Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-01-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
hardcore81
licensed douchebag

Gibson SGJ

Does anyone know anything about these guitars? I found a gorgeous one on Sweetwater but can't find much info about them online and there aren't any near me that I can try out

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SGJT2CH-13d/#

My band's Facebook

My band's Bandcamp

My band's Youtube

My Youtube channel

My doom project
hardcore81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:29 AM   #2
jpnyc

Just another low-end American Gibson. If you like the look and get one without problems itís probably a good deal for the money.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:31 AM   #3
ccannon1
Band Geek

looks beautiful, and doesn't have a bad price for an American-made guitar. I'd go ahead and get it. I think you can send it back if you're not satisfied.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:38 AM   #4
Angusman60
I think, therefore, I am.

In my experience, Gibson's low end suffers quite a bit. I would really make sure you can try one before you buy it. Especially since that is brand new model for 2013....I think...Within the last year anyway. It is a beautiful guitar, though!

For the same price, you might consider an Epi... But I understand if you don't want that name on your guitar. There are other options such as Hagstrom, Schecter, etc.

...But still... I get ya... A Gibby is a Gibby... That's why I have my SG Standard.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
Angusman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:43 AM   #5
Alucard817

I doodled on one earlier today at GC. It wasn't a bad guitar, actually I thought it was nicer than the price tag suggested.

I also test drove one of the new studios today as well. Holy hell that thing was nice.

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:51 AM   #6
Angusman60

Les Paul Studio?

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
Old 02-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #7
jpnyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard817
I also test drove one of the new studios today as well. Holy hell that thing was nice.

I picked up a blowout LP studio in November. Itís now my #1. The build quality on low end Gibsons is a lot better than they get credit for.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:54 AM   #8
Ippon
Amped

I need one of those.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #9
Angusman60

I feel it's either hit of miss as far as quality. I've played some that I was like "whoaaaaa, man." and I've played some where I was like "and they put these frets on how?".

My Website
Old 02-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #10
Alucard817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angusman60
Les Paul Studio?

Yeppie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnyc
I picked up a blowout LP studio in November. Itís now my #1. The build quality on low end Gibsons is a lot better than they get credit for.

Well the build quality deserved some of that flak. I think with the newer guitars Gibson is seriously trying to bring back their reputation.

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:00 AM   #11
Angusman60

I'd imagine. Especially when so many people have gone over to PRS. PRS is the new brand that when someone has one (a real one, not SE) you think "They must be somebody."...

My Website
Old 02-02-2013, 03:46 AM   #12
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus

Played one for a short time and kind of liked it.
Didn't have much time with it though.

A Faded SG I played in a store once is pretty much my favourite SG I've ever played.

Really like those satin-finished Gibsons.
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
JesusCrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:50 AM   #13
Androidjoey

Being a gibson lover especially sg's i can say they are very much love hate even from the same model I would highly recommend you play one first.
Androidjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #14
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Early reports suggest they are the same as the previous 'Faded', 'Worn' and 'Vintage Mahogany' lines and are on par with Studios and Specials.

They look nice and they get the same PLEK treatment as every other Gibson, so they probably play nicely. I don't doubt that they get the less desirable cuts of wood, but at that price point it should be expected and even the worst wood that Gibson uses is drastically nicer than the best wood used in guitars from Epiphone, Agile, Vintage and other copy brands.

Only thing I don't like about them is the flat-covered pickups Just serves no purpose and I think bare bobbins would fit the wrecked look better. Still, easy enough change, anyway.

Plus it's the cheapest way to get the Min-ETune system.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #15
monwobobbo

maple neck instead of mahogany is kind of a turn off for me. have to try one.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #16
bware

I purchased a "Blemished" SGJ from Zzounds. It felt good and played well up the neck (24 frets). The rubbed white finish is striking like a blizzard. I could not find any appearance blemishes, but all the strings fretted just slightly sharp on the first few frets. It became very noticeable when playing with other instruments. The G string bent under typically downward pressure on the first couple of frets. I experimented with neck relief and bridge height to no avail. My best guess is that the nut was notched too far up from the fretboard. Zzounds granted an RMA, so I await the replacement. But I agree that the lower end Gibsons can be winners if set up properly. I have a "worn cherry" used Les Paul Studio that sings.
bware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #17
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bware
I purchased a "Blemished" SGJ from Zzounds. It felt good and played well up the neck (24 frets). The rubbed white finish is striking like a blizzard. I could not find any appearance blemishes, but all the strings fretted just slightly sharp on the first few frets. It became very noticeable when playing with other instruments. The G string bent under typically downward pressure on the first couple of frets. I experimented with neck relief and bridge height to no avail. My best guess is that the nut was notched too far up from the fretboard. Zzounds granted an RMA, so I await the replacement. But I agree that the lower end Gibsons can be winners if set up properly. I have a "worn cherry" used Les Paul Studio that sings.

Sounds like the intonation was off, which is a easy fix
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #18
Robbo1503

I tried out the Gibson SGJ yesterday to compare it with the Gibson SG Special and much preferred the SGJ. The neck was much slimmer and more comfortable to play yet the fretboard was fatter so i had more freedom with it. It is a super light guitar which i did not feel after the 40 minutes of having it on a strap whereas i often have this problem with les pauls. I loved the finish on it and i preferred this to the glossy smooth finish of other SG's. I noticed a better Tone on the pickups to those on the Special and also i preferred the hardware ( The machine heads stayed in tune better and i also thought they look really decent too )

I would certainly recommend this guitar to somebody who wants a good guitar at a very reasonable price. It is suited to different styles of music, easy to play with the 24 fret neck and low action and it looks incredible in whichever finish.

I would say to try one out first because obviously my opinions on it wont be the same as everybodys.

If you are looking for an affordable SG i would highly recommend this one over the Special and youll also save a few quid left over to change hardware or whatever.
Robbo1503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #19
Ippon
Amped

Nice Bang for the $$$ SG ... felt/sounded really nice!
Old 09-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #20
WilhelmTGFRyan

I played one in a GC a few months ago..

It looks nice, the factory set up sucked, sounded like a faded.

It seems like me to be the replacement to the budget faded series, which was a killer series for the price at the time.
WilhelmTGFRyan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: