Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #21
gerraguitar

there's not much more to add on here, but i wanted to give fender some action on this post

i'm one of those guys mentioned earlier, i love me an ac30, but i've found my home in fender amps. i do think that a hot rod would be a great choice. i'm a huge jeff buckley fan, he started off with a roland jc120 then used a fender vibroverb reissue and then moved to a mesa (i believe it was a tremoverb). I like the cleans on the ac30 as well, it's really all with what you like better. if you look around hard enough you might be able to grab a silverface amp for within your budget or not too far over it, don't worry about what fender snobs say about silverface amps, they are still good.

as far as reverb, i think fender reverb is great and very useable. as with the vox reverb a well. if you're in a toss up between the two you will not make a bad choice
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
gerraguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #22
ironicallyindie
chill dude

Get a Vox Acwhatever or some fender hot rod/blues deluxe/deville/junior/twin reverb or something similar. Irrelevant question, but is your username a reference to a film called "the room"?
ironicallyindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #23
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatAStoryMark
Thanks, Dave, you've been really helpful.

Hopefully I'll post back here in a couple of days/ a week with the results.

no problem good luck

Quote:
Oh, and a final question, I've been looking at the Peavey 6505 and it looks like it has good specs. Is there a particular reason that none of you recommended it?

yeah it's pretty much the benchmark modern metal super-high-gain tube amp. it's a nice amp, just totally not what you want.

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #24
WhatAStoryMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironicallyindie
Irrelevant question, but is your username a reference to a film called "the room"?

Indeed it is, and what a great film it is too.

Right now I'm thinking I'll either get a blues junior or an AC15 but I have another question.

From what I understand both of those amps have 'upgrades' which improve the amps and I was just wondering how likely it is that I would later end up regretting not buying the upgraded version? My budget is not all that flexible but I don't have a dying urge to buy an amp right now (although the longer I think about it and the more shops I go to with amps to play the urge is growing). So I was thinking that I could, in theory, simply save up the money for an amp and buy it a couple of months down the line.

What do you all think? Or would the amp I'd be buying at this point be really good anyway?

Last edited by WhatAStoryMark : 02-03-2013 at 02:45 PM.
WhatAStoryMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #25
WhatAStoryMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraguitar
don't worry about what fender snobs say about silverface amps, they are still good.

I'm really sorry but I have no idea what a silverface amp is? This will be the first amp I've ever actually bought and so I'm pretty new at all of this, although I do find it very interesting.

Thanks for your reply as well, it's really good to hear that they are both good options.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #26
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

silverface were the ones after fender was sold to cbs. late 60s into the 70s (i think).

whoich models of the ac15 and blues junior are you looking at? i'm not sure about upgrades, i think there are different versions of the blues junior with better speakers, though.

er....

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #27
WhatAStoryMark

Here are the links on a website I found. http://www.thomann.de/gb/vox_ac15_cc1.htm
And http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_blues_junior_iii.htm
With a blues junior would it be accurate to assume that a blues deluxe reissue would be an improvement?

EDIT: I apologise for the ridiculous manner in which I phrased the opening line, I understand that it is a major website and I'm not claiming that I am the first finder.

Last edited by WhatAStoryMark : 02-03-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #28
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ i'm not sure it's so much that it's better, it's that it's bigger and has more features. EDIT: lol no worries

er....

Quote:
Old 02-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #29
WhatAStoryMark

That's good then, would those two versions be the best versions? I think they're the ones that I played.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #30
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Kustom Defender 50, for sure.

Absolutely nails those slightly crunchy clean tones, great dynamics. One of the best amps ever made in the sub-400 bracket.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #31
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

^^ I havent played the Defender, but I own a 36' coupe.

The cleans on the coupe are amazing! Its modeled after a BF Bassman. The drive channel is good as well, it just takes a little tweaking, and an I highly recommed a speaker swap to a eminence c-rex.

Kustom amps put out a great product. Its a shame that they don't get more recognition.

I totally agree with Dave on the Traynors. They are great amp, built soild as hell. Fantastic cleans, and a good drive as well.

I think that you really what, if you can get your hands on it, is an older Traynor YBA. Basically a plexi that a cross between the Fender Bassman, and the Marshal JTM. I'm still holding out to find a good deal on one of these. Its prob a little out of your price range, and maybe a little harder to get it you area.
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Vox AC30CCH
Mesa Boogie 212
Randall 212+115
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #32
WhatAStoryMark

Right...

Well that's complicated matters, in a good way, more options is always good.

Are Kustoms reasonably widely available? Because I've yet to see one in a music shop (although I only ever really go in to two and they sell very mainstream stuff) and to red.guitar, on the Traynor front how would you describe their cleans? I've not played one yet and have never heard one (to my knowledge). Are there any bands that play through Traynors?
Old 02-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #33
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

IMO... Traynors have a very thick, lush clean tone. I my experience you've got to drive the amp pretty hard (and at lound levels) to get the cleans to breakup. But when they breakup, you get that pure rock n' roll od (think Angus Young).

They are great platform amps, meaning that they can take pledals very well. And like Dave mentioned, the drive channel is actually usuable.

The rhythm guitarist in an old band I was in used the YCS90 combo. Man was that a nice amp, and loud as hell! It had a fantastic drive channel, and sick cleans, like you would expect from a vintage traynor. Put it this way, if I seen a good deal pop up on the head version, I wouldnt even think twice about picking it up; but I'm happy enough with my JCA50H for now But its def a piece that will find its way into my amp collecetion, unless I can get my hands on it predecessor, the YBA!

I believe big sugar, and big wreck use traynors, atleast thats what their site says
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Vox AC30CCH
Mesa Boogie 212
Randall 212+115

Last edited by red.guitar : 02-03-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #34
WhatAStoryMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.guitar
IMO... Traynors have a very thick, lush clean tone. I my experience you've got to drive the amp pretty hard (and at lound levels) to get the cleans to breakup. But when they breakup, you get that pure rock n' roll od (think Angus Young).

They are great platform amps, meaning that they can take pledals very well. And like Dave mentioned, the drive channel is actually usuable.

The rhythm guitarist in an old band I was in used the YCS90 combo. Man was that a nice amp, and loud as hell! It had a fantastic drive channel, and sick cleans, like you would expect from a vintage traynor. Put it this way, if I seen a good deal pop up on the head version, I wouldnt even think twice about picking it up; but I'm happy enough with my JCA50H for now But its def a piece that will find its way into my amp collecetion, unless I can get my hands on it predecessor, the YBA!

I believe big sugar, and big wreck use traynors, atleast thats what their site says

Thanks for taking the time to reply, that is incredibly helpful.

In your opinion is the one recommended by Dave (http://www.thomann.de/gb/traynor_ycv50b.htm) a solid choice for my situation?

Would it be able to accomplish a sufficiently Buckley-esque tone to please my ears?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #35
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
That's good then, would those two versions be the best versions? I think they're the ones that I played.

i think they're both the bog standard versions. that being said, i'm not sure paying extra for a speaker upgrade which might not be the upgrade you'd choose is maybe the best plan either (assuming a speaker upgrade is straightforward... it normally is, but some amps' chassis can be awkward shapes etc. which can complicate things).

fwiw i think the traynor ycv50b is the better amp... but whether it's better for what you want is the thing. it'll also have more headroom (though that can be a double-edged sword, depending on what you need).

the kustom coupe is very nice (i haven't tried the defender) but it's really dear over here for some reason. in the USA it's a good option for the price it goes for there. here it's like 800 or something silly and I'm not sure it's worth that (especially when the traynor is half the price and arguably no worse).

er....

Quote:
Old 02-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #36
WhatAStoryMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i think they're both the bog standard versions. that being said, i'm not sure paying extra for a speaker upgrade which might not be the upgrade you'd choose is maybe the best plan either (assuming a speaker upgrade is straightforward... it normally is, but some amps' chassis can be awkward shapes etc. which can complicate things).

fwiw i think the traynor ycv50b is the better amp... but whether it's better for what you want is the thing. it'll also have more headroom (though that can be a double-edged sword, depending on what you need).

the kustom coupe is very nice (i haven't tried the defender) but it's really dear over here for some reason. in the USA it's a good option for the price it goes for there. here it's like 800 or something silly and I'm not sure it's worth that (especially when the traynor is half the price and arguably no worse).

It seems to me then that my next step would be to play the Traynor and see how it feels to me.

Are they common in guitar shops?
Old 02-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #37
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

Quote:
It seems to me then that my next step would be to play the Traynor and see how it feels to me.

Another old bandmate of mine had some version of the ycv...

It was a great amp, and took pedals well. Like Dave said, it would probably have more headroom compared to the ycs... It all depends what you want.

Go try them and see!
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Vox AC30CCH
Mesa Boogie 212
Randall 212+115
Old 02-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #38
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:

nope, they don't have a distributor in the UK at the moment unfortunately. they used to have several years ago, so it's basically down to dumb luck, if any old dealers still have stock or if you happen to find one second-hand for sale in a local shop.

er....

Quote:
Old 02-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #39
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Are Kustoms reasonably widely available? Because I've yet to see one in a music shop (although I only ever really go in to two and they sell very mainstream stuff) and to red.guitar

Their beginner stuff is common but their better valve amps are pretty rare.

The Defender 50 got discontinued a while ago, I think. Thomann blew them out for something ridiculous like 250, I hugely regret not grabbing one.

Only place I can find that has them still in stock is this site: http://www.sounds4uentertainment.co...fier-7496-p.asp. Judging by the dodgy graphic design they're not exactly fussy about their website, so it might simply be that they haven't got round to removing the page, but that's still a hell of an amp for that price.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #40
WhatAStoryMark

Hello again everyone,

I just thought that I would add some further news, I am going to be buying the Traynor after some serious discussions with the man behind the counter in the guitar shop and reflection on the advice that I was given here.

But I would also like to look into buying a reverb pedal. Is there a particular thread or place that I should ask about this?

Rate This Thread: