Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
StratStar21
CAN belive its not butter

Ibanez RG5EX1 or Ibanez RG370DX

im gonna get a new guitar soon and am deciding between these 2, i havnt gotten to guitar center to test drive them yet, im just looking for advice from people more familiar with them. they both have the same neck, same bodywood (i think), same pups (which dont even matter cause im gonna switch em) and same edge III double locking tremolo. the main things i want to know ahead of time are

1. Everything ive heard about the edge III is bad, and more importantly this would be my first double locking guitar. Is it really as bad as people make it out to be? would i be better off going with a fixed bridge model in the same price range? (like the ibanez RG3EXFM1)

2. From other peoples experience, which one plays better, i just want to have a general idea if one is for some reason far superior to the other.

thanks!

Rob is my name is my game
StratStar21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
Sean-Man
Ultimate Guitarist

Hav eyou played either guitar yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Sean-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
StratStar21

no i havnt gotten a chance to get to guitar center to try them out, im just wondering if anyone has experience with them and could give me some advice on the trem

Old 06-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
ldnovelo
UG Newbie

diferences:
different finished
the reversed headstock
apart from that, they are the same
about the edge 3, it sucks because it wears out too fast. it's a fairly good trem while it lasts, but after some use, the knife edges wear out, and it becomes total sh*t. if you are going for an ibanez in this price range, go used (make a 10 minute ebay search. you will be surpriced at how cheap some awesome guitars are going) or fixed bridge.

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAŅA, ENTRA AQUI

|12h15--12h15-12h15--12h15-12h15--|
|-----15-----------15-----------15|

^my fav lick

Last edited by ldnovelo : 06-09-2009 at 05:02 PM.
ldnovelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
StratStar21

does anyone know how the neck of the RG3EXFM1 plays?

Old 06-09-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
MicahChaney
UG's Worst Title

I have had a guitar with an Edge III. I'm pretty sure it was an RG350MDX. Anyway, I liked it. I didn't have to tune the thing for the first week I had it. The Edge III isn't that bad if you get it set up properly and take care of it.

The 370DX is a great guitar, btw. I liked the way it played, but the pickups didn't gimme the chug chug I wanted. But a guitar is mostly preference so you need to go forth and play!
MicahChaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:07 AM   #7
notryt

All floating bridges go out of tune I have a ibanez prestige 1570 with the edge pro.. goes out of tune... not a lot but still over time... I have strats.. go out of tune.. got floyd roses on my jacksons.. go out of tune... I have a edge II and it goes out of tune too... the problem with the edge III that is easy to fix... but it will still be like the rest.. is to change thew trem springs to heavy duty.. this will make the trem go back to the original position instead of falling short. The problem isn't with the trems as much as it is with the strings... thinner gauge strings go out of tune faster than heavier gauge cuz they are more elastic.. strings stretch gradually over time... that's one reason why you change strings often.. and why old strings just seem to break for no apparent reason.. they got old and were stretched to the breaking point.. Its no great mystery its just science.

Last edited by notryt : 02-04-2013 at 01:10 AM.
notryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:24 AM   #8
romeozdistress

might wanna look into the rg321s i heard they are pretty solid in that price range. or maybe a mij model.
Digitech Bad Monkey
Joyo Ultimate Octava
Snark SN1
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: