you mean with "placement" exactly? I am sure I could find some job. It's not probable that this will be something I really like though.

I'm sorry if I sound like a spoiled brat, but unfortunately I am that.

An internship at a company/firm relating to what you are doing, not just any job. That way you could add to your CV as well.

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
solo_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #11
Neo Evil11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo_freak
An internship at a company/firm relating to what you are doing, not just any job. That way you could add to your CV as well.

I'm sure my father could get me an internship at Exxon Mobile (he's offered it multiple times). Maybe that I will look into some banking stuff.

But so no one is in favor of doing the MPhil at the Tinbergen institute? Says enough about the Dutch quality of schooling to be honest.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
Avedas
yoloswag420

Quote:
I will be doing a PhD afterwards, and then get a research position at a university. My other option is to do their MPhil here and then hope that I can get a Phd there.
I suppose if you plan to stay in academia it shouldn't be an issue.
Avedas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
Neo Evil11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avedas
I suppose if you plan to stay in academia it shouldn't be an issue.

The gigantic debt may be an issue though. I have no idea how other people do it, or how fast I have to pay it back.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #14
Joshua Garcia

No, but I probably should.
Been applying for a Medical Billing & Coder position since April of 2011 and still don't have a job. Been denied soo many times because of lack of experience. Which comes from being denied soo many times. Quite the ironic circle actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea55
How bout you and your weebo ass go away?
Joshua Garcia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #15
Neo Evil11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Garcia
No, but I probably should.
Been applying for a Medical Billing & Coder position since April of 2011 and still don't have a job. Been denied soo many times because of lack of experience. Which comes from being denied soo many times. Quite the ironic circle actually.

Is it a classic case of a catch 22?

Now I am wondering though, are your grades fine? Because I hear a lot that grades don't matter for getting accepted in a job. Which means I am ****ed too if that's the case.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #16
Joshua Garcia

Quote:
Is it a classic case of a catch 22?

Now I am wondering though, are your grades fine? Because I hear a lot that grades don't matter for getting accepted in a job. Which means I am ****ed too if that's the case.

No, my grades were fine. It's just the lack of experience. Recently, I went to a sort of job fair for this one company, spent about 30 minutes, then got denied because the standard for all applicants is a 2 year experience.

So far, I've gotten a month externship experience, and a license for passing an nationally certified test to make my resume look better. It was completely optional, but I took it. It's gotta get me somewhere eventually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea55
How bout you and your weebo ass go away?
Joshua Garcia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #17
captainsnazz
sounds

I was talking to a knowledgeable dude who has supervised like 50 PhDs last week, because I was trying to figure out whether I really need a master's to get on a PhD. You don't in England but do in France and some other places you see, but I don't want to do my PhD in England.
But the answer I got was that masters' courses are supposed to teach you a specific skill set that you'll need either for a career in industry or research, that you simply wouldn't get from your bachelor's.
So it's more about the skills you get, not where you get them. I'd do the master's at the not-as-fantastic place and do your PhD at a more fantastic place. That's my plan at the moment anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmyisgod97
If they didn't want to be objectified they shouldn't have been little sluts.

Ego Sig
captainsnazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #18
Neo Evil11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsnazz
I was talking to a knowledgeable dude who has supervised like 50 PhDs last week, because I was trying to figure out whether I really need a master's to get on a PhD. You don't in England but do in France and some other places you see, but I don't want to do my PhD in England.
But the answer I got was that masters' courses are supposed to teach you a specific skill set that you'll need either for a career in industry or research, that you simply wouldn't get from your bachelor's.
So it's more about the skills you get, not where you get them. I'd do the master's at the not-as-fantastic place and do your PhD at a more fantastic place. That's my plan at the moment anyway.

I will have an MSc by then, but I have been told that I either need a two year's degree or a research master's degree before I can get a PhD.

Mind you, Bachelor degrees here are only 3 years. I may have heard it wrong, but I thought they were 4 years in England.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #19
captainsnazz
sounds

Quote:
I will have an MSc by then, but I have been told that I either need a two year's degree or a research master's degree before I can get a PhD.

Mind you, Bachelor degrees here are only 3 years. I may have heard it wrong, but I thought they were 4 years in England.

Ah yeah sorry I misread something in your original post. Who told you that? Sounds pretty strict, especially considering that you have good grades. Have you actually applied for any PhDs, or at least talked to any supervisors?

Bachelors are mostly 3 years in England, although mine is technically 4 because I'm on placement at the moment. I've heard of longer ones though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmyisgod97
If they didn't want to be objectified they shouldn't have been little sluts.

Ego Sig
captainsnazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #20
Neo Evil11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsnazz
Ah yeah sorry I misread something in your original post. Who told you that? Sounds pretty strict, especially considering that you have good grades. Have you actually applied for any PhDs, or at least talked to any supervisors?

Bachelors are mostly 3 years in England, although mine is technically 4 because I'm on placement at the moment. I've heard of longer ones though.

The coordinator and a teacher from my MSc told me. The first is the same guy that now wants me to either go to London, America or take their MPhil. I think they know what they are talking about though, as they are part of the Tinbergen institute themselves.

My thesissupervisor says I could get into some PhD programs, but not one at a great university (+ he looked and the applications were closed at those universities he tought off lol).

Last edited by Neo Evil11 : 01-28-2013 at 07:33 PM.

Rate This Thread: