Yes, I would. 16 28.07%
No, I wouldn't. 41 71.93%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2013, 09:55 AM   #21
Thrashtastic15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphikh
Want to answer the question? Ad hominem much bro? Want me to tip-toe on eggshells for you next time I make a thread? lol.

No, I want your thread to outline what you want discuss. If you can't even handle that I really doubt any significant discourse with you would be worth my time. Have a nice day.
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #22
Zaphikh
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhiteIsButts
If you read the OP you would know that you have contributed no thoughts as well, so I've put forth exactly as much effort in my response as you have in making this thread.

So what? Person A says a lot without saying anything. Points to Person B for doing the same. Therefore, Person A is without fault.

Asinine.
gnoight ug
Zaphikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #23
Zaphikh
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macabre_Turtle
I'm married, and this is stupid. That will be all.

Would you be alright with the idea of anybody marrying anybody else they want (withing legal age limits) ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
No, I want your thread to outline what you want discuss. If you can't even handle that I really doubt any significant discourse with you would be worth my time. Have a nice day.

You probably just dislike me personally and take it out through forum media. Nothing new. See ya.
gnoight ug

Last edited by Zaphikh : 01-31-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:02 AM   #24
Sharp_as_steel
Ug's #1 beer drinker

Zaphikh, I think you need to calm down. From the tone in your posts, and the sheer speed in which you post them, I think you may hace taken amphetamines....

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.
Sharp_as_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #25
Zaphikh
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp_as_steel
Zaphikh, I think you need to calm down. From the tone in your posts, and the sheer speed in which you post them, I think you may hace taken amphetamines....

I'm drinking tea, reading the news, and responding at typical conversation speed. It's how I function. It's not difficult to type and reply without spending 20 minutes on the matter.
gnoight ug
Old 01-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #26
Thrashtastic15
Banned

Quote:
You probably just dislike me personally and take it out through forum media. Nothing new. See ya.

I don't know you personally? Your thread sucked and I told you it sucked. You want me to discuss marriage but you aren't even able to make a coherent message to show me what you actually want to discuss about the topic. It's like you are in a house of mirrors because you're all over the place bro.
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:09 AM   #27
Zaphikh
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
I don't know you personally? Your thread sucked and I told you it sucked. You want me to discuss marriage but you aren't even able to make a coherent message to show me what you actually want to discuss about the topic. It's like you are in a house of mirrors because you're all over the place bro.

Have a nice day bro.
gnoight ug
Old 01-31-2013, 10:09 AM   #28
Sharp_as_steel
Ug's #1 beer drinker

Yea I'm abandoning this thread. It's turned into a slugginmatch..

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.
Sharp_as_steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #29
StewieSwan
Play my dudelsack

The meaning of the OP is perfectly clear. Y'all niggaz is just dumb

OT: No, I wouldn't

Original Wood&Strings Song
StewieSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #30
Powersurge213

Woah there is a lot of shit going down here...

In answer to the question- Yes I would, it provides, if nothing else, a public and official declaration of the relationship.
If you go along the lines you proposed then countries again could just go- Hey this is pretty cool, lets be a country...but lets not make it official ;P
Does that make sense?

We need a sense of 'officiality' these days, otherwise shit seems to go down....

But TS, what is your opinion, without using someone elses words?
Powersurge213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #31
Bad Kharmel

The question doesn't work, marriage seems to be at some level a psychological imperative, humans as a species mate for life, and the name we've given that concept is marriage, which is why the same idea has risen in cultures that grew up separate from each other
Bad Kharmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #32
WCPhils
^^vv<><>BAStart

wow, this thread is stupid

Check out my...

YouTube
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #33
Zaphikh
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powersurge213
Woah there is a lot of shit going down here...

In answer to the question- Yes I would, it provides, if nothing else, a public and official declaration of the relationship.
If you go along the lines you proposed then countries again could just go- Hey this is pretty cool, lets be a country...but lets not make it official ;P
Does that make sense?

Lines in the sand, man.

Quote:
We need a sense of 'officiality' these days, otherwise shit seems to go down....

From who?

Quote:
But TS, what is your opinion, without using someone elses words?

I'm not an anti-marriage type of guy. I want to get married myself one day - because it most certainly exists. But in all honesty I've found that couples who are married, by and large, are very dissatisfied. If marriage had not existed, I'd make no push to have it become an official event. A piece of paper proves nothing about the seriousness of a relationship.

I'm fortunate enough to live in a time and place on the Earth where some people just live together without government documents. Happy couples and families that just don't really worry about it. They see it as a hassle and a game for divorce lawyers. Having met those people and families, it really left an impression on me: it's just a social club for folks to get tax benefits. It can be sugar-coated with very serious overtones and other moral dilemmas, but at the end of the day that's all it really is.

Folks rush into things too quickly, or are pressured by religious institutions to do this or that in sequence otherwise eternal punishment awaits you (the lowest form of morality: fear-driven).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Kharmel
The question doesn't work, marriage seems to be at some level a psychological imperative, humans as a species mate for life, and the name we've given that concept is marriage, which is why the same idea has risen in cultures that grew up separate from each other

Woah now... what about polyamory and polygamy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhils
wow, this thread is stupid

Nobody likes you and your mother dresses you funny.
gnoight ug

Last edited by Zaphikh : 01-31-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #34
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

You're coming at this from the wrong angle. Marriage existed before government got into the mix, and it would still exist if the government stopped providing legal benefits to married couples. What I mean is, for many married couples, they were NOT getting married because of the legal bullshit; they married because they loved (and still love) each other.
No one goes, "I want to get married to this man/woman, because then we can get tax breaks". No, they go, "I want to marry this man/woman, because I love him/her".

Frankly, imho, the government should NOT even be involved in the concept of marriage. We need to set all the legal bullshit aside and just let it be about a couple who want to spend the rest of their life together and love each other, etc.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 01-31-2013 at 12:46 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:45 PM   #35
Zaphikh
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
You're coming at this from the wrong angle. Marriage existed before government got into the mix, and it would still exist if the government stopped providing legal benefits to married couples.

Sure. I won't deny any of that, but when you look at it from afar, it seems like an unnecessary bother to lay claim to something that comes and goes. Sometimes two folks will stay together until their biological death, other times not so much.
gnoight ug
Old 01-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #36
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Well, frankly, I see an issue with couples who just set it aside. Maybe a couple shouldn't get married, if they're not willing to do everything possible to ensure that they continue to love each other until their biological death.
I know that's not really something people want to hear, but why bother getting married, if you're not committed? What's the point of "We'll be married as long as we love each other, and then we'll get a divorce when that feeling ends"? It just causes heartache and pain and more legal bullshit.

Edit:
And I'm sure some well-meaning person is going to try to take me to task for what I said. But, fact is, what's the point of marriage if it's just "We live together as long as we feel good about each other"?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 01-31-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:58 PM   #37
Zaphikh
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Well, frankly, I see an issue with couples who just set it aside. Maybe a couple shouldn't get married, if they're not willing to do everything possible to ensure that they continue to love each other until their biological death.
I know that's not really something people want to hear, but why bother getting married, if you're not committed? What's the point of "We'll be married as long as we love each other, and then we'll get a divorce when that feeling ends"? It just causes heartache and pain and more legal bullshit.

Edit:
And I'm sure some well-meaning person is going to try to take me to task for what I said. But, fact is, what's the point of marriage if it's just "We live together as long as we feel good about each other"?

Well, as ideal as that sounds, you can never really know another person 100%. The dynamic is exponential as time goes by because people change with every passing day (except for maybe birthers and folks that watch Nascar). Sometimes a person will become a bitter psychopath without warning and causes life to be hell for anybody near them. Why should their partner have to deal with that and put themselves in harms way for the rest of their lives? I won't say this is the majority of cases by any means, but the idea of planting a flag and saying it will last forever, while seemingly noble, is a bit of a stretch. Shit happens.
gnoight ug
Old 01-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #38
CrAzY-RiLeY
not french

why marriage?

to make"love"and polygamy a social commitment.

or am i just crazy?
CrAzY-RiLeY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #39
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Well, as ideal as that sounds, you can never really know another person 100%. The dynamic is exponential as time goes by because people change with every passing day (except for maybe birthers and folks that watch Nascar). Sometimes a person will become a bitter psychopath without warning and causes life to be hell for anybody near them. Why should their partner have to deal with that and put themselves in harms way for the rest of their lives? I won't say this is the majority of cases by any means, but the idea of planting a flag and saying it will last forever, while seemingly noble, is a bit of a stretch. Shit happens.

In 90% of cases, it's not because of something that extreme, it's because the couple can't agree on basic day-to-day shit. It's because they can't communicate. It's because they let the honeymoon feeling wear off and never do anything to keep their romance going. Etc. It's not shit that impossible to deal with (not that psychopathy is but that's a hell of a lot harder to deal with than day-to-day issues).

Bandcamp

Old 01-31-2013, 01:12 PM   #40
Zaphikh
UG Senior Member

Quote:
In 90% of cases, it's not because of something that extreme, it's because the couple can't agree on basic day-to-day shit. It's because they can't communicate. It's because they let the honeymoon feeling wear off and never do anything to keep their romance going. Etc. It's not shit that impossible to deal with (not that psychopathy is but that's a hell of a lot harder to deal with than day-to-day issues).

+1 to lack of communication. But that spreads far beyond marriage and into the realm of pretty much all social issues.
gnoight ug

Rate This Thread: