Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
Ciaran_Deighton

Peavey Vypyr help. Please

Hey, sorry if there is already 100 other threads on this if there is would like it if one could link me to a good thread.

Ok, so my Peavey Vypyr 60 watt tube is very difficult to use, I have very little control of the sounds I get from it, I need a link to somewhere that could teach me how, not just the Peavey website I am looking for someone too walk me through how to change sound and how to get different sounds. All help is appreciated, thanks.
Ciaran_Deighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
Offworld92
One among the fence.

What exactly are you trying to do with it that you're having trouble with?

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
Ciaran_Deighton

Just turning off the reverb and delay, change the tones, make it sound more heavy or punk, sorry I am a new guitarist so I don't really know what I want because I haven't had the option to explore different sounds, thanks so much for the reply.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Push in the "effects" knob to enter Edit Mode. There is a light underneath the effects knob that will indicate if you're in Edit Mode or not.

When you're in Edit Mode, the pre-gain, low, mid, high & post-gain knobs will control the parameters listed below those knobs. When you're not in Edit Mode, they control the parameters stated on top of the knobs.

So enter Edit Mode, and your Mid and High knobs will let you alter your Delay, and your Post-Gain knob will let you alter your reverb.

How long have you had the amp? It takes a little while to get used to - just set some time out, take a deep breath, and sit down in front of it. It is not a complicated unit, even if it appears so. It really is WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get). Everything you can do on the amp is right there on the control panel.

I can try to help you more, I've owned 3 Vypyrs and I consider myself pretty familiar with them. Just try to be more specific in your questions - tell us exactly what settings you're using right now, and what you don't like about your sound, and we can go from there.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
Ciaran_Deighton

Ok will try tomorrow, its 1 am where I'm at and my neighbours are dicks and complain about the slightest noise, after I try what you told me I will have more of an idea of what I want, thank you so much, nice to have help, where I live the musicians are really arrogant and wont help anyone.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

If you are trying to just get a heavy tone and turn off the reverb and delay then do what I do.

Offworld can help me fill in the blanks.

Turn on the amp
Turn the 'Stompboxes' knob to Bypass
Press the 'Stompboxes' knob in to make sure the Edit LED under the 'Pre Gain' knob is NOT lit.
(in other words you are not using any stompboxes and just the amp)
Then turn the 'Amp' knob to Recto and press that knob so that the amp LED is red (more gain)
Then turn the 'Effects' knob to bypass and make sure its LED is green
Turn the 'Pre Gain' knob to about 1 o'clock. Its LED should be red
Then turn the 'Low' to 2 o'clock
'Mid' to 3 o'clock
'High' to 1 o'clock
(these LEDs should all be green)
Then turn the 'Post Gain' to maybe 11 o'clock. Its LED should be red
Set Master to taste - I usually go with 10 or 11 o'clock
Once you've done this press and hold the 'Presets '1'' button under the amp model knob
Press and hold until its LED turns red again.

You've just saved all of these setting we just walked through as Preset #1.
There are 4 presets per bank. You can see the Bank A, B and C to the left of the Preset buttons. I'm guessing you are in Bank A now. Next time you turn on your amp you may need to press 'Preset 1' but it should take you right to this point.

This should be a good starting point for punk and metal.

If you want to add delay or reverb then we can tackle that next or let Offworld help further because I don't mess with the effects much. Sometimes I go for 'Slapback' if I'm doing Van Halen type stuff.

have fun

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 02-02-2013 at 02:11 PM.
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: