Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-01-2013, 04:07 AM   #1
Airfish

Rookie question: stereo cab/head connection?

Hey there.

Please have mercy on me, Iīm really just a rookie in terms of cabs and heads, so far only had a combo and some modelling stuf....
And I have a question regarding head/cab connecting.

I plan to buy the HT-5R head, partly for bedroom practise and partly for garage jams with friends. I was thinking cab-wise about the HT112, or HTV112, or maybe even two HT112s, as a mini stack. Then I calculated the price of the mini stack + two V30s to pop in the cabs instead of the stock speakers. And came quite close to the price of the Engl vertical 212 already equiped with V30s, that everybody says is far superior in terms of quality. But I donīt understand that mono/stereo thing on the Engl. It has only one jack input, the other jack looks like and output. Or am I getting the whole thing completely wrong? Can those jack both be use as inputs? Or how does the damn thing work?

So how can I connect the HT5-R head to this Engl? It has 3 outputs: 1x16 ohm and 1x8 or 2x16 ohm. The head has a cool stereo reverb, heard it, really dig it. Can I get the sound including the stereo reverb from this head to that Engl cab? And how?

Thanx in advance for your answers.
Airfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

free bump day

this is my guess and my guess only - not really knowing the head or cab

my guess is that the Vintage 30s in the Engl cab are both 16 ohm. So just with that (if true) then you would match 16 to 16.

i'm guessing when you say 'It has 3 outputs' you mean the amp head.

now, the second jack on the cab is 'probably' for daisy chaining another cab. if that is the case then one option to hook up another 16 ohm cab and run the total load at 8 ohms. Set amp to 8 too in that case (remember, always match).

if the cab itself also has the option of running in stereo (Series/Parallel) then you might be able to plug into each jack which would in turn power each 16 ohm speaker individually. that could come in handy if you had another amp running 16 and you ran both amps into each speaker at 16 each. Or - use the 2x16 to run the single Blackstar amp in stereo into the both jack on the cab (BUT I DON"T think you can do that).

Remember this. 2 speakers wired in Series you add them. 8ohm + 8ohm = 16ohm. 2 speakers wired in Parallel you divide down basically. 8ohm + 8ohm = 4ohms. So 2 16 ohm speakers wired in Series = 32, which is not really good.

Another question would be what is your total budget, what do you play, and how loud is your band/drummer?
Old 02-02-2013, 03:36 AM   #3
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfish
I donīt understand that mono/stereo thing on the Engl. It has only one jack input, the other jack looks like and output. Or am I getting the whole thing completely wrong? Can those jack both be use as inputs? Or how does the damn thing work?

depends. i tried to find a pic of the jack plate online but couldn't find one.

if the cabinet is mono then it could either have 1 jack or 2 jacks run in paralle. if the jacks are run in parallel then that means you can daisy chain more cabinets together (run more cabinets in parallel)

if the cabinet is done in stereo then it could have 1 mono jack and 2 stereo jacks (each stereo jack would go to one speaker in the 2x12 cabinet). the cabinet could also just use a 2 jack plate with switches [or something].

mono - one input signal goes to all the speakers

stereo - one input signal goes to one set of speakers another input signal goes to another set of speakers.

stereo is basically having two amps and speakers offset from one another and working together to create a stereophonic sound.

Quote:
So how can I connect the HT5-R head to this Engl? It has 3 outputs: 1x16 ohm and 1x8 or 2x16 ohm.

connect the ENGL 2x12 vertical cabinet to the 1x8 output on the amp.

Quote:
The head has a cool stereo reverb, heard it, really dig it. Can I get the sound including the stereo reverb from this head to that Engl cab? And how?

this is confusing here. in order for your amp to have stereo effects then it pretty much needs stereo output (else it's just mono). so if your amp has 'stereo reverb' and one output... then you don't really have stereo reverb.

how do you get the amp's stereo reverb to work with the stereo cab? you need to get another power section for you amplifier so it can output a stereo signal.

if you made your amp stereo and hooked it up properly then you need a 16 ohm speaker out for each side (right and left).

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
Airfish

Thanx a lot for your advice, guys.
Meanwile I found out, that the stereo reverb only works in the speaker-emulated/headpohone output of the amp. All the other 8 and 16 ohm speaker outputs are only mono. So much for stereo reverb....
Airfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: