Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
joer526

Phase 90 volume drop

I have a Phase 90 that when engaged causes a noticeable drop in volume. My chain looks like this:

Guitar -> TU-2 -> Crybaby Wah -> OD-2 -> MD-2 -> Phase 90 -> Amp

I've tried the P90 before the OD-2 and while the volume drop isn't as noticeable, the effect of it is not to my liking.

I've searched around the UG forums and haven't found anything on this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
joer526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
joe_k
stereo amp connaisseur

joe_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
joer526

Hey thanks! That's exactly what it looked like when I did that. Right before I asked the usually helpful members of this forum. I didn't find anything helpful that time either.

Anybody else?
Old 01-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
mmolteratx
UG God

There are several threads that come up with that search that have all of the info you need. If it's above your level, then you're out of luck. This one tells you exactly what to do.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smffor...p?topic=57062.0
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
chip46
Do wasps make honey?

Are the newer phase 90's SMD Matt?
chip46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
mmolteratx
UG God

I think the newest ones are through hole again. There was a period when the whole line was SMD though.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Old 01-31-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
joer526

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
There are several threads that come up with that search that have all of the info you need. If it's above your level, then you're out of luck. This one tells you exactly what to do.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smffor...p?topic=57062.0

Apparently this is above my level. Very frustrating. I guess I was hoping to not have to modify the pedal, that this was a common enough problem that I could get feedback and suggestions on. Any of the threads I read talked of modifying the pedal, and the one you pointed me to I had already read and someone in there said that changing the resistor would muck it up. I am new to this and was hoping for better quality info. It's hard for me to believe that everyone that experienced this problem with this pedal either didn't use it, used it the way it is, or broke it open and started changing things out.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:31 PM   #8
chip46
Do wasps make honey?

That's good then, I thought they might still be doing SMD. OP, you'll need to open yours up and see which you're working with. SMD isn't impossible to work on, but without experience in electrical work and soldering it might prove too difficult a job for a beginner.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
mmolteratx
UG God

Another solution mentioned was trying a buffer after it. Might as well go for it. I'll take a look at the schem in a bit, but volume drop is pretty normal with a Phase 90.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Old 01-31-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
joer526

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip46
That's good then, I thought they might still be doing SMD. OP, you'll need to open yours up and see which you're working with. SMD isn't impossible to work on, but without experience in electrical work and soldering it might prove too difficult a job for a beginner.

Like I said, I'm new to the pedal thing. I do not know what SMD is. I can solder, I'm not afraid of that. I just don't want to do anything unnecessarily.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:36 PM   #11
joer526

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
Another solution mentioned was trying a buffer after it. Might as well go for it. I'll take a look at the schem in a bit, but volume drop is pretty normal with a Phase 90.

I'll try that. I don't have any other pedals other than what I listed. Which would you suggest. I was looking into getting a delay so I may just wait until I do that to do anything with the phase 90.

Hearing that volume drop was normal also is beneficial. I was assuming that is wasn't.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:39 PM   #12
mmolteratx
UG God

All of your pedals except for the CryBaby and Phase 90 are buffered. I suggest putting the Phase 90 immediately after the CryBaby. I like phasers better before dirt anyways.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Old 01-31-2013, 09:39 PM   #13
chip46
Do wasps make honey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joer526
Like I said, I'm new to the pedal thing. I do not know what SMD is. I can solder, I'm not afraid of that. I just don't want to do anything unnecessarily.

I think it's something we could walk you through, so long as you've got some soldering knowledge, and assuming it's not SMD.

SMD, by the way, is "surface-mount device", which are the types of components used in SMT, "surface-mount technology".

And of course, standard through-hole components would look like this
Old 01-31-2013, 09:51 PM   #14
joer526

OK I opened it up and it is the through-hole component type. Looking at the back of the board, it looks like one of the resistors may have been changed before. There are two solder connections that don't look like the rest. I haven't looked at any of the mods for this pedal so I'm not sure what they are or what gets changed. I would have no idea which resistor to change without a diagram or detailed instructions.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:32 PM   #15
chip46
Do wasps make honey?

It's a common mod, and I know I've seen the pictures of the circuit board with an arrow pointing to the resistor in question. I'll see if I can dig one up.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:23 PM   #16
joer526

The resistor that looks like it has been altered is the r22. I haven't been able to find anything on that mod.

I've done some experimenting and there is no volume loss if I put it in front of the distortion pedals. I'm not 100% sold on what it sounds like though. The sound I don't like is that the phase effect is overly distorted. I just read about the r28 mod ( taking out the r28 resistor) I'm curious if this would help. It is supposed to reduce the mid-boost. I'm leaning toward doing this and seeing how it performs. It seems somewhat risk free as the sound clips I've heard sound better anyway, regardless of position in the chain.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:37 PM   #17
joe_k
stereo amp connaisseur

If you know how to solder then maybe grab some flux and de soldering braid and take the resistor out properly. that way if you don't like the way it sounds you can just put it back in nice and neatly.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:48 PM   #18
joer526

That's what I plan to do. I'm also going to try getting another pedal and putting it after the p90 and before the amp.

Thanks for your help. I really do appreciate it.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:53 PM   #19
chip46
Do wasps make honey?

Yeah, trying a different placement in the chain would be the easiest option to try. I've come across some people saying moving it around helped fix the problem.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:05 AM   #20
joe_k
stereo amp connaisseur

do you use the p90 more with the md2 or od2? if you use it with one more than the other then maybe stick it in between them.

Rate This Thread: