Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
uptheironschris

Another guitar pedal question

Hey all, lately I've been hearing about true bypass etc and was wondering if I am doing something wrong with my setup?

ESP LTD deluxe ec-1000 -> boss TU-2 tuner -> Dunlop ZW crybaby wah -> Maxon OD-808 -> ISP decimator -> peavey 6505+ head.

I run everything all in line and was wondering should I be doing this? Also if I wanted to switch to a clean channel I always have to hit my Maxon/ISP decimator
first then to the clean channel thus doing a small tap dance. Anyway to avoid this?

Thanks!

I also would like to get my hand on a Keeley compressor, where would that fit in?
uptheironschris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Try getting something like this:
http://www.markoneaudio.co.uk/2-looper.html

You could run the tuner in one loop, the pedals in another. That way when you want to switch more than one effect at once you simply turn off that loop on this pedal.

Compressors would normally go towards the start of the chain, but experimentation is always the answer
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
Trecion

I'm just curious, does keeping the noisegate on at the clean channel really change the sound?
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Boss TU-3
-Boss NS-2
-ibanez PM7
Trecion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trecion
I'm just curious, does keeping the noisegate on at the clean channel really change the sound?

Yeah it does, unless you would lower the threshold, but that's impractical to do mid-song.

TS, I used to have the exact same problem as you. Switching back and forth from a passable clean to my high gain tone (TS9, 6505+, Decimator in the loop) was a major pain and required three "foot presses" to go from dirty to clean and three more to go back to distortion.

I picked up the RP1000 in my sig specifically for this. It's pretty darn slick with the external amp and stompbox loop features. I use my 6505+ for distortion and then with 1 footswitch I can switch to a nice clean tone with some effects using the RP1000 as a preamp and bypassing the 6505 preamp. The Line 6 POD HD500 and Boss GT units can do this as well I think.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
uptheironschris

will just the RP1000 work? or should the RP500 cut it..? I kind of didnt want to go with a multi effect pedal however...
Old 02-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheironschris
will just the RP1000 work? or should the RP500 cut it..? I kind of didnt want to go with a multi effect pedal however...

Unfortunately the RP500 isn't capable of the 4 cable method. You'd need the RP1000 to set it up the way I described. The RP1000 is more affordable than the Line 6 or Boss equivalents, but the biggest downside is there is no midi control (something most people don't need anyway).

Here's a quick video to show you how to set it up.

Check out some of the reviews and find out some of the pro's and con's if you're interested.

I know exactly how you feel about the multi-effects though. I was in the exact same boat a month ago. I had a pretty nice pedalboard going (TS9, Chorus, Carbon Copy, ISP Decimator, 10 Band EQ) but the tapdancing was just too much. To go from a clean with a little bit of delay to a distorted sound would be three to five pedals to click. I decided to go with the multi-effects and I'm really impressed.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
uptheironschris

That is awesome info. Thanks man!

ESP Ltd Deluxe EC-1000
Peavey 6505+ head
Orange 4x12 cab
Boss TU-2
ISP decimator
Maxon OD-808
Old 02-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
uptheironschris

SO last question....

This is what i want to do...
GUITAR---->Pedal board----> AMP, Input to output all one chain...

on my pedal board i want to be able to switch between 3 channels. ( essentially using the footswitch the 6505+ comes with) Guitar will go directly in tuner first perhaps with the WAH always ready for use.

first switch: Maxon OD808 i want always on, ISP on.
second switch: boost for solos. maybe a chorus.
third switch: bright cleans with maybe a compressor/ chorus. ISP off.

Hopefully everything can be powerd using like a JOYO power supply and then through a true bypass? How would I make that work?

Thanks!

P.S i dont the second channel on the 6505+ will be of much use so if thats not the case im thinking I could just tap a boost pedal or chorus for those leads or solos.

Is it smart having the OD808 always on and then boosting again to raise the volume or can I/ should i just acheive that using a chorus?

ESP Ltd Deluxe EC-1000
Peavey 6505+ head
Orange 4x12 cab
Boss TU-2
ISP decimator
Maxon OD-808
Old 02-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
uptheironschris

ESP Ltd Deluxe EC-1000
Peavey 6505+ head
Orange 4x12 cab
Boss TU-2
ISP decimator
Maxon OD-808
Old 02-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Yes - it's essentially a larger version of the pedal I linked to in the first reply. With that sort of thing, the size depends on how much you want in each of it's loops.

With one that size, you could have each of your pedals in a separate loop with some left over - but that's kind of missing the point. The advantage of those looper pedals is that you can have several pedals in each loop, then by turning that loop on you connect to all the the pedals at once, same goes with turning them off. If you have each pedal in a separate loop, you still have to do the tap dancing to switch them all on and off.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: