Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
SimonGrounsell

Question on pedals

Hi all,

If I run my guitar straight to the amp, will it sound different if I run it to an effect pedal, then to the amp? if I have the effect switched off of course.

My amp is a Belcat vintage v35rg 35w and my guitar are a epiphone les Paul standard and ibanez 170dxl

Thanks , Simon
SimonGrounsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight

It depends on the quality of the pedal, if its $20, it may buzz and hum like crazy.

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
ProphetToJables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

maybe

try it both ways to see

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
james4

if the pedal is true bypass then it'll sound the same, assuming all the connections are good

if the effect has buffered bypass (like a BOSS pedal, for example), then it *should* sound the same, though the build quality and buffer style can play a part. In most cases you won't be able to notice a difference, unless it's a super low-end pedal

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
james4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by james4
(a) if the pedal is true bypass then it'll sound the same, assuming all the connections are good

(b) if the effect has buffered bypass (like a BOSS pedal, for example), then it *should* sound the same, though the build quality and buffer style can play a part. In most cases you won't be able to notice a difference, unless it's a super low-end pedal

(a) nope. true bypass won't affect your tone inside the pedal... but it won't do anything to help with long cable runs, and with long cable runs (especially with cheaper, high capacitance cables) treble roll-off can be noticeable.

(b) yep, in theory the buffer should help with the treble roll-off i mentioned in (a), but as you said, that's in theory and assuming a well-designed buffer. also sometimes too many buffers can interact (or buffers with slightly less than unity gain, like the boss ones i think) and start to have a cumulative effect on your tone. one (good) buffer will most likely help things, but whack 5 together and all bets are off, kind of thing.

That's actually why I like true bypass- while a lot of the claims about it are BS ("not affecting your tone" being one), at least its drawbacks are easily rectified. if i'm suffering from too much treble loss because all my pedals are true bypass, all i need to do is buy a good buffer and that should sort it.

From what i hear, the same should be true with half-assed bypass too (but then it sounds not so great if you don't use a buffer).

Old 02-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Woffelz
Mmmm...donuts...

Depends on if the pedal is buzzy/hummy or not and it it's true bypass or not. The first one speaks for itself. If it's true bypass, the signal will be weaker.

Twitter
Youtube
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Woffelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #7
SimonGrounsell

Thanks , this all makes sense one of my pedals is a better quality true bypass pedal it's just a blues distortion pedal so I'm playing it with a bluesy tone before switching it on anyway and the second isn't a true bypass pedal but the second pedal isn't a a true bypass but it doesn't change to much to worry a out replacing it.
SimonGrounsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

My MXR Micro Chorus is true bypass and the treble roll-of was so clearly noticeable that I don't really use it at the moment (and I like my clean tone without chorus too, it's not necessary effect for me any more). I think some day I'll buy a good quality buffered bypass pedal (Visual Sound GT Oil Can Phaser, any experience?) and my problem is solved.

And if the pedal is true bypass, it's true bypass. There is no bad or good quality true bypass. Because then it's not true bypass. True bypass means that the pedal doesn't have an effect on your tone when it's off. But of course if you have a long cable, you will lose treble. I had two 7.5 meter cables and it sounded so dull compared to a 3 meter or 7.5 meter cable alone. And I can't notice almost any difference between a 3 meter or 7.5 meter cable. I think it also depends on how sensitive your amp is. On my Microcube I think I wouldn't have noticed any difference between long and short cable but on my Laney VC30 it feels like everything matters a lot more.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonGrounsell
Thanks , this all makes sense one of my pedals is a better quality true bypass pedal it's just a blues distortion pedal so I'm playing it with a bluesy tone before switching it on anyway and the second isn't a true bypass pedal but the second pedal isn't a a true bypass but it doesn't change to much to worry a out replacing it.

yeah i mean the basic gist of it is, if you don't notice any difference, it doesn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
And if the pedal is true bypass, it's true bypass. There is no bad or good quality true bypass. Because then it's not true bypass. True bypass means that the pedal doesn't have an effect on your tone when it's off. But of course if you have a long cable, you will lose treble. I had two 7.5 meter cables and it sounded so dull compared to a 3 meter or 7.5 meter cable alone. And I can't notice almost any difference between a 3 meter or 7.5 meter cable. I think it also depends on how sensitive your amp is. On my Microcube I think I wouldn't have noticed any difference between long and short cable but on my Laney VC30 it feels like everything matters a lot more.

i guess you could argue that the quality of the wiring inside the pedal (and the amount of wire used) and the quality of the switch might very slightly affect things. But that's probably massively overthinking it to the extent of missing the wood for the trees, lol.

but yeah definitely guitar seems to be a "weakest chain in the link" kind of thing... there's no point in worrying about something minor if you have something far more important wrong. always fix the weakest link first. Granted, once you do, that previous minor problem might be much more noticeable.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
ikey_

it really shouldnt with a decently planned rig. you can try it, and it may. its just a fact, more stuff in the way is goingto have an impact.

we are human, our ears are only so good?

if you can definitely tell, then yeah, chances are you have messed something up, you have power supply issues, or your pedals suck.

if you have to A/B test it 3 times and you still are not convinced, it probably doesnt matter.
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Accountant Comp, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: