Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
NoTroll

e acoustic pickups

So one thing iv noticed from playing and recording me lower middle price range electro acoustic is that the pick up, a BBand something or other is not very good and that it sounds a bit cheap and nasty from my amp or on tape. In real life the actual guitar is good to lovely sounding depending on circumstances so this pickup is letting the team down a bit.
Iv thought about getting a really expensive guitar but the missus says a definite no so im thinking of getting a good quality detachable pickup something like a fishman rare earth. it'l also mean that the next acoustic i buy wont have to be an electro acoustic
Any thoughts or recommendations?
NoTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
Bikewer

If you look around on YouTube you can find most aftermarket pickups tested by fairly knowledgable folks. The Fishman products are well thought of but usually not cheap.

I just watched a test of the Fishman rare earth model against a Baggs equivalent... They both sounded very good run through a clean amp. It'd be a toss-up.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
NoTroll

thanks buddy il give them a go.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
Captaincranky

IMHO, the LR Baggs ribbon peizos are likely as good as any.

Assuming you're playing alone, I'm more inclined to believe you're playing too loud, you have the EQ wrong, and your amp sucks.

If you turn up when playing alone, the rapid transient response of a peizo makes the sound too "edgy". That all happens in the high end, and it makes the sound too strident

AE guitar preamps are balanced to "cut through the mix". When I'm playing solo, I clip most of the treble, a lot of the midrange, and boost the bass. Then, I only turn up loud enough to fill out the sound, and make use of the specials effects.

You want to stick with "ambiance" effects, like chorus, reverb, and delay.

If you can get next to a small modeling amp, such as a Peavey "Vyper 15", you'll quickly see how the amp being modeled, will enhance or detract from the sound of your guitar.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 02-03-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:18 AM   #5
NoTroll

actually your right about my amp sucking, but i virtually never use it.
My problem is with recording. i wasnt happy with the sound i was getting when recording through the pickup and i did try every combination with the eq and it still sounded cheap and nasty. :S
So i just put a regular mic up to it and the guitar sounded 1000 x better. So my problem then is when i eventually come to perform what am i to do?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
tuxs

Well the fact is, if you are going to perform live you have to have good gear. So its simple
new gat with top of the line built in electronic's and new amp or new missus. Cheers
tuxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
NoTroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxs
Well the fact is, if you are going to perform live you have to have good gear. So its simple
new gat with top of the line built in electronic's and new amp or new missus. Cheers

i dont know about that. i mean on a typical night a good portion of the audience are drunk a good portion dont even know what theyre listening to and the tiny fraction who might take issue with that your using second best gear who cares about them anyway?? besides i have no plans to gig yet i just wanna get a better sound from my acoustic for recording purposes.

Rate This Thread: