Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-02-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
mace200200

Can I run my amps line out to an audio interface?

Question in title, basically I like the way my amp sounds so I'd like to hear it that way when I record stuff, and in the recordings themselves. Not sure what one I want to order yet but it's going to be to USB, if that plays any role.
I'd like to run it this way with both my bass and my guitar.
I'm looking to spend around $50 or less if you have any suggestions, as I've never done any recording before.
mace200200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:17 AM   #2
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Yes & No. If you like your amp the way it sounds, you're going to want to buy a mic & audio interface and mic it. Going line out bypasses the speaker cabinet which is more than half the amps tone. Have you thought about using amp simulator plugins? We have a whole sticky thread dedicated to them.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:46 AM   #3
mace200200

I don't think I really like the idea of using a mic. To much background noise in my house, I think it would complicate things further for me. Amp simulators sound like something that would be cool to play with though. So then if I don't use my amp I take it I just listen to myself play through headphones plugged into either my pc or the interface itself?
Also I forgot to add in my first post, as for stomp boxes I can just plug that in between my guitar/bass and the interface just like I would playing through an amp right?
Old 02-02-2013, 02:55 AM   #4
mace200200

Ok I'm really confused now, the one I was looking at turns out not to have a 1/4" jack. I was under the assumption I could plug my guitar right into it so how does it work? Or am I just looking at the wrong type of interface?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...audio-interface
Old 02-02-2013, 02:57 AM   #5
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by mace200200
I don't think I really like the idea of using a mic. To much background noise in my house, I think it would complicate things further for me. Amp simulators sound like something that would be cool to play with though. So then if I don't use my amp I take it I just listen to myself play through headphones plugged into either my pc or the interface itself?

The interface, unless you want to piss fart around with ASIO4ALL to use different devices for input and output. But otherwise yes, just enable monitoring on the track you're recording (there should be a little icon, probably speaker shaped, on the track for it) then make sure your interface is set for output monitoring.

Quote:
Also I forgot to add in my first post, as for stomp boxes I can just plug that in between my guitar/bass and the interface just like I would playing through an amp right?

You can if you want to, and it's probably fine for demos and stuff. But if you're planning on trying to make something sounding as close to pro as you can (how close that is depends on how much time/effort you're willing to spend) then you're probably going to get a better sound using automation and VSTs for anything other than expression pedals.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:26 AM   #6
mace200200

Yea I didn't do enough research before asking about this and after reading the recording FAQ from here I'm totally lost. I think I'll wait until I can get a multi effects pedal with a USB outport. Because then you can just plug that into your computer to record wothout a whole bunch of other stuff right?
Old 02-02-2013, 03:54 AM   #7
mace200200

Wait...I think I found the kind of thing I'm looking for.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...ecording-studio
I would be able to plug my guitar right into this, plug it into my computer with USB, then use headphones to hear myself right?
Old 02-02-2013, 04:35 AM   #8
chatterbox272

Quote:
Yea I didn't do enough research before asking about this and after reading the recording FAQ from here I'm totally lost. I think I'll wait until I can get a multi effects pedal with a USB outport. Because then you can just plug that into your computer to record wothout a whole bunch of other stuff right?

Yeah but they're not exactly great (I know, I use a DigiTech BP355 myself)

Quote:
Wait...I think I found the kind of thing I'm looking for.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...ecording-studio
I would be able to plug my guitar right into this, plug it into my computer with USB, then use headphones to hear myself right?

Yes that would work fine. What you want to do is set that up in your DAW. Enable the track monitoring, then turn the "Monitor Mix" knob fully up (or down, I'm not entirely sure but it'll be full one way) so that you only hear the affected sound from your DAW, not the raw input from the interface.

Quote:
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
mace200200

Yea i think thats the way I'm going to go, thats exactly the kind of thing i first thought i was looking at. People like seem to like that particular one enough (except for the software it comes with).
One last question, what's a DAW? Is that like the virtual amps/ effects and stuff?
Old 02-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
chatterbox272

Ah, DAW is an acronym for Digital Audio Workstation. It's the software that you use for recording, it also hosts your VST plugins which include amp sims and effects and stuff.

Quote:
Old 02-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #11
mace200200

Aah so I guess I had it confused with VSTs. Thanks,
Old 06-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
Diminishedfaith
Useful Idiot

Location: If the sky were to suddenly open up, there would be no law, there would be no rule. There would only be you and your memories.
not sure if i'm too late but i've recorded with the rocksmith cable directly into my pc usb into audacity and it works fine.

http://www.gamestop.com/accessories...one-cable/97607

also it's only like 30 bucks or under depending on where you look.

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

PSN account - DeadAimHeadshot
Diminishedfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:03 AM   #13
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Way late. 4 months late

Rate This Thread: