Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics > Songwriting & Lyrics Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
antisun

Need advice on writing lyrics.

Just confused on how to start it. I have things i want to write about but i just feel stuck trying to get them into words and making it sound good.
antisun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
5wFisher

start by taking a lot of notes. then try to pick out thoughts that go together and eventually it will flow, at least that has helped me many times
5wFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
BassTapp

The number one rule i've found is to avoid forcing anything. Just start with something that seems to flow (It doesn't matter how dodgy it sounds at this stage) then from there whenever you stumble across something that fits better simply add it in or edit what you have previously written. Some songs and topics you will be able to write a decent set of lyrics for in an hour others could take weeks, months or even (in one case for me) a year. Just dont think about what you're writing too much in the first few lines and it will help you get some ideas on where to go from there. Like everything the more you do it the better you will get! Have fun.
BassTapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #4
kd8dqk

I have that problem often and I'm experiencing it now. Even though my band makes country music, the technique is the same. First as Basstapp said, don't force it. I was in a metal band called Tetanus 20 years ago when a wise old musician told me "you can't force magic."
Take notes and give thought to your message or your story, but don't lose sleep over it.

Second, try downloading or buying a thesaurus and a dictionary. It sounds silly, but you will get ideas about different words that have the same meaning.

Next, tell your story and don't worry about rhyme. Most of my songs are based on parts of my life or the experiences of others. Some are barely recognizable as country songs and others are kinda sad.

Which brings me to my next piece of advice: write about what you know. People can spot a fake from a mile away. It would be like me (a born redneck country boy) trying to pass myself off as a rapper. If you want to capture the emotions of your audience you have to be real.

Hope this helps.
kd8dqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
Jordan89R

I would say keep it real. Do what comes natural to you. I wouldn't try and imitate another writer or artist, because I feel you're then funneling your ideas through a narrow tunnel. That doesn't mean you can't draw inspiration from them. Imitation and inspiration are two entirely different things.
Jordan89R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:21 AM   #6
FistOfMichallin

Go to my profile and look for my thread post in the thread, "I'm drowning in cliches..."

Srs. Your dick will get full of inspiration.
FistOfMichallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
Green_Ghoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistOfMichallin
Go to my profile and look for my thread post in the thread, "I'm drowning in cliches..."

Srs. Your dick will get full of inspiration.

Listen to this guy.

edit: Also, start reading more. I noticed that writing comes more easily after reading a bit...it can also be used as a source for inspiration. Maybe it's just me, but I really enjoy reading. I've read 7 books this month

And practice, practice, practice.

Last edited by Green_Ghoul : 04-29-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Green_Ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
sweepinblues

Tagging on to the OP's question. Do you guys find you start writing a song from the beginning verse or do you come up with the chorus more often? I find I start at the beginning and get stuck with the chorus. Its like I cant sum up my point from the verse.
If you do start with a Chorus how do you go backwards to make the verses feel right?
sweepinblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
FistOfMichallin

Also, about what Green Ghoul was saying about reading, you should write down lyrics you read, so you get familiar with how it feels to write 'good lyrics'.

Your senses will grow stronger by transcribing, just as writing your own transcriptions onto tablature will make you a better guitar player, and most importantly, musician.

Each line you write from your favorite songs, observe them. Tell yourself what you're writing; wait! Don't tell yourself what the artist WROTE, but observe what YOU are writing. Is it a simile? A metaphor? Is alliteration a technique involved with the lines? Is there rhyming, and if there is, how stressed is it that each word should rhyme? What about the imagery? Are the lyrics descriptive, sharp and colorful, or brutally honest, short and straight to the point?

You gotta ask yourself these things, and when you do, you learn what you like, what you don't, and most of all - you're validating the styles in which the lyrics are written to yourself. You can take a moment, and think, "Man... i really like that", or "i don't know about this, however", in the midst of writing, to get familiar with what turns you on and what doesn't.

It's like singing: to sing good, you have to search in your gut, your throat, mouth, face and nose, what feels good. You have to associate good singing with a particular feeling you get from how you direct your voice.

Think of writing lyrics, or ANY type of writing or composing like that. There is NO way you can write good without feeling good about or being familiar with what you're writing and the techniques you apply.

Last edited by FistOfMichallin : 05-03-2013 at 09:26 PM.
FistOfMichallin is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: