Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
l8machine

Should I trade my Schecter for a Fender?

So, I have a Schecter Blackjack C-1. It's a great guitar, set neck, the original Seymour Duncan pickups and a really metally sound.

My problem with it is - I play blues and rock almost exclusively (favourites are The Black Keys and Jack White, but also Buddy Guy, Jon Spencer, sometimes the likes of The Vines). And the Schecter has a very sharp sound, which is very good for distortion and, you know, shredding.

I posted to sell it, and was offered to trade for a Mexican Fender Stratocaster in great condition. I'm guessing sound-wise I will like it much more, but I don't want to trade for something really inferior price-wise. You think it's a fair trade (I'm ok if the fender is a bit cheaper)?
l8machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
griffin888

You could just swap out the pickups if you really like the feel of your Blackjack. I personally wouldn't do that trade, if you want a Strat I'd sell the Blackjack and buy a used MIM for like 300 bucks.
cause you feel an urge to get some wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
it could turn the wangcaster into a bass.
griffin888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
halfj06

Well schecters generally have very poor resale.. if the strat feels good id see if you can get afew bucks to boot.. if not id still trade
halfj06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
l8machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfj06
Well schecters generally have very poor resale.. if the strat feels good id see if you can get afew bucks to boot.. if not id still trade

Yeah, fenders go for almost full new price, while all Schecters drop by 50% for pre-owned guitars. Guess I'll just go see, how the guitar feels and sounds and just decide based on that.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
Angusman60
I think, therefore, I am.

Look into setting your Schecter up with Prails. That will give it a strat-like sound.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
Angusman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
zenbone
King of two things...

i would make the trade.
zenbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga

Your amp is far more important.
TunerAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
Chaz-6(sic)6
ThatMETALDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict
Your amp is far more important.

I'd still make the trade.

If it's your only guitar, trade for the fender.
Later you can get a quality amp, that is, if you don't already have one.

cause what use is a great amp without a guitar???

Bottom line, if you like the fender, make the trade.

Jackson DK-2 - Trans. Black - EMG 81/SA (D-Standard)
Jackson RR-3 - Ivory - D-Activators (Standard)
Ibanez RG370DX - Black - EMG 81/60 (Drop-B)
Jackson JS32R - Black - EMG 81 (Drop-A)
Chaz-6(sic)6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8machine
Yeah, fenders go for almost full new price, while all Schecters drop by 50% for pre-owned guitars. Guess I'll just go see, how the guitar feels and sounds and just decide based on that.

Definitely not true, Mexican Fenders typically drop about 50% or more in price. MiM strats can be had all day for $250-$300 on CL or at GC. Blackjacks might fetch a bit more, since they are right there with Hellraisers as the best of the Diamond Series line. And I'd put the hardware and electronics far above those of a MIM Fender.

But in the end all that matters is what you could get for your guitar. GC sells Schecters for pretty cheap, even Blackjacks, so you would probably get around $300 for it if you tried to sell it on CL.

I say go for it if you really do want something else, but don't settle for the first strat that comes along if you don't mesh with it. Just see what's out there and find the right guitar for you. And keep in mind that, while the Fender name might mean something, trading your Blackjack for a MIM strat is trading down, as far as the hardware and electronics are concerned.

Last edited by W4RP1G : 02-01-2013 at 08:38 PM.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
JAHellraiser

Go try it out first of all. Play it for at least 15 or 20 minutes. If you like it go for it, if not then don't.
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #11
jpnyc

MIM Strat for a Blackjack is an awful trade. The Schecter is built better with much better parts. And the ceramic magnet pickups in an MIM strat will have the same sharp icy sound as the JB in your blackjack’s bridge slot. You would be better off to just get a more mellow pickup to replace the JB.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #12
l8machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnyc
MIM Strat for a Blackjack is an awful trade. The Schecter is built better with much better parts. And the ceramic magnet pickups in an MIM strat will have the same sharp icy sound as the JB in your blackjack’s bridge slot. You would be better off to just get a more mellow pickup to replace the JB.

I was already starting to reconsider, and after reading your comment and your review of the barotone model I decided to keep the guitar and jsut save up some money to get an amp that will suit it, and swqitch the pickups later on.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #13
Emster 23

Just read the review of the blackjack, having never played one... but the bj sounds so much better to me than a strat.... I thought Amp like mentioned above right away. Seems to me that the strat would be even sharper than some SD humbuckers. So I thought maybe you should look at the pickups regarding overall height from the strings and individual poles. maybe just the high string poles are off? Heck they could all be off! Are you "diming" everything? roll back volume and tone might cool it down a tad. I would think long and hard before trading for a guitar that seems inferior to what you have. Play with the pickups, and btw what amp are you using? Some amps and guitars just don't get along
Emster 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #14
gregs1020
Hi mom!

+1 on adjusting pup heights and pole piece heights.

if that fails, look into a lower output bridge pup.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #15
l8machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emster 23
Just read the review of the blackjack, having never played one... but the bj sounds so much better to me than a strat.... I thought Amp like mentioned above right away. Seems to me that the strat would be even sharper than some SD humbuckers. So I thought maybe you should look at the pickups regarding overall height from the strings and individual poles. maybe just the high string poles are off? Heck they could all be off! Are you "diming" everything? roll back volume and tone might cool it down a tad. I would think long and hard before trading for a guitar that seems inferior to what you have. Play with the pickups, and btw what amp are you using? Some amps and guitars just don't get along

I had a Roland 30W-something amp, which was a bit better, now I had a Line 6 Spider II 150W amp, which I usually played clean through a Bad Monkey overdrive. The pedal made the sound dirtier, but without it or with the amp onboard overdrive I really didn't like the sound. Now I've sold the Line 6 and am looking in to valve amps. Any suggestions on that front?

Thanks for al lthe advice, by the way. I've been playing for a long time, bet never really learned about gear all that much.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #16
DeanoM50810
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8machine
I had a Roland 30W-something amp, which was a bit better, now I had a Line 6 Spider II 150W amp, which I usually played clean through a Bad Monkey overdrive. The pedal made the sound dirtier, but without it or with the amp onboard overdrive I really didn't like the sound. Now I've sold the Line 6 and am looking in to valve amps. Any suggestions on that front?

What's your budget? How many watts do you need? If you gig a lot, Laney are worth checking out, I hear they're not that great for recording though. There's Fender and Vox as well, or the Line 6 DT25 if you play all sorts of genres, I have one of those ordered.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #17
l8machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoM50810
What's your budget? How many watts do you need? If you gig a lot, Laney are worth checking out, I hear they're not that great for recording though. There's Fender and Vox as well, or the Line 6 DT25 if you play all sorts of genres, I have one of those ordered.

My budget is as low as possible. Basically, I can't afford one at the moment, but I save quite a bit every month. I want to buy one as soon as possible, but something right.

I don't gig at all, I mostly play alone (with my Boss RC-3 and the Digitech Whammy for bass), and record my songs quite often. I mostly play blues and Black Keyish music, but I like to divercify, so something universal would be best, I think.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:08 AM   #18
tybacca60

Do you have to gig?If so do the places you play have PA's?If you don't NEED a amp I'd go for a nice floorboard.I just got a Digitech rp-1000 for 240$(npd coming soon),and its modeling sounds fantastic.So if you don't need a amp,I'd go there with a nice pair of headphones. Ninja edit:Sorry didn't see your post above.Go fr a line 6 or digi rp.You won't be disappointed.
Esp ltd f-50
Amp:
Randall rd-20h
Randall rd112-v30
Pedals:
Digitech rp-1000

Last edited by tybacca60 : 02-03-2013 at 12:13 AM.
tybacca60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:55 AM   #19
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Hey man. I have some input for you.

I would not make that trade, as stated by several other folks above me. MiM Strats are a gamble unless you find a good one and your Schecter should fetch more than the MiM to begin with.

My suggestion would be to put the Schecter on eBay or craigslist and ask $550 for it, and take no less than $450. Fair price.
With that kind of money, you might be able to score a used American Standard or G&L USA Legacy (if you don't already know, G&L was started by leo fender after he sold his company).
$500 will also get a very nice used MiJ Strat, sort of a step above Mexican and on par or below American.

In terms of ampage, for blues and rock on a budget I cannot recommend the Peavey Classic 50 enough. They can be had for $350-$400 and sound really good, great cleans, and good overdrive channel. I have extensive experience with mine and can say it would work for what you play quite well.
also in the same boat are the Egnater Tweaker 40 head and a cab, Fender Super Sonic, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III and Vox AC15 (which is pushing it if you need loud cleans).
Out of all those I would take the Classic 50 unless I didn't need cleans, then it'd be the vox.

if you go the route tybacca60 suggested I don't recommend the Digitech RP series. Instead, Line6 HD500 and the line6 XT Live multifx are great, and have very good amp models. Run through a PA, you could pass at a gig.

I mainly post in GG&A (guitar gear and accessories) and if you ask about an amp there I think you'll get far more responses that might be more helpful.

Hope you get it sorted
Old 02-03-2013, 01:12 AM   #20
tybacca60

Hmm that's odd what's your reasoning for not liking the rp's?My sounds fantastic.I played a x3 live pod and the rp wins in almost every category.I know there's personal preference,but just wanted to see your logic.
Esp ltd f-50
Amp:
Randall rd-20h
Randall rd112-v30
Pedals:
Digitech rp-1000
tybacca60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: