Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
andyhatescrass

circuit board on marshall cab

Alright, so all I know about the pcb board in marshall cabs is that they make it possible to wire speakers a certain way to get around series/parallel wiring. I've been doing some work on one of my speakers that has been out of my cab for a while. Today I screwed it into the baffle and switched on my amp, but forgot to connect that speaker to the crimp connectors that connect everything else. It took me about 20 minutes to realize that only 3 of my speakers were working and immediately powered off and connected that speaker. My amp seems fine, but it made me raise the question if I was running an odd impedance? I normally run my head at 16 ohms into the 16 ohms input on the back. I know that the pcb board makes it possible to connect speakers of any impedance, and be running the correct load. But did it correct the load for me or was the cab running a load other than 16 ohms?
andyhatescrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

No it doesn't. All it does it change the way they are wired up. You still have to use the correct impedance speakers. It doesn't magically alter the impedance, it just allows you to switch between parallel or series/parallel connections.
And yes, you were running at the wrong impedance while the speaker was disconnected. It is unlikely to cause any damage but it is certainly sub-optimal.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
No it doesn't. All it does it change the way they are wired up. You still have to use the correct impedance speakers. It doesn't magically alter the impedance, it just allows you to switch between parallel or series/parallel connections.
And yes, you were running at the wrong impedance while the speaker was disconnected. It is unlikely to cause any damage but it is certainly sub-optimal.

Truth be spoken.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
andyhatescrass

Just out of curiosity, what would the impedance actually be with only 3 16 ohm speakers connected instead of 4 wired exactly like this? I don't know how to figure out impedance in the first place without looking at diagrams.

It was one of the bottom speakers that was not attached.

Cathbard, you posted it in a thread of mine a while ago, but here it is in case anyone else chimes in.

Last edited by andyhatescrass : 01-31-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhatescrass
Just out of curiosity, what would the impedance actually be with only 3 16 ohm speakers connected instead of 4 wired exactly like this? I don't know how to figure out impedance in the first place without looking at diagrams.

It was one of the bottom speakers that was not attached.

Cathbard, you posted it in a thread of mine a while ago, but here it is in case anyone else chimes in.

Rtot = 16 + 8 = 24 ohms
if it is in series-parallel

1/Rtot = 1/16 + 1/16 + 1/16 = 3/16
Rtot = 16/3 = 5.3 ohms
if it is in parallel

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
andyhatescrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
Rtot = 16 + 8 = 24 ohms
if it is in series-parallel

1/Rtot = 1/16 + 1/16 + 1/16 = 3/16
Rtot = 16/3 = 5.3 ohms
if it is in parallel

Thanks! Pretty sure what I have wired is a series-parallel wiring, so 16 into 24 ohms isnt horrible for a few minutes..... Glad I found that out, my mind is at peace.

Rate This Thread: