User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-02-2013, 12:46 AM   #221
Eastwinn
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
That's great. Don't come and contribute anything.

And there are plenty of sources that show women for how they truly are. It doesn't mean ALL of them have to. Just like anything else, really.

i did contribute earlier. honestly you're beyond help. maybe you should try reading about social issues.
Eastwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:46 AM   #222
Gantz92

People saying comics are dumb don't know what they are talking about. There's all kinds of different genres other than superhero comics. It's like saying film sucks because most romantic comedies are crap.
Gantz92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #223
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwinn
i did contribute earlier. honestly you're beyond help. maybe you should try reading about social issues.

I know a fairly good amount about social issues. Im not going to try to pretend that I'm an expert, but i definitely know enough to have a valid opinion on the matter.
May I ask, which of my opinions exactly do you think are beyond help, and why do you think that?
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:50 AM   #224
palm mute
Reserved User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhiteIsButts
Comic books are stupid, I think that if anyone is still reading this that is the one thing I'd want you to take away from this thread.

Agreed.

Quote:
As far as the prevalence of sexism and gender roles in society it really doesn't bother me much as I am at best neutral or wholly indifferent to it or at worst a benefactor from it. Either way I am content.

I'm not really an activist or anything, generally I just try to do what I think is right in my own day to day situations. I would never sign a petition to ban something like this, but talking about how dumb it is takes just small enough of an effort on my part that I have zero issues doing it.

every night
palm mute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #225
due 07
haaan

Quote:
I am the one who cares for freedom of speech and expression. Thats why i am against the idea of making laws to stop people from having ideas that are different then my own. Even if i don't like the idea i can't tell other people that they can't have them. Thats not what government is about, and that definitely isn't what art is about.

yeah no one's arguing about laws though, that'd be absurd.
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:54 AM   #226
palm mute
Reserved User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz92
People saying comics are dumb don't know what they are talking about. There's all kinds of different genres other than superhero comics. It's like saying film sucks because most romantic comedies are crap.

Of course. But the most amazing comic book is still miles away from an average film, or a shitty but slightly enjoyable book.

This is what this thread really needs to be about, where comic books fall on the media value scale.

every night
Old 02-02-2013, 12:54 AM   #227
magnus_maximus
lord of the files

Realtalk - a very large proportion of hentai artists are female.
Well then I am the gayest pedophile.
magnus_maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:54 AM   #228
cornmancer
Thou mayest

Quote:
So long as they don't discriminate in the workplace, or kill people based on sex, they have every right to be sexist jackasses and read sexist jackass material (that's assuming that these things are sexist). You have every right to not associate with them. You don't (or shouldn't) have a right to tell them how to make their art/entertainment. That is fascism, even if it's done democratically.
People have the right to be wrong.

Only the difference is that it's not the government saying "NO TITTIES IN COMICS" it's a petition. It's people asking them to stop. They don't have to. It's more like you're at a dinner party and on your uncle's third joke about lazy Mexicans and ******s, you whisper to him "Cut that shit out."
Quote:
Wouldn't that indicate that the problem is the existence of stereotypical gender roles rather than the adherence of comic book characters to those pre-existing gender roles specifically? One can make the argument that it reinforces harmful gender roles, but quite frankly the issue is far more pervasive than that and can be seen in pretty much all forms of media, most if not all of which have far more cultural influence than comic books.

So this is not a very ambitious place to start combating gender roles.

I certainly agree, but I think this movement has sprung from the fact that there are more and more female comic readers all the time and they're taken aback by it. Commercials, TV, film, etc. is already so entrenched that we hardly notice it sometimes. But since they're just coming into comics it's like, "Wait, woah. That's not cool."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
how do big boobs in comic books have anything to do with social roles?

in other news: sex is sexist because the penis goes IN the vagina

EDIT: actually perhaps I should say sex is sexist because the vagina CAN'T go inside the penis. Now that's discrimination if ever I've heard it!

Because it's saying that ALL women should have big boobs.
Quote:
Wonder Woman! Make me a sandwich!

no wonder comic book guys can't get girlfriends, they have unrealistic expectations of the real world as portrayed by various fantasy worlds in comic books...

honestly, humans are already the least sexist species of animal on the entire planet. Everyone screams for equality, equality, equality, but fundamentally males and females are different, and both sexes exist in the first place for the exact purpose of filling specific roles.

now I'm all for equal rights and opportunities, of course, but can we stop forgetting why men (for the most part) find women attractive in the first place? If they didn't we wouldn't be here to discuss it in the first place.

BIG BOOBS FOR LIFE!

Oh you're serious. You're serious with all the complacency and undertones of disrespect for all genders. K.
That I won't go to hell.
cornmancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #229
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by due 07
yeah no one's arguing about laws though, that'd be absurd.

Ok, you're right. We agree on that.
I apologize to everyone who I yelled/called names. It was ****ed up and I get too heated about this type of stuff.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:57 AM   #230
magnus_maximus
lord of the files

I learned on here a long time ago that, when arguing, getting angry is the single worst thing to do.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:58 AM   #231
cornmancer
Thou mayest

Quote:
Originally Posted by palm mute
Of course. But the most amazing comic book is still miles away from an average film, or a shitty but slightly enjoyable book.

This is what this thread really needs to be about, where comic books fall on the media value scale.

I'd say you're just reading the wrong comics. Granted, I've only been deeply emotionally engaged by a few comic series, but still. I don't think it's cool to devalue an entire art form, even if by and large it's crap. And don't get me wrong, it's by and large crap. I just don't like such huge generalizations.
That I won't go to hell.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:59 AM   #232
magnus_maximus
lord of the files

Quote:

Oh that's just not true at all.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:00 AM   #233
palm mute
Reserved User

It is an entirely subjective argument, sweeping generalizations are a must.

Although if we were to get objective with it I think comic books would still fall lower than other forms of media.

every night
Old 02-02-2013, 01:00 AM   #234
Diamond Dave

Quote:
Dunno about that first line. The rest of that just sounds like an excuse to keep treating other people differently.

I'm all for equal rights and opportunities and all of that too, which is why I find it kind of disgusting how certain media outlets demote half of our species to little more than eye candy.

I do love me some big titties

but its true, the goals of every living thing on the planet are to a) stay alive and b) reproduce as much as possible. Now of course not every species on Earth has evolved the same way we have to achieve this, but for more or less all mammals at least it comes down to eating and fucking. Following this revelation, it is also apparent that females are much more valuable than males in terms of reproduction.

I'm not going to go on for ever here, but basically "political correctness" has gotten completely out of hand, and comic books are just appealing to horny teenagers.

As for treating people differently, I will yet again refer to Monty Python

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornmancer
Because it's saying that ALL women should have big boobs.

lol, its not saying anything of the sort, its a comic book ffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornmancer
Oh you're serious. You're serious with all the complacency and undertones of disrespect for all genders. K.

"its symbolic of his (your) struggle with reality"

Kasabian - Fire fan video/uni work. Watch it!

Jackson Dinky with TB-11 + SH-1 Pickups & Gotoh Floyd Rose
Washburn D10S
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby
Fulltone OCD
MXR 6 Band EQ
Laney VC15
Hayden 2x12

Last edited by Diamond Dave : 02-02-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Diamond Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:01 AM   #235
Eastwinn
UG Addict

Quote:
Ok, you're right. We agree on that.
I apologize to everyone who I yelled/called names. It was ****ed up and I get too heated about this type of stuff.

i'm sorry for insulting you without actually trying to have an intelligent discussion.

mangina_maximus: i always wonder, if a simple disagreement makes me this angry, how will i ever manage to get married and have children without slaughtering them?
Old 02-02-2013, 01:05 AM   #236
Diamond Dave

Quote:
i'm sorry for insulting you without actually trying to have an intelligent discussion.

mangina_maximus: i always wonder, if a simple disagreement makes me this angry, how will i ever manage to get married and have children without slaughtering them?

well you don't actually have to if you don't want to, fancy that!

Kasabian - Fire fan video/uni work. Watch it!

Jackson Dinky with TB-11 + SH-1 Pickups & Gotoh Floyd Rose
Washburn D10S
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby
Fulltone OCD
MXR 6 Band EQ
Laney VC15
Hayden 2x12
Diamond Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:08 AM   #237
magnus_maximus
lord of the files

Quote:

I do not care for your insinuation that I lack a phallus. I'll have you know it is well kempt and well proportioned.

But people change when they have kids, 'sall cool brah.

Quote:
well you don't actually have to if you don't want to, fancy that!

And this.

Last edited by magnus_maximus : 02-02-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:08 AM   #238
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

Holy shit, this thread took a surprising turn.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:13 AM   #239
Eastwinn
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phallus_maximus
I do not care for your insinuation that I lack a phallus. I'll have you know it is well kempt and well proportioned.

But people change when they have kids, 'sall cool brah.

hopefully i grow out of the whole emetophobia thing too. that's gonna be a real bummer when the kids come along. which, btw, i do want. i wanna marry a bipolar girl so that our bipolar powers combined we can get guaranteed bipolar babies (genetics be damned). the possibilities are endless.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:14 AM   #240
cornmancer
Thou mayest

Quote:
but its true, the goals of every living thing on the planet are to a) stay alive and b) reproduce as much as possible. Now of course not every species on Earth has evolved the same way we have to achieve this, but for more or less all mammals at least it comes down to eating and fucking. Following this revelation, it is also apparent that females are much more valuable than males in terms of reproduction.

lol, its not saying anything of the sort, its a comic book ffs.

"its symbolic of his (your) struggle with reality"

If you start thinking about human beings in such black and white terms as "our only point is to eat and reproduce" you
A) miss a lot of beautiful things in life.
B) unintentionally say very mean things about people who don't want children, can't have children, or are not inclined to have sex with the sort of person with whom they can make children.

And yes it is saying that. I don't care if the thing is actually about Superman beating the crap out of the bad guy, when Superwoman and Supergirl and Batwoman and Batgirl and every female in the universe has big tits and a nice ass, it's saying that's how women are supposed to be. It doesn't matter if that's not what the story is about. Subtext my friend.
Quote:
hopefully i grow out of the whole emetophobia thing too. that's gonna be a real bummer when the kids come along. which, btw, i do want. i wanna marry a bipolar girl so that our bipolar powers combined we can get guaranteed bipolar babies (genetics be damned). the possibilities are endless.

Adopt a child who's old enough not to be barfing all over the place. Granted if they ever get a stomach flu or some shit, head for the hills, BUT UNTIL THEN!
That I won't go to hell.

Last edited by cornmancer : 02-02-2013 at 01:17 AM.

Rate This Thread: